Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Tow Vehicles (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463/)
-   -   Towing Capacity Questions (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463/towing-capacity-questions-132376.html)

ForrestJanet 03-15-2015 02:09 PM

Towing Capacity Questions

We are so new to this...Looking to buy an Airstream in the next 18 months or so. We currently have a 2012 Hyundai Sante Fe. We are thinking about 18-22 feet long. Will our car tow this size...will we be looking at a new car as well? Just trying to find what will work...Thanks for your input.

n2916s 03-15-2015 02:27 PM

Look at your drivers-side door post -- there will be a sticker there that tells you what the max payload is for your vehicle. Then look in your owners manual and see what the tow rating is for it.

So, now, when you are researching trailers, you know what tongue weight (which is payload) you can carry, plus what gross weight you can tow. Keep in mind that tongue weight is almost always higher than advertised BUT some of the tongue weight will be levered back to the trailer axle(s).

It gets complex when you add people, dogs, bbq's, ...

Mike

AWCHIEF 03-15-2015 04:03 PM

2012 Hyundai Sante Fe has a 3500 pound towing capacity with the V6 and factory towing package. 2000 with the 4 cyl.

andreasduess 03-15-2015 04:47 PM

Car and Driver talks about a 5000lbs towing capacity with a trailer package, whatever that means.

I have no opinion on this car, having never driven one, but the engine has a good reputation and ample power. Six gears also help to get the rig moving.

I'd put in a call to CanAm RV in London, Ontario, and ask them for their feedback. They are, depending on your viewpoint, either towing experts or the earthly manifestation of the antichrist. I am firmly in the first camp, the second camp is made up mainly of those who believe it impossible to tow anything but with a one ton truck.

Whatever you decide, talking to them will make you smarter and better informed, even if you decide to ignore their opinion, or end up disagreeing with it.

Wingeezer 03-15-2015 05:29 PM

And meaning absolutely no disrespect whatsoever to Andy, whereas Canadians seem to have a reputation for towing with smaller vehicles, I am one Canadian who is firmly in the opposite camp!

I have progressively towed with larger and larger vehicles, moving from a Safari AWD minivan to a 1/2 ton truck to a 3/4 ton diesel truck

With each move, I have found the towing experience to be much more relaxing. I also now tow with a Hensley hitch - no doubt that, or a similar Pro-pride hitch designed on a similar basis further enhance the towing experience.

Apart from the physical increased comfort in towing, to me there is also a mental aspect!

From a possible liability aspect, I like to know that my tow vehicle is rated by the manufacturer to be capable of towing what I do in fact tow by a considerable margin - just in case.

For me, the peace of mind is worth it! Others may feel that this is meaningless.

You "Pays your money and takes your choice" as the expression goes! Not saying anyone is wrong! This can be a rather contentious subject!

The other thing for our style of camping is that we tend to take a lot of "stuff" with us on or trips. I have a Leer cap on the bed of our truck, so the truck as well as the back seat area (It is a crew cab) serves as the "basement" for our trailer and keeps the trailer relatively clutter-free on our trips.

Brian.

ROBERT CROSS 03-15-2015 05:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wingeezer (Post 1593810)
And meaning absolutely no disrespect whatsoever to Andy, whereas Canadians seem to have a reputation for towing with smaller vehicles, I am one Canadian who is firmly in the opposite camp!

I have progressively towed with larger and larger vehicles, moving from a Safari AWD minivan to a 1/2 ton truck to a 3/4 ton diesel truck

With each move, I have found the towing experience to be much more relaxing. I also now tow with a Hensley hitch - no doubt that, or a similar Pro-pride hitch designed on a similar basis further enhance the towing experience.

Apart from the physical increased comfort in towing, to me there is also a mental aspect!

From a possible liability aspect, I like to know that my tow vehicle is rated by the manufacturer to be capable of towing what I do in fact tow by a considerable margin - just in case.

For me, the peace of mind is worth it! Others may feel that this is meaningless.

You "Pays your money and takes your choice" as the expression goes! Not saying anyone is wrong! This can be a rather contentious subject!

The other thing for our style of camping is that we tend to take a lot of "stuff" with us on or trips. I have a Leer cap on the bed of our truck, so the truck as well as the back seat area (It is a crew cab) serves as the "basement" for our trailer and keeps the trailer relatively clutter-free on our trips.

Brian.

Yep...... it's nice to be able to take everything you want- NEED;)

Bob

Just me, but....I wouldn't toe with a SF.

xrvr 03-15-2015 06:32 PM

Here we go again! Jim

AWCHIEF 03-15-2015 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi (Post 1593841)
Here we go again! Jim

And again and again. All part of the Wheel Of Time.

Road Ruler 03-15-2015 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andreasduess (Post 1593790)

I'd put in a call to CanAm RV in London, Ontario, and ask them for their feedback.

Good advice considering there are very few here that have experience towing with a Santa Fe.

r carl 03-15-2015 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForrestJanet (Post 1593725)
We are so new to this...Looking to buy an Airstream in the next 18 months or so. We currently have a 2012 Hyundai Sante Fe. We are thinking about 18-22 feet long. Will our car tow this size...will we be looking at a new car as well? Just trying to find what will work...Thanks for your input.

Maybe you should be thinking airstream sport 16. :brows:

PaulnGina 03-15-2015 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andreasduess (Post 1593790)
..... the second camp is made up mainly of those who believe it impossible to tow anything but with a one ton truck.

Now wait a minute..... I know you can tow just about anything Airstream makes with a 3/4-ton... :)

I can't imagine towing much of a trailer (and taking all of your "stuff" along) with a Santa Fe. MHO, of course. Find a good new or used 3/4-ton truck, keep your Santa Fe for shopping trips.

MrUKToad 03-15-2015 09:00 PM

I'm sure that I've read threads on here about the Santa Fe and its potential for towing; maybe a search would be in order?

Always speak to the Antichrist, sorry, Andy Thompson, to get an informed view of the Hyundai's capabilities.

MrUKToad 03-15-2015 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS (Post 1593820)
Yep...... it's nice to be able to take everything you want- NEED;)

Bob

Just me, but....I wouldn't toe with a SF.

Need.... yes.... nothing but the essentials....

:lol:

ROBERTSUNRUS 03-15-2015 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wingeezer (Post 1593810)
Brian.

:) Hi, Brian; Are you sure you're from Canada? :rolleyes: