Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Our Community (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   Is there such thing as a 1958 Bubble? (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/is-there-such-thing-as-a-1958-bubble-13004.html)

58BUBBLE 07-29-2004 11:50 AM

Is there such thing as a 1958 Bubble?

I'm new to the Airstream community and this site. I just aquired my airstream and am confused about the year and model. The layout is identicle to a 1957 California Bubble but on my title it is listed as a 1958 and the model says unknown. I cannot find anywhere that the Bubble was made in 1958. Can anyone out there shed some light on this? Is it possible my title is wrong? Any info is much appreciated!

RivetED 07-29-2004 11:59 AM

There are VAC (Vintage Airstream Club) members that can be of great assistance to you. You might try contacting them although many forums members are also VAC's.

rluhr 07-29-2004 12:04 PM

I would not regard a title as a reliable indicator of the year of manufacture. Often vintage Airstreams were titled as the year they were sold, or sometimes just based on a guess by somebody. My 1968 was titled as a 1967, for example. The serial number is the best method for most units, if you've got one.

roger n cindy 07-29-2004 03:36 PM

go to vintageairstream.com and look around. we have a 57 bubble which is supposed to be the third and last year. rluhr is right about titles as some states i believe titled the trailer as the year there were sold. check your serial #.

roger n cindy

GStephens 07-29-2004 05:12 PM

I checked the following site: http://www.vintageairstream.com/archives/index.html which is the vintageairstream.com site.

It has 1957 as the last year "listed" for the Bubble. Bubbles were made that year in both California and in Ohio. From what others have posted, there were often differences in the trailers produced in the two production plants. They weren't necessarily the same. How long is your trailer? Bubbles were 16 feet in length. In 1957, there were also trailers referred to only as "18 footer," then 22' trailers in Caravanner and Flying Cloud models, followed by an Overlander 26' model which was also produced in both California and in Ohio and finally a Liner 30' "Soveriegn of the Road."

1958 shows a Pacer 18', two more 18' models referred to only as "18 footer" made in both California and Ohio, 22' in Custom, Flying Cloud, World Traveler and Caravanner, an Overlander 26' and a Liner 30'"Soveriegn of the Road."

There are photos of the 1957 Bubble and of the 1958 Pacer. There are also photos of the 1957 and 1958 trailers referred to as "18 footer."

Someone with more definitive knowledge than myself will have to help you if viewing those pictures doesn't resolve your questions. Hope this helps.
GStephens

millionairstream 07-30-2004 10:38 AM

Check the skins...

'57 should have 13, after its 9.

The titles are issued sometimes on the sale to 1st owner, not the date of manufacture.

58BUBBLE 07-30-2004 12:16 PM

My Serial #

Thanks for the response, my serial # is 485. Can I get info somewhere that will tell me for sure with that #. By the way, vintageairstream.com is where I found the layout that led me to believe it was a 57. The site has been very helpful.
-Jake
Quote:

Originally Posted by roger n cindy
go to vintageairstream.com and look around. we have a 57 bubble which is supposed to be the third and last year. rluhr is right about titles as some states i believe titled the trailer as the year there were sold. check your serial #.

roger n cindy

thenewkid64 07-30-2004 12:43 PM

Jake,

Your question may have to wait a while for a definitive answer. Our resident expert on these models is in Colorado at the VAC rally (or on the way). Once he gets back he will be able to shed light on the model year issue I bet.

Of course if there is a member that has the info they will post it as well.

58BUBBLE 07-30-2004 12:45 PM

Thanks, I look forward to the return of the expert!

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenewkid64
Jake,

Your question may have to wait a while for a definitive answer. Our resident expert on these models is in Colorado at the VAC rally (or on the way). Once he gets back he will be able to shed light on the model year issue I bet.

Of course if there is a member that has the info they will post it as well.

59toaster 07-30-2004 01:37 PM

You been here two days!

Where are the pictures? :D

We love pictures hehe
Welcome to the Forums. Look foward to hearing how this works out.

It's quite possible that the coach was started in 57 and finished after the October cut where they start the 58's Might be the only 58 Bubble in existance. That would be neat. But it might just be a clerical error on the tittle. Should know soon.

roger n cindy 08-03-2004 05:31 PM

our 57 bubble has 13 pannel front and dutchman in the back ! that according to vintageairstream would make it older than a 57 ? our serial #385 is lower than the 57 they show! i'm figuring end of the year clerance, leftover trailer, clerance sale ?
roger n cindy