Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Ribs, Skins & Rivets (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381/)
-   -   Dent Repair (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381/dent-repair-129286.html)

jodygordon 12-25-2014 11:53 AM

Dent Repair

My 2001 Safari has a few dents that I would like to have repaired. I read in posting a while back that there was a guy who used to work for Airstream and now has his own shop near the factory. Does anyone know who that may be?
Any recommendations would be appreciated. We'll be going thru central Ohio in a few days.

TinTin 12-25-2014 12:42 PM

Can't help you with the ex-Airstrteam guy, but you might want to explore the dentless paint repair shops. They can do magic with cars, probably the same with aluminum.

polarlyse 12-25-2014 12:55 PM

Paintless dent repairs count on access to the rear in most all cases. Also, aluminum does not respond to their techniques as well as steel. May work to some extent if they can get behind but...... Now if it can be pulled from the outside there might be better success.

TinTin 12-25-2014 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polarlyse (Post 1558404)
Paintless dent repairs count on access to the rear in most all cases. Also, aluminum does not respond to their techniques as well as steel. May work to some extent if they can get behind but...... Now if it can be pulled from the outside there might be better success.

The rear of the outside sheets can be accessed in many locations by removing a few interior pops ... I had PDR done on an aluminum car hood, flawless job.

dwightdi 12-25-2014 01:46 PM

Dent King repair

Depending on low perfect you want it, Dent King will pull out minor dents without damaging the clearcoat on your unit. I have used it on a 1977 model and a 1963 Overlander.

Foiled Again 12-26-2014 01:07 AM

Look at smaller regional airports - for someone who maintains aircraft. Airplane bodies are aluminum. The techniques are the same.

Paula

dbj216 12-26-2014 12:43 PM

Working with aluminum is much different than steel. Aluminum tends to stretch and thus never recover to it's original shape. Access behind the dented panel is likely necessary.

I tried paintless dent repair on some 1" diameter hail dents with very limited success. I also tried heating and freezing with no success. I did use a suction cup on my son's Airstream with some success. A orange construction barrel jumped out in front of his curb side front curved panel. I was able to "oil can" it back to shape except for the crease. Better than it was.

Jackson Center can make any dent go away. For a price.

David

dwightdi 12-29-2014 04:27 AM

The aluminum "temper" is not the same for all panels. The compound stretched panels, in the hemispheres, are softer, so they can be stretched to shape in the factory. Dents in them stretch the aluminum and cannot be pulled out. Simple curved panels and flat panels are harder. Bumps in them, that do not result in stretching, can many times be pulled or pushed out with "acceptable" results. Sometimes a dent roller can be used, if the inner skin is removed. Use of a "Dent King" puller is a cheap $29 fix.

shilgemann 01-06-2015 06:18 PM

Any idea on how to get a hold of a good dent roller? I saw one that someone was using from Aerowood. Not sure if he is selling those or if they can be fabricated/purchased locally?

msmcv51 01-06-2015 07:41 PM

You might give P&S trailer service a call @ 419-638-6261. They are located in Helena Ohio on SR 6 about half way between Bowling Green and Fremont.:wally:

Al and Missy 01-06-2015 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwightdi (Post 1559884)
Sometimes a dent roller can be used, if the inner skin is removed. Use of a "Dent King" puller is a cheap $29 fix.

"Dent King" is a professional removal service. Were you referring to the "Ding King" dent puller that uses a glued on suction cup with a bridge to pull out dents? Do you have any experience using one on an Airstream? I have a couple of dents from a hose roller on my garage wall.

Thanks,

Al

dwightdi 01-12-2015 03:19 AM

I bought a Dent King from a local auto store. It worked for simple smaller dents. It did not work well for hemispheres. $15 and a little time is worth the experiment.

jmpgino 02-23-2015 02:24 PM

It works.

$139 and it works.

RED Hand Lifter Kit | Dent Tools Direct USA

MtnCamper07 04-30-2015 06:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 237497

Attachment 237498

I have a couple of dents on the upper rear of my TT left as a gift by the PO. I thought I would include some pics to see if you might look at them and give an opinion as to the ease/complexity of repairing the dents. Can I fix this from the outside or will I need to have access to the interior (behind the dent). Can I do this myself? Please feel free to include your suggestions for the recommended repair method. Thanks