Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   portable surgeprotectors?? (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/portable-surgeprotectors-131700.html)

unifreck 02-26-2015 12:19 PM

portable surgeprotectors??

Does it make any difference if the portable surgeprotector is attached between the pedestal and extension cord or the extension cord and the trailer/van connection???

Thank you for your interest in helping this fairly new retiree.

Britbat 02-26-2015 12:26 PM

I'm also interest in the replays to this as I'm thinking of shortening my shore line and hiding the surge protector in the trunk of our '75 Overlander due to posts I've see about theft of them.

SteveH 02-26-2015 12:35 PM

It makes no difference, but they make the same protectors designed to be mounted inside your unit, and hard wired into place. That's what I did, and so I know it's always in place, and always protecting my appliances.

wahoonc 02-26-2015 01:07 PM

Doesn't make any difference. Only advantage to portable one is that it is easy to replace if it gets toasted. The hard wired ones, not so much. FWIW I have never had one stolen in 15 years of using them, and have never heard of one being stolen in any campground I have ever stayed in.

Aaron:cool:

SteveH 02-26-2015 03:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just more of my opinion here, but I installed the permanent unit because I didn't want to have to haul out yet another device every time I hooked up to utilities, especially something that needed to be protected from rain, and possible theft.

With the water hose, water filter, power cord, and most times either the satellite dish or the cable hookup, felt like that was already too much.

lewster 02-26-2015 05:39 PM

One of the benefits of a plug-in style unit is the ability to still be operational IF it does it's job and blows itself up! :bb:

If you hardwire the unit in to the trailer and it senses a surge and self immolates, you have to wire a bypass to be able to still use the trailer. With the portable unit, simply unplug, move to another site and plug back in until you can get a replacement.

I have never heard of a theft in 15 years or RVing, but they do make a large plastic hasp as a means of deterrent. If someone wants anything bad enough, they will find a way. At least this will usually make the casual thieves think twice and look elsewhere.......

moosetags 02-26-2015 05:44 PM

We use the portable plug-in type. I considered the wire-in type, but was concerned that we would be out of business if it had to do its job. As Lew said, if our plug-in blows out, we can move to another site and we're back in business.

Brian

ROBERT CROSS 02-26-2015 06:45 PM

Portable here also... I didn't scrimp, IMHO low voltage protection is the problem thats more likely, auto shut down will save all that 'needed' stuff we take along. ;)

Bob
:cool:

SteveH 02-26-2015 06:46 PM

Actually, the "wired in unit" is quite a bit more sophisticated than a protector that simply "blows itself up".

Basically, it's a voltage, current, and frequency monitor that closes a relay when it sees that everything is correct. Any time it senses voltage too high, to low, frequency off, current too high, or a ground fault, it disconnects the relay and turns off the power to the RV. When conditions return to normal, it will reenergize the relay and power returns.

wahoonc 02-26-2015 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 1586413)
Actually, the "wired in unit" is quite a bit more sophisticated than a protector that simply "blows itself up".

Basically, it's a voltage, current, and frequency monitor that closes a relay when it sees that everything is correct. Any time it senses voltage too high, to low, frequency off, current too high, or a ground fault, it disconnects the relay and turns off the power to the RV. When conditions return to normal, it will reenergize the relay and power returns.

And if it gets a zap from lightning or a severe voltage spike it is toast. There is no functional difference between the portable and the hard wired units that I am aware of, other than the ease of replacement of the portable unit and the ability to easily bypass it.

lewster 02-26-2015 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wahoonc (Post 1586425)
And if it gets a zap from lightning or a severe voltage spike it is toast. There is no functional difference between the portable and the hard wired units that I am aware of, other than the ease of replacement of the portable unit and the ability to easily bypass it.

Exactly! :brows:

SteveH 02-26-2015 08:38 PM

Lightning can and will destroy anything.

The reason I installed the unit was because we had an air conditioner fan motor burnt up from low voltage at a park in Colorado last summer. This unit would have prevented that damage.

Ron A 02-26-2015 09:41 PM

I use a portable surge guard but whether portable or installed permanently I believe it's worth the money to protect things in the travel trailer. I have recently purchased a new TRC Model 34830 surge guard.

Glenritas 02-27-2015 12:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 1586332)
Just more of my opinion here, but I installed the permanent unit because I didn't want to have to haul out yet another device every time I hooked up to utilities, especially something that needed to be protected from rain, and possible theft.

With the water hose, water filter, power cord, and most times either the satellite dish or the cable hookup, felt like that was already too much.

ME TOO :)

But then I have a spare ... well it's for the washer and dryer. :brows: