Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   2009-2015 Flying Cloud (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516/)
-   -   WiFi on the road (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516/wifi-on-the-road-130608.html)

Bigpine 01-29-2015 06:36 PM

WiFi on the road

We are taking our maiden voyage and have a wifi question. I do not
Iike to use public wifi.. Any suggestions?

ZBoater 01-29-2015 06:46 PM

A cellular hotspot.

I use the AT&T Unite Pro, but many folks prefer Verizon for better coverage.

moosetags 01-29-2015 06:46 PM

We use a FoxFI hotspot on our Verizon phones.

Brian

DFlores 01-29-2015 07:09 PM

We use the Verizon Mifi, buy as you go, that way we pay only when want to use.

Lily&Me 01-29-2015 07:09 PM

Verizon MiFi.

Maggie

Jim Foster 01-29-2015 07:13 PM

Verizon MIFI

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

jcanavera 01-29-2015 07:28 PM

Verizon MiFi.

Jack

Kevin245 01-29-2015 07:38 PM

Verizon Hotspot from iPhone or iPad.

idroba 01-29-2015 08:38 PM

Verizon MiFi. Had it for years, works in most places, and in lots of obscure places in the northwest that you would never guess you can get Net services.

SteveSueMac 01-29-2015 09:21 PM

Can those who are using mifi describe how it works? It seems like it provides a dedicated wifi network for multiple devices in your trailer - but does it have to connect to the campground's wifi (usually bad) or is it connecting somewhere else - and if so - does it provide a more consistent connection/better bandwidth/something else? What's the advantage other than a mini local network? Thanks muchly!

ZBoater 01-29-2015 09:25 PM

It creates a wifi network for you to connect your devices to. It then connects to the cellular network to give your network Internet access. It doesn't connect or need the campground network, but it does need a good connection to the cellular network (Verizon, AT&T, etc) in order to give you good internet access.

The advantage is that you have your own mini wifi network and access to the Internet.

Jim Foster 01-29-2015 09:54 PM

For Internet access the MiFi uses the same cellular data connection as your phone. It creates a wifi network to which you may connect any wifi capable device (laptop, printer/scanner, Apple TV etc.).
A note of caution....
If you use the MiFi to connect your printer/scanner or a video streaming device such as Apple TV or connect to Netflix, it uses the data allowance on your data plan. We used half of our data plan in one evening scanning paper work we wanted to digitize.
To avoid this problem we only use the MiFi when we want to connect to the Internet. To create a wifi network to print, scan, or stream photos or video to the Apple TV we use a Netgear 3G Broadband Wireless Router MBR624GU. Runs on 12v or 110 and creates a wifi network without having to be connected to the Internet. This router was designed to use an Air Card for Internet access.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

idroba 01-29-2015 10:00 PM

Z boater has it right. I use an external antenna on mine often, but then I travel in remote areas a lot. Usually all you need is the MiFi itself which is cell phone size. It can run for a few hours on it's own internal battery, or use a 120 volt or a 12 volt adaptor.

The Verizon one works on Verizon network and in a few places on partner networks. The ATT one works on their network. They do not work on each others. Most think that Verizon has the best coverage. I know I get reception virtually everywhere (but my home...lol, we have no cell of any kind which works where I live)

Cost is about $60 a month for 5 gb of service. No movie downloads, not enough bandwidth. The main limit is bandwidth. That is how much data per month you can transfer.

They have a pre pay system too, slightly more expensive but you can shut it off when you are not using it. I use mine enough year around so I pay the higher cost of always on service. BTW, works in motels too, if they don't have wifi or if it costs or if it is poor quality.

Phoenix 01-30-2015 02:16 AM

Verizon MiFi. Converted from Millenicom, so we get 20Gb for $99.99.

As an aside, did anyone ever figure out what happened to Millenicom? I think Verizon shut down several small resellers around the same time as the Millenicom conversion fiasco.