Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   1959-69 Tradewind (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Norma Jean's Australian restoration! (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f116/norma-jeans-australian-restoration-129900.html)

amysemmens 01-11-2015 05:56 AM

Norma Jean's Australian restoration!

1 Attachment(s)
For the purpose of keeping a record of the process, I've started this thread to keep you all up to date and myself accountable during the renovation of our 1960 Tradewind, which arrived in Australia in Nov and was collected and bought home on Dec 1, 2014. Would love to have you along if you're interested! More posts to come soon...Attachment 230237

slowmover 01-11-2015 07:44 AM

Norma Jean's Australian restoration!

Look forward to it. What sort of climate conditions will it see once done? Thinking of use by owners over effect on trailer, per se.

Goal15 01-11-2015 07:59 AM

Amy

I may have missed it on the other thread. How was the shipping damage resolved?

D

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

amysemmens 01-11-2015 02:18 PM

Once it's done, we hope to do a trip around Australia, so it will be warm to hot most of the time. Here in Victoria, where we live, we have a more mild climate, so we get cold and wet winters (not as cold as US, never below freezing) and hot summers. The damage hasn't been fixed yet, I've found an aircraft sheet metal engineer who is confident he can change the panels and fix the windows, and the rest is parts for the US that I need to order. It's a slow process...

Goal15 01-11-2015 02:39 PM

Great! Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

TouringDan 01-12-2015 10:10 AM

Congrats on your new Tradewind. What a process you had to go through to obtain it. I would have traveled across the country to get mine, but incredibly I found it less than 20 miles from home.

I am looking forward to following your restoration.

Dan

ROBERTSUNRUS 01-12-2015 10:23 AM

:) Hi, I will be right here waiting to see your progress. :flowers:

Peggy Wilson 01-12-2015 10:51 AM

We created a blog for our 1962 Safari project. It was lots of information to share. I created a book on it via Apple, that we carry with us when we travel. There is always someone wanting to see inside and asking questions about renovations/restoration. You will be thankful you document the process! Good luck. We look foreword to your project!

Melody Ranch 01-12-2015 12:05 PM

Keep up the enthusiasm. I was worried that your problems would damper you down. Don't wast to much time on Blog stuff, like many here do. Work on the Airstream.

laducky 01-12-2015 02:55 PM

I selfishly say waste it on blog/thread time! That's how we learn from your experience;)

Peggy Wilson 01-13-2015 08:37 AM

Lauren you have an excellent blog on Trouble! Thank you for going to the trouble, if you call it that...of blogging! Great information with wonderful photos to share with all of the new members. And everyone considering a renovation. It is encouraging!

laducky 01-14-2015 09:42 AM

Aw thanks!

Have you guys seen this aussie trailer? They switched the door to the opposite side and converted the electrical!
An Airstream Named Wanda - HofArc

amysemmens 01-15-2015 01:43 AM

Thank you everyone! Yes, I have seen that trailer! They are trying to sell it here for $80,000 AUD! It's nice, but it's not THAT nice! ;)

ROBERT CROSS 02-05-2015 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amysemmens (Post 1566528)
Once it's done, we hope to do a trip around Australia, so it will be warm to hot most of the time. Here in Victoria, where we live, we have a more mild climate, so we get cold and wet winters (not as cold as US, never below freezing) and hot summers. The damage hasn't been fixed yet, I've found an aircraft sheet metal engineer who is confident he can change the panels and fix the windows, and the rest is parts for the US that I need to order. It's a slow process...

Ahhh..a trip around the block, crikey that sounds like fun.
Ck out the neat trailers these guys built.

Good Luck...:wally:

Bob
:cool:

Glenritas 02-05-2015 02:49 PM

Glad to help on the axle thread .

This would probably be a good time to change your "Currently Looking" status .

Enjoy your build and have lots of fun with it.

ROBERTSUNRUS 02-05-2015 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS (Post 1577375)
Ahhh..a trip around the block, crikey that sounds like fun.
Ck out the neat trailers these guys built.

Good Luck...:wally:

Bob

:) Hi, I think I might go around the block once I break in my Crown and Pinion. And maybe adjust my points with a two pound hammer. :rolleyes:

Wish I could have opened the pictures. :sad:

Meeks 02-05-2015 09:50 PM

A great project to then use to travel a great country!

Your restoration project will be fun to watch. Thanks for sharing, in advance.

We traveled from Bundaberg to Melbourne along the coast in a rented C class Motorhome this past November and loved your country! So much beauty and so many wonderful people. Your plan to travel the country in your Airstream when completed is brilliant!

Remember to stay on the left side of the road when driving :). Hee, hee.

ROBERT CROSS 02-06-2015 05:58 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS (Post 1577513)
:) Hi, I think I might go around the block once I break in my Crown and Pinion. And maybe adjust my points with a two pound hammer. :rolleyes:

Wish I could have opened the pictures. :sad:

Just a few....

Bob

A W Warn 02-06-2015 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amysemmens (Post 1566347)
Would love to have you along if you're interested! More posts to come soon...

Don't forget, we all want to see your progress photos! :rofl: :bounce:

amysemmens 02-07-2015 12:47 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Thank you everyone!! Latest news is that we replaced the flat tyre that my husband could not get off! The tyre place said something about left hand thread....haha. I won't tell you what Dean said about Americans...He also removed the bellypan and the frame underneath looks pretty good. There are a few bits that need replacing but being a welder he's got that covered! She goes in tmrw to get a quote to replace the damaged panels and windows and re-skinning the door. Attachment 231869
Attachment 231870
Attachment 231871