Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Our Community (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   A Really Bad Day (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/a-really-bad-day-124057.html)

Pat Cassity 08-16-2014 06:07 PM

A Really Bad Day

3 Attachment(s)
Yesterday was a day that my wife and I will remember for the rest of our lives. We were on our way from Amarillo, TX to Albuquerque with our 2014 FB international where we were going to camp overnight before heading to Mesa Verde National Park. We entered I-40 and had just traveled about a half mile. All of a sudden I felt a vibration similar to the slight sway that occurs when being passed by an 18 wheeler. However, it was apparent that it was much worse. As I struggled to control the steering wheel, I looked to my left to see a car coming straight across the highway headed toward my driver door. In a split second we were hit hard and pushed to medium between the highway and feeder access road. Our AS was in the process of jack knifing into the rear of the Yukon and then flipped on its side. We were both shook up terribly but neither of us were hurt seriously. In fact, I am convinced that our AS actually helped save our lives because it kept our Yukon from flipping as well. After talking to witnesses we learned that the car that broadsided us actually began the accident by clipping the left rear of the trailer. After doing so, the driver lost control and careened to the highway's inside lane, tried to correct his steering and ended up hitting us again. The paramedics and police arrived and after cleaning the highway, we went to the hospital for a checkup. We are fine but our 3 month old Denali and less than a year old AS are a mess. We finally found a rental in Amarillo last night and drive home to the Houston area arriving a 4 am this morning. We went to the storage yard to retrieve our personal effect from the trailer and it's virtually destroyed. There is extensive exterior damage. When we were finally able to get the door open, the sight was shocking! It literally looked like a home that had sustained tornado damage! The interior damage is incredible. This morning I filed a claim with my insurance company. Not sure what to expect from an adjuster. I am going to try attach some picture from the accident. I just can't imagine that the AS can be repaired. Should this be a job for the factory if the insurance companies decide it should be repaired? After, having what may have been the worst day of our lives we are happy to say that we are sore but still alive! Oh, and this will probably come as no surprise, the officer stated that the driver that hit us was probably distracted by either being on his cell our texting. Attachment 219153Attachment 219154Attachment 219155

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

SteveSueMac 08-16-2014 06:19 PM

I am so sorry - and so glad you aren't more seriously hurt or worse.

I can't imagine anyone in these forums would text and drive but if anyone is at all tempted, just don't. Absolutely nothing is so important it can't wait until you can pull off to a rest area.

Feel better. The stuff that can be replaced is less important than the stuff that can't. You were very lucky. And I'm very sorry for the physical damage too.....

xrvr 08-16-2014 06:22 PM

You are okay, that's what's important. Relax if you can. Most of what is going to happen is out of your control. See what the insurance co says, probably totaled. Do not make any rash decisions. Think things over slowly. Remember you are okay and that is what is important. Peace, jim

xrvr 08-16-2014 06:24 PM

Be sure the report names the other driver at fault and the witnesses names. Good luck,jim

Pat Cassity 08-16-2014 06:28 PM

Thanks. The witnesses gave statements to the police. Including their names. The other driver was cited for failure to maintain his lane.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Firedog1 08-16-2014 06:28 PM

Pat,
Thank God you were not hurt. Hopefully your insurance will get you up and running soon. Best of Luck.

RamblinManGa 08-16-2014 06:34 PM

Hi from AZ. . . Yowzaa........what a mess ! Thankful y'all weren't hurt badly ! The AS looks like a total to me. Thanks for sharing & regards, Craig

Tincampers 08-16-2014 06:39 PM

Always wanted to see the bottom of my trailer, but not like that! Glad nobody was seriously injured. Now you can get a 2015 with ducted air.

Airline 08-16-2014 06:40 PM

Good to Hear you Guys are OK !

The driver should have been charged with DUIT

"Driver under the influence of Technology"

Which should be a worse penalty than a "Driver under the Influence of Alcohol" in my opinion.

This is such a frustrating story.

I feel for you two.

Maybe,just to feel a bit better you could start picking out your New Airstream..

;)

Skater 08-16-2014 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat Cassity (Post 1497048)
Thanks. The witnesses gave statements to the police. Including their names. The other driver was cited for failure to maintain his lane.

"Failure to maintain his lane" - he got off easy.

I'm glad you and your wife are okay. Scary!

xrvr 08-16-2014 06:42 PM

Looks like the trailer stayed hooked to the TV. Jim

Tincampers 08-16-2014 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi (Post 1497058)
Looks like the trailer stayed hooked to the TV. Jim

What hitch are you using?

tsunami 08-16-2014 06:48 PM

WOW, very scary, but on the upside, your OK. Good luck with getting this sorted out. You might see if any additional charges can be leveied against the offending driver since the police have the witnesses statements.

Lily&Me 08-16-2014 06:51 PM

All of our worst nightmare. :blush:

Glad you are both okay, and hope everything falls into place for you quickly.

Maggie