Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   General Repair Forum (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   What are the cost associated w/getting this Beauty - 2004 Classic AS up & running? (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/what-are-the-cost-associated-w-getting-this-beauty-2004-classic-as-up-and-running-128865.html)

AStreamLover 12-10-2014 01:06 PM

What are the cost associated w/getting this Beauty - 2004 Classic AS up & running?

1 Attachment(s)
This is a 2004 Airstream Classic retailed at $36,000 (before damage), How much does it look like it would cost to repair this amount of front end damage?

Colin H 12-10-2014 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AStreamLover (Post 1552228)
This is a 2004 Airstream Classic retailed at $36,000 (before damage), How much does it look like it would cost to repair this amount of front end damage?

Be very wary of a trailer like this. It will likely have a salvage title & in some States may not be possible to put back on the road, regardless of the work you put into it. The resale value will be compromised with a salvage title as well.
Colin

jump 12-10-2014 01:51 PM

My guess: a boatload ... A BIG boatload.

If you want/need a more accurate estimate, you should have a (highly) qualified Airstream builder give you an estimate for the repair. Then add another 50%.

Then you ll have a rebuilt Airstream with a salvage title that is worth 25% of the book value that one without a salvage title would have.

Don t do it.

jump 12-10-2014 01:53 PM

Also: don t trust ANYONE that gives you a dollar figure for repairing that damage from just a photo.

boondockdad 12-10-2014 02:08 PM

I can fix it.

http://youtu.be/A5cneCgNA9U

AStreamLover 12-10-2014 02:20 PM

Thanks for the prompt responses. Yeah, it's titled as salvaged, and branded as "salvaged rebuildable". Rebuildable, but at a ridiculous cost and still with the salvaged title...ummmm...no thanks.

rluhr 12-10-2014 02:41 PM

I'm glad you brought this up. People have been selling wrecked Airstreams on eBay for years and they are a bad deal. We used to discuss this regularly in Airstream Life magazine in the "eBay Watch" department.

In every case, the Airstream was totaled by the insurance company because the cost to repair would exceed the value of the trailer when fixed.

Often the photos don't show (and the seller won't acknowledge) that the damage extends to the frame. Hidden damage is almost always present, even if the trailer looks rebuildable.

There is no way to bring a totaled Airstream back to original condition economically. Even if you are willing to devote many hours of your own labor, it's unlikely you'd end up with a good deal compared to just buying a decent used trailer.

These totaled salvage trailers should be regarded as "parts trailers."

Foiled Again 12-10-2014 03:09 PM

If you wanted a stationary "cabin in the woods" AND you could get this for $600 AND you already have a lot of skills, then with another $8000 to $15000 you could do it. The frame almost certainly has suffered extensive damage, both the inside and outside curved segment skins will need to be replaced and as you can see the damage extends beyond the curved front into the side panels - those are about $6000 to be replaced but there's a CHANCE they could be straightened "enough" to be passable. The window frame on the side windows would need replacing along with the side wraparound window and frame. At least 8 feet of flooring would need to be replaced too. The list goes on and on.

Since you've already decided to just walk away - all I need to add is "BRILLIANT"

Paula

Colin H 12-10-2014 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AStreamLover (Post 1552262)
Thanks for the prompt responses. Yeah, it's titled as salvaged, and branded as "salvaged rebuildable". Rebuildable, but at a ridiculous cost and still with the salvaged title...ummmm...no thanks.

What were they asking for it?
Colin

overlander63 12-10-2014 04:56 PM

Just for future reference to the next person that does a search on rebuilding one of these Ebay wrecks, there is one at our shop now that was purchased as a rebuildable wreck on Ebay. So far, for a 2009 23' front bedroom trailer, they have spent $15K buying it, another $8K so far just to get it weatherproof. It still needs an entire side sheet, three more segments, rear bumper, the rear frame where the bumper mounts replaced, and some interior work. Figure another $12K to make it like new.
So, $35,000 plus towing from where it was purchased for a 6 year old trailer with a salvage title.
There is a 2010 model in like-new condition for $36K on RV trader right now.

AirstrmLuv 12-10-2014 05:05 PM

The bid was around $3700 the last I checked. And It wasn't an Ebay auction, it was a Copart Auction. And I noticed the reserve hadn't been met yet, so I'm really not sure if it's sold. I'll look and report back. I'm curious as to what someone would plan to do with it, unless they are quite skilled, or maybe use the parts, or if it's stationary as someone mentioned, I guess it could work for someone...

AirstrmLuv 12-10-2014 05:09 PM

Wow! That's a lot of cash going out for a salvaged vehicle. I'm learning that these fixer uppers are not always the best deal with an Airstream, but I can't afford a new one so I'll have to really do my research. Sheesh...

AStreamLover 12-10-2014 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlander63 (Post 1552325)
Just for future reference to the next person that does a search on rebuilding one of these Ebay wrecks, there is one at our shop now that was purchased as a rebuildable wreck on Ebay. So far, for a 2009 23' front bedroom trailer, they have spent $15K buying it, another $8K so far just to get it weatherproof. It still needs an entire side sheet, three more segments, rear bumper, the rear frame where the bumper mounts replaced, and some interior work. Figure another $12K to make it like new.
So, $35,000 plus towing from where it was purchased for a 6 year old trailer with a salvage title.
There is a 2010 model in like-new condition for $36K on RV trader right now.

Wow! That's a lot of cash going out for a salvaged vehicle. I'm learning that these fixer uppers are not always the best deal with an Airstream, but I can't afford a new one so I'll have to really do my research. Sheesh...

AStreamLover 12-10-2014 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin H (Post 1552305)
What were they asking for it?

Colin

The bid was around $3700 the last I checked. And It wasn't an Ebay auction, it was a Copart Auction. And I noticed the reserve hadn't been met yet, so I'm really not sure if it's sold. I'll look and report back. I'm curious as to what someone would plan to do with it, unless they are quite skilled, or maybe use the parts, or if it's stationary as someone mentioned, I guess it could work for someone...