Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164/)
-   -   Vintage Door Lock Needed (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164/vintage-door-lock-needed-135760.html)

StevieB 05-28-2015 05:09 AM

Vintage Door Lock Needed

2 Attachment(s)
I am looking for a "Vintage" Dead Bolt Lock Mechanism. Please see the attached pic. I am looking for the outside and internal parts of this lock, or the whole lock itself. Can anyone help me? I have searched, but no luck, ..... so I thought that I would try a posting.
Thanks!
StevieB

Minno 05-28-2015 06:57 AM

That looks a lot like the deadbolt Vintage Trailer Supply sells:

Custom Airstream Deadbolt

StevieB 05-28-2015 03:16 PM

Thanks, but not exactly what I need

Thanks for sharing, but that lock is very nice, I actually purchased one, but it is not exactly what I need. I would like to find an original one. My AS is a 1963, and this replacement has a satin finish, and I am looking for the old school original one that is gloss. Thanks, but keep trying for me, I really appreciate it. Maybe there is someone that has an old salvaged door, or parts laying around their garage.

Regards,
StevieB

Minno 05-30-2015 12:37 PM

Is there a hot rod shop close to you? Maybe they can chrome plate the satin lock from VTS. Just a thought - I have no idea how much that would cost.

Chris

clydecrashcu 05-31-2015 10:48 AM

Don't believe it is original

I could be mistaken, but I don't believe it is original to 63. Our 68 didn't have a deadbolt lock. There are more knowledgable on vintage. Make post on vintage sites.

Jacob D 05-31-2015 05:23 PM

My 67 has an original dead bolt. I think it came from the factory that way, but I suppose it is possible the dealer could have added it. I can't imagine AS would have sold any unit with a suicide door and no dead bolt.

Cochese 06-01-2015 05:24 AM

That is identical to the one on my 63 GT. I doubt you'll find a new one,BTW, those were never shiny....

NavyCorpsman 06-01-2015 08:03 AM

Same problem here. The PO removed mine for reasons unknown. The deadbolt works perfectly and can be set with a 1/4 inch key stock. If I cant find one, I will make one.
Another option is the forum classifieds. I bought 3 nearly impossible to find items that way. Two of them found me. Somebody has one in a dusty box in the garage.
Good luck.

StevieB 06-02-2015 05:02 AM

Door Lock

Thanks Sailor! I have posted on Exterior Restoration, The Airstream Classifieds, and obviously here. I am hoping that you are right, .... someone with one in an old box, set up in the garage attic remembers that they might have one to share.

Thanks for your reply,
StevieB

NavyCorpsman 06-03-2015 08:32 PM

You're welcome. Happy hunting!

StevieB 06-30-2015 08:29 PM

Lock?

Help!

I am still looking ......

Thanks,
StevieB

AWCHIEF 06-30-2015 08:57 PM

I was scanning eBay Airstream listings and there were several vintage locks. Might be worth a look.