Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164/)
-   -   How do I install a regular dead bolt lock to Airstream (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164/how-do-i-install-a-regular-dead-bolt-lock-to-airstream-134681.html)

MyNancy1977 05-05-2015 05:48 AM

How do I install a regular dead bolt lock to Airstream

I bought a dead bolt lock that can work with my 1977 airstream. Bought it at rv store.nut how do I install it...I've done regular doors , but there's 2 type of measurement what does that mean.

HowieE 05-05-2015 07:19 AM

Hand sets for domestic door generally have 2 setback measurement to allow the know to be set in 2 different locations with respect to the door jame. I am not familiar with that options for a dead blot. can you post a picture of what you have?

MyNancy1977 05-05-2015 08:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
He works on airstreams and said it would work

HowieE 05-05-2015 08:37 AM

Is there currently a strike plate and hole in the door jam from an old lock?

Measure the depth of the hole, that will limit the amount of bolt tongue that can be extended into the jam. Extend the dead bolt and mark the tongue with that hole depth. From that mark measure to the center line of the lock set. Assuming there is a gap between the door and the door jam that dimension should give you location to the center of lock set on the door.

If there is not a hole in the door jam to accept the dead bolt. create that hole first so you can determine what you have to work with.

DKB_SATX 05-05-2015 08:39 AM

I like the one that Vintage Trailer Supply sells... the cylinder end is a normal deadbolt, but the bolt itself is a much smaller, circular profile so it only requires a small hole drilled in the frame and the edge of the door.

TomKirk 05-05-2015 11:17 AM

I've been wanting a dead bolt on my '77 AS for some time. But my screen door seems to be in the way. Let me know what you figure out.

Tom

DKB_SATX 05-05-2015 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomKirk (Post 1617260)
I've been wanting a dead bolt on my '77 AS for some time. But my screen door seems to be in the way. Let me know what you figure out.

Tom

Deadbolts of the type pictured above and the one I mentioned from VTS mount in the wall of the trailer and just the bolt projects into the edge of the door, it shouldn't interfere with the screen in any way. I have a modified residential one in installed that way in my '75 Argosy and bought the VTS one for my '76 Argosy project trailer.

TomKirk 05-05-2015 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKB_SATX (Post 1617289)
Deadbolts of the type pictured above and the one I mentioned from VTS mount in the wall of the trailer and just the bolt projects into the edge of the door, it shouldn't interfere with the screen in any way. I have a modified residential one in installed that way in my '75 Argosy and bought the VTS one for my '76 Argosy project trailer.

That's brilliant. I never thought of that. Thank you.

Tom

MyNancy1977 05-06-2015 08:15 AM

Thanks