Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Airstream Trailer Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142/)
-   -   Waterproofing my new '69 Sovereign (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142/waterproofing-my-new-69-sovereign-125489.html)

tcoffee 09-17-2014 02:35 PM

Waterproofing my new '69 Sovereign

I just got her home yesterday and got her all washed off. This is my first AS. I want to do some of the interior work on it this winter. Other than window, door, and vent seals, what else is there? I'm going to try and get the rear bumper fixed and new axles before winter.

Tom

e5earley 09-24-2014 05:40 PM

Check the edge where the window frame is attached to trailer, edges around ac unit, and where vents and skylight are installed. My 69 was leaking from all of those areas. Post up some pics when you can. I like seeing other 69 models.

tcoffee 09-24-2014 06:09 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Attachment 222778Attachment 222779Attachment 222780Attachment 222781Attachment 222782

Tom

Silverflames 09-24-2014 07:37 PM

I have a 1969 ambassador, so I have a love for 69 as well. The shell looks great!!

I was looking at the bumper area. If you push down on the bumper, does it move separately from the shell?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

TinTin 09-24-2014 07:52 PM

Looks great!! Enjoy the project!

Inland RV Center, In 09-24-2014 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcoffee (Post 1511969)
I just got her home yesterday and got her all washed off. This is my first AS. I want to do some of the interior work on it this winter. Other than window, door, and vent seals, what else is there? I'm going to try and get the rear bumper fixed and new axles before winter.

Tom

Tom.

You can use the updated "D" gasket for the windows, entrance door, and the compartment doors.

You will also need 2 sewer vent pipe cover gaskets that only last 2 to 3 years.

From your photos, it appears that the rubber rods in the axles are history. Torsion axles only last about 25 years, and then only when used at least semi-yearly.

Check the vent covers for cracks.

Other things will appear as you become friendly with the trailer.

A big caution. If you wish to tackle a project and are not really positive as to how, post your questions on this Forums.

There are many people, and a few dealers, that will jump in and try to help.

Also check the rear end for separation, as that in it's self, can be a major task, depending on the severity.

Welcome to Airstreaming, the land of a few thousand trailers, and a GAZILLION questions.;)

Andy

tcoffee 09-24-2014 08:59 PM

Thanks. It's in pretty good shape. I have minimal rear floor rot. The frame is looking good. Bumper move just a bit. Took rear belly pan of and it's looking promising so far, but not holding my breath. It is 45 yrs old. The rest of floor is good

Tom