Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164/)
-   -   Calling all locksmiths ! (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164/calling-all-locksmiths-136380.html)

towmommy 06-08-2015 10:38 AM

Calling all locksmiths !

Hey all, I've lost my keys :( and evidently my mind . Ive got a '79 31ft international and need the key that I locks the potable water tank . Any ideas , suggestions or replacement options would be greatly appreciated.

DKB_SATX 06-08-2015 10:52 AM

In this thread you'll find a key chart.

If your trailer still has the original locks, you can get the keys from some Airstream dealers, and I've ordered some from Out Of Doors Mart for much less than it'll cost you to get a locksmith to even look at your trailer, much less work on it. The compartment keys were the same for all trailers made, just the entry-door keys had variation.

Lumatic 06-08-2015 11:23 AM

If you don't remember where you put your keys that's one thing, but when you can't remember what your keys are for that may be another matter entirely.

drboyd 06-08-2015 11:27 AM

Try all of your other trailer keys in that lock before you push the panic button...

towmommy 06-09-2015 10:24 AM

Thank you all! First post most helpful . That key is different from all the other stow doors. It's long and slender. I've got many copies of the others but.... Well you know how that sentence ends. All original locks so I will give out of doors mart a jingle ....

AWCHIEF 06-09-2015 10:28 AM

Most locksmiths now have the key blanks and can rekey or cut for all model year Airstream at much reduced cost than RV parts suppliers.

towmommy 06-09-2015 10:29 AM

Thank you especially for the key chart!!! What a time saver . Love you folks .

TomKirk 06-09-2015 11:11 AM

I keep an entire second set of keys for everything. I also have a hide-a-key for the entrance door (just in case).

You need to think ahead. It's about being pro-active. Keys are cheap; inconvenience is not.

Tom

Foiled Again 06-09-2015 12:47 PM

If you have a child - there goeth your keys. Make it known even to a 20 month old that if she/he can find daddy's big gingle keys, everyone goes for ICE CREAM.... the keys will reappear from the depths of the couch or toy chest just like magic.

Paula

tjdonahoe 06-09-2015 04:14 PM

:DI have 3 sets of keys, because one time I shut the door and it locked, keys were inside, ever see a almost naked fat boy crawl in the trunk then lift the bed to get in??

Lumatic 06-09-2015 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjdonahoe (Post 1634800)
:Dever see a almost naked fat boy crawl in the trunk then lift the bed to get in??

Been there done that.

I have an extra set of trailer keys in the glove compartment of my truck, an extra set of truck keys in the trailer and an extra truck ignition key inside my hitch.

TomKirk 06-09-2015 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foiled Again (Post 1634716)
If you have a child - there goeth your keys. Make it known even to a 20 month old that if she/he can find daddy's big gingle keys, everyone goes for ICE CREAM.... the keys will reappear from the depths of the couch or toy chest just like magic.

Paula

If you've got a toddler, look in the toilet - and beyond. This is no LOL matter. I raised 6 kids. I speak from experience.

Tom

SeeMore 06-09-2015 11:05 PM

Retrieval Tool

If you are going to follow TomKirk's advice, the instructions here might be valuable:

Reverse Periscope with Live Video Feed

:brows:

towmommy 06-10-2015 11:42 AM

Tom you sound like my bother tom who called me a bobo :/ it's the only key I dint have the duplicate .... Of course! Stories are priceless folks, especially the kid up the hatch, with five kids of my own I've had to shove a kid or two up there myself .