Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   General Interior Topics (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/)
-   -   Interior Paint for walls and bathroom (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/interior-paint-for-walls-and-bathroom-126229.html)

rask07 10-05-2014 03:42 AM

Interior Paint for walls and bathroom

I have been looking at forums for days and everyone says something different to use. I just bought a 69 land yacht. I am planning to paint walls grey and cabinets black. The bathroom is the ugly yellow. What do you all suggest. Ive painted a couple other campers (not airstreams)... Ive always user killz first. But with walls the soft vinyl..do you sand or not sand? What do you use for bathroom? A spray paint of some sort?

Sorry to ask this when im sure these all have been answered before.

Thanks so much!!!

Paddledipper 10-05-2014 05:52 AM

I just used 7 cans of white gloss Krylon for Plastic in our '77 Overlander bathroom.
Hope to update you in a bit as to it's durability and wear. In my previous applications, it has been successful and adheres nicely.

thesignlady 10-05-2014 10:40 PM

I second the vote on krylon fusion. I have used it extensively in multiple airstreams on everything from my bathrooms, end caps, refrigerator scoops, wing window surrounds and even the yellowed interior of my 73 dometic refrigerator. Here's a thread I did on one of my projects. My bathroom is 5 years old an holding up awesome.... http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...ly-124989.html

Many, many color options available for you to. Good luck. I'll be doing the bathroom in my 69 safari in the next month I'll post a step by step when I get to it. Redoing the floor in it right now ☺

rask07 10-06-2014 05:11 AM

Whats best for the walls in the aistream? And dovu sand it firstvor no?

thesignlady 10-07-2014 02:15 PM

YES :-) make sure to give it a good sanding with a very fine grit sandpaper and for getting in to the hard to reach areas us 000 steel wool. then give it a thorough cleaning and allow to dry before painting. sand and steel wool and re-clean between coats. Apply multiple thin coats and never change direction on the surface you are painting as that will guarantee you runs.

ventport 10-07-2014 03:25 PM

If you have spray equipment look at the Rustoleum metallic water based paint. They also have pearls and clear. I did my Avion which I sold, and our current Argosy with the paint and it looks very cool. No one expects to see pearls and metallic on the walls when they step into your trailer. The clear just makes the paint POP more.

rask07 10-07-2014 10:19 PM

Thesignlady- u sand and clean between paint coats? What paint and primer did you use?

Ventport- no spray equipment. I will be using old fashion brush and rollers

thehandyman 10-08-2014 06:22 AM

Will be painting the bathroom this winter but Krylon fusion does not have the color DW wants. Has anyone used the fusion primer then top coat with non fusion spray paint.

thesignlady 10-08-2014 11:38 PM

You do not need to sand between coats I just do it as I want a super smooth therefore easier to keep clean in the future finish. With the Krylon fusion paints there are a bunch of colours avaiable, and several metallics as well. I have used the pewter metallic on my tambour doors you can see in the end caps thread.
You don't prime, you don't top coat you don't even need to sand it's just the simple wash and then spray on a few thin coats. The stuff is amazing. I personally could never be talked in to anything else, this stuff has been way to durable and easy to use.

Here is a link to the many colours available in the fusion paint. If you're nervous about using it your AS the first time grab a can of fusion and an old plastic lawn chair or old kids plastic toy truck and spray it on, you'll never go back
http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion-for-plastic/

Rsmied 12-26-2014 04:40 PM

I used the Krylon Fusion for plastic last week on my end cap and it has turned out pretty well. Cant speak to the durability just yet but i'm pleased with the finish.

Think I am going to try and paint the faux wood cabinets with a Rustolem oil based enamel next week. I still dont know what to paint the vinyl walls with. I want to paint it white. Any suggestions?

drboyd 03-14-2015 07:18 PM

Subscribing

suzuz22 02-19-2016 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rsmied (Post 1558862)
I used the Krylon Fusion for plastic last week on my end cap and it has turned out pretty well. Cant speak to the durability just yet but i'm pleased with the finish.

Think I am going to try and paint the faux wood cabinets with a Rustolem oil based enamel next week. I still dont know what to paint the vinyl walls with. I want to paint it white. Any suggestions?

What did you end up going with? We are about to paint our '79 31' Sovereign and so far are planning to use Krylon Fusion for the endcaps, tambour doors, bathroom, and window surrounds (that are plastic). We have BIN primer that we are planning to use on all cabinetry and walls before a latex paint, all white as well. Any advice on whether or not to paint the metallic trim on the cabinets/walls? And what to paint with?

Thanks! I'd love to see photos of your finished product if you care to share!
Sue

CannedHam 02-20-2016 11:44 PM

Rolling Paint On

We live in our 1974 Argosy and here is I painted it.

1. Cleaned the surface very well to get the old rv funk off. (Simple Green, no VOC's)
2. Wiped with high percent alcohol. (90% rubbing alcohol)
3. Caulked seams with paint-able silicon. (to seal interior from old RV funk)
4. Killz Oil Based Primer on walls and plastic ceiling end caps. (vent RV and use a mask)
5. 2 coats of a good latex paint. (vent RV and use a mask)

After a year of full time living the paint is holding up great. In touching up some aluminum trim that had primer, I had to use a razor blade and 600 grit sand paper.

It is all prep work.

Eninen 07-21-2016 01:24 PM

Thanks Sign Lady for all of your help. I'm going to attempt to paint my caps with Krylon - thanks for all of the info you have posted!! :) I thought I found at one time how many cans you used but now I can't find it. Can you tell me how many each cap takes approximately? Thanks!