Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Interior Restoration Forum (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f7/)
-   -   New dinette table option and cabin renovation (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f7/new-dinette-table-option-and-cabin-renovation-123323.html)

Alumitater 07-31-2014 09:19 PM

New dinette table option and cabin renovation

4 Attachment(s)
We have enjoyed our 25’ 07 Safari for the last three years but began to explore options to the dinette table arrangement. We found it too big and wanted a drop-leaf table design similar to that done by our good friends Luckyducks. However, we wanted to retain the curb-side dinette seating so that if we wanted to take our grandkids along we could revert to the original table and have additional dining and sleeping capabilities in lieu of installing a recliner.

I began exploring options and designed a table that afforded us a 30” drop-leaf which we could raise for dining and then stow out of the way for all our other activities in the cabin. The new table mounts using the existing original table hardware to avoid any new holes or mounting issues. It also allows quick exchange of my new table with the original in the event we anticipate company.

We also took this opportunity to replace the foam in our seat cushions and the cushion covers.

Our replacement seat foam came from Foam N’ More (Clawson, Michigan) and we are most pleased with their product. Way superior to the old seat foam.

We wanted to use Ultraleather to recover our cushions. Luckyducks had used it with beautiful results and the reviews of the fabric are outstanding. Our internet search for the fabric led us to the Online Fabric Store who had the best price by far. We opted for the “Buckskin” color which is a bit darker than the “Chamois” color we had seen in other Airstream trailers.

Last step in our cabin renovation was to replace the fabric which covered the lower cabinet doors and bases of the street-side dinette and couch. We thought of using the same wood laminate which is in the rest of the trailer but learned Airstream had discontinued our color and we could not find a source. So we ended up locating a Sunbrella fabric which matched our color scheme locally and used that.

All in all, we are most pleased with the results and find the new table offers much more usable space in our cabin for entertaining or watching TV. The new cushion foam and covers gave the trailer an updated look that we much enjoy and are very comfortable.

We thought we would pass along some photos and offer the idea to anyone else dissatisfied with the stock dinette table arrangement.

Tom and Robin

robert claus 07-31-2014 09:37 PM

Nice work! At least in the 25' you have room to work with, and plenty of seating. Now, you can put your feet up!
In my 19' I'm converting the dinette into a U-shaped seating area that will still convert to a bed. The table is gone, and a separate folding table is put in place when dining inside.
I'll post pics when finished.

blmitch5 07-31-2014 10:00 PM

Nice work!

karenjude 08-01-2014 07:50 AM

Very nice Tom. You have me thinking ..............

Roadtoaster 08-01-2014 08:07 AM

Very nice Tater. Some of these mods need to be available as an option for the factory.

See you down the road.

Alumitater 08-01-2014 04:53 PM

I think so also and thanks for the kind words.
My bet is someone could find a market for tables like these. They are just such a nice option.
You, Chief and Luckyducks had the original ideas here, I just gave your good ideas a personal tweak.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadtoaster (Post 1490209)
Very nice Tater. Some of these mods need to be available as an option for the factory.

See you down the road.

upintheair 08-04-2014 11:42 AM

That looks great and what a smart maximization of space!

Larry C 08-24-2014 08:09 PM

Nice job, Tom!

Alumitater 08-25-2014 05:57 AM

Thanks, Larry. So far we really enjoy this option and don't miss the larger dinette table at all.

Piggy Bank 08-25-2014 06:42 AM

Very nice. That lantern is quite nice also. Is it a battery operated model, or just decor? I really like it as a nice touch.

airdreamers 08-25-2014 07:27 AM

Nice job! "Airstream" could take a hint from your project!

dkrug 08-25-2014 07:32 AM

Very nicely done! Looks like you have really put the space to good use.

Alumitater 08-26-2014 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piggy Bank (Post 1501071)
Very nice. That lantern is quite nice also. Is it a battery operated model, or just decor? I really like it as a nice touch.

Got the lamp idea from another Airstreamer who had done a conversion, so no claim to originality. I thought it looked really sharp also, so just as you asked the source. Glad you like it also.

It came from Cabela's and is called the Grand River Lodge Electric Lantern. I got the small size and installed a 40 watt LED bulb which can be dimmed. Works great but should warn the lamp is not real heavy duty and takes a bit of careful handling during travel.

Tincampers 08-26-2014 06:15 AM

New dinette table option and cabin renovation

I've seen Tom's conversion in person and it is very nice. He also had new seat cushions done for his trailer in UltraLeather and that came out very nice. We bought our AS based on the information we gleaned from Tom and Robin. They are our AS mentors and great friends.