Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Jacks, Stabilizers, Lifting and Leveling (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f457/)
-   -   Leveling (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f457/leveling-126472.html)

wscampo 10-12-2014 06:28 AM

Leveling

I need to level my 2010 Flying Cloud 23FB approximately 2 inches side to side. It is positioned so that I am unable to drive it on blocks. Can anyone help me with a good or best practice for using a bottle jack or jack stands? We have a very stable surface.
Thank you.

Protagonist 10-12-2014 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wscampo (Post 1523654)
It is positioned so that I am unable to drive it on blocks.

That's not possible, unless you lifted it into position with a crane. If you can hitch up to pull it, you can get blocks under it. Pull it forward just far enough to position the leveling blocks where you want them, then back it onto the blocks.

wscampo 10-12-2014 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Protagonist (Post 1523658)
That's not possible, unless you lifted it into position with a crane. If you can hitch up to pull it, you can get blocks under it. Pull it forward just far enough to position the leveling blocks where you want them, then back it onto the blocks.

It was positioned close to a tree for a desired location and security. I do not currently have access to the equipment used.

AnnArborBob 10-12-2014 06:52 AM

I'm afraid you are out of luck then. Airstreams cannot be leveled using jack stands or any other device other than one which relies on the tires and axles for side to side leveling. I'd leave it as is until you are able to move if forward (or back) in order to position some blocks or boards under the tires.

wscampo 10-12-2014 06:58 AM

Thank you

SteveSueMac 10-12-2014 07:05 AM

This could be a TERRIBLE suggestion - and if so, hopefully smarter people than I will chime in an tell you.

One option would be one of those hand dollys that can move the trailer - maybe you can rent one?

Another option (probably very bad - don't do this) would be to take air out of the high side tires.

(Donning my slings and arrows shield now :-) )

wscampo 10-12-2014 07:10 AM

What about jacking high enough to position leveling blocks under the tires?

r carl 10-12-2014 07:22 AM

They jack up the trailers to replace the axle so it can be done.

mimiandrews 10-12-2014 07:31 AM

You can do it with a bottle jack

This is easier than you think.
Get a good bottle jack and some scraps of plywood or other flat lumber as wide as your tires.

Chock the trailer wheels securely on the high side of the trailer so it won't roll.

Place the bottle jack on the axle mounting plate (never on the axle tube) on the low side of the trailer. Jack that side up until the wheel(s) is/are off the ground.

Place the scrap lumber (or Legos if you have them) under each low-side tire.

Release the jack until it's no longer in contact with the trailer--put all the weight back on the wheels.

Check to see if the trailer is level.

Repeat as necessary.

Safety above all! Never get under anything that is supported by a jack.

wscampo 10-12-2014 07:49 AM

Thank you. I appreciate your help.

SteveH 10-12-2014 07:58 AM

I have a set of these and really like them: 3604 - Camper Leveler

They allow you to level the amount you need, not just the amount of the block, and also serve as wheel chocks after the leveling has been done. I've even used my set and a friend's set together to lift the trailer high enough to remove the holding tank cover to replace the valves. However, like most any other blocks, you must use the tow vehicle to either pull or back the trailer onto the blocks.

I have no association with the company other than being a happy customer.

wscampo 10-12-2014 08:04 AM

Thank you.

Wayne&Sam 10-12-2014 08:20 AM

Your trailer will have jacking points marked on the belly pan. If there isn't a sticker pointing to it, it is also marked by a two inch or so square or aluminum. Jack from there, piece of cake.

KYAirstream 10-12-2014 08:30 AM

Pretty sure the only place you want to jack is at the axle mounting plate (big piece of steel the axles mount to). I believe those markings at the front and rear are strictly for stabilizing the trailer.

As far as leveling the trailer in place, anyone ever try using a heavy duty scissor jack under the axle mounting plate to get the necessary lift?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums