Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f474/)
-   -   Clearcoat (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f474/clearcoat-126255.html)

Hotlead 10-05-2014 11:09 PM

Clearcoat

I am going to get Aircraft Remover in the morning and use it to do the deed. I am replacing all exterior lights afterwards , do I need to protect the windows if I brush it on and low power wash it off ?

Hotlead 10-06-2014 01:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got the citristrip instead and got poor results after 3 hours. Can the stronger Aircraft Remover be wash off or do you have to scrub it too ?
Attachment 223793

NJtoNC 10-06-2014 02:35 PM

It can be washed off. It's very toxic. You need full body covered and multiple pairs of gloves.

Tltulsa 10-06-2014 02:46 PM

Windows are glass, right? Probably fine. Just don't get on plastics (ie: acrylic rock guards covering windows). I learned this the hard way.

airdreamers 10-06-2014 05:18 PM

I used Klean Strip from Lowes, works great. $18 + quart. Worked great, put it wait till it just starts to dry, scrape with a plastic scraper. Reapply in areas where needed. Remove residue with soft cloth damp with paint thinner. I am only stripping and polishing from the roof to the upper rub rail, since the lower area is in excellent condition. Power washing is not an option in my case. I therefore used masking tape and a protective cover from the upper rub rail,down. I am very happy with the results!

Hotlead 10-06-2014 05:18 PM

I put on about 7 coats of this Citristrip and the panel still has clear coat in places. I think I am going to get some mineral spirits tomorrow and call it quits. Will the mineral spirits get rid of all the gooey smears ?

Hotlead 10-06-2014 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airdreamers (Post 1521204)
I used Klean Strip from Lowes, works great. $18 + quart. Worked great, put it wait till it just starts to dry, scrape with a plastic scraper. Reapply in areas where needed. Remove residue with soft cloth damp with paint thinner. I am only stripping and polishing from the roof to the upper rub rail, since the lower area is in excellent condition. Power washing is not an option in my case. I therefore used masking tape and a protective cover from the upper rub rail,down. I am very happy with the results!

How long to dry ?

Wash off ?

airdreamers 10-06-2014 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotlead (Post 1521205)
I put on about 7 coats of this Citristrip and the panel still has clear coat in places. I think I am going to get some mineral spirits tomorrow and call it quits. Will the mineral spirits get rid of all the gooey smears ?

Don't call it quits, you are almost there just have a little more patience, you will succeed. Just don't expect fast results.

Hotlead 10-06-2014 05:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 223796

My untouched panel looks better than what I've been trying to strip !

Inland RV Center, In 10-06-2014 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotlead (Post 1521210)
Attachment 223796

My untouched panel looks better than what I've been trying to strip !

We have used Aircraft stripper for many decades.

Usually, but not always, is 100 percent of the old clearcoat removed.

Sometimes a second coat over a small area is needed.

Rarely, was any rubbing necessary.

Andy

eubank 10-06-2014 06:09 PM

Yep, I used aircraft stripper as well. It's mighty dandy stuff, great for removing clear coat and getting rid of ugly brown spots on the back of your hands, too. :)

Just to make sure, by the way, I purchased a relatively soft dish brush at the grocery store, one soft enough that it wouldn't scratch aluminum. Once the stripper had set for a while, I then used the brush to scrub the stuff around on the surface of the aluminum, making sure that no little spots of clear coat remained. Then rinsed.

:)
Lynn

Hotlead 10-06-2014 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In (Post 1521224)
We have used Aircraft stripper for many decades.

Usually, but not always, is 100 percent of the old clearcoat removed.

Sometimes a second coat over a small area is needed.

Rarely, was any rubbing necessary.

Andy

The Aircraft Remover ?

How do you apply it ?

How long do you leave it on ?

How do you remove it ?

Hotlead 10-06-2014 06:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what I am finding in town.

reinergirl 10-06-2014 06:24 PM

That will do it.... Do not get it on you, the stuff burns in seconds. Wear very good eye protection too!