Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/)
-   -   Hello from N Texas (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/hello-from-n-texas-121800.html)

txdxrider 06-27-2014 03:47 PM

Hello from N Texas

Hello - wanted to take a minute to introduce us - we are currently looking into AS's as a full time RV scenario to give our three boys something more in life than what they are currently receiving.

Finally signed up after "crawling" around the site for a few days - so far found a great deal of information and hopefully over time be able to contribute to the site as well.

richw46 06-27-2014 03:58 PM

Hello Texas :) Welcome to the forum. I'm wanting to get down that way, have family in Plano and Gainesville. Lots of friendly and knowledgeable folk in here. You'll have a good time.

txdxrider 06-27-2014 04:11 PM

Thats too funny - I live out towards Aubrey (denton area S of Gainsville) and work in Plano....

We are looking forward to it... my other big thrread is here - http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ce-121799.html

moosetags 06-27-2014 04:48 PM

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Brian

txdxrider 06-27-2014 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosetags (Post 1475202)
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Brian

Thanks- can't wait to own one.

txdxrider 07-02-2014 11:04 AM

Still looking.,. Myself, wife, 3 boys and a dog.... Looking at 27-31 footers.... I know the rear bath issues - so looking for one with CB and rear twins so we can mount a bed above the twins.... 95-83 year models to keep the weight down- wanting to do full time starting spring to give the boys a better "life" experience - that and a "refresh" for me...... Any suggestions????

DKB_SATX 07-02-2014 11:17 AM

Welcome, and best of luck finding The One.

There's no shortage of long center-bath trailers in those years. Some of them have OSB subfloors, so you want to either find one that has been well-maintained (all leaks chased and stopped promptly) or that has had the soft spots replaced with real plywood.

For any used Airstream, even one that seems (and is sold as) perfect, plan to get the trailer with some lead time to address issues and upgrades.

Consider carefully your concerns about weight vs. space in the trailer. For full-timing with 5 people and a long trailer you'll probably want a 3/4 or 1-ton crew cab with a cap so you have sufficient passenger and storage space and payload, so you might also consider wide-body trailers (the longer ones in mid to late '90s and newer.) You might also consider 34' triple-axle trailers, though there's a cult following for those and the nice ones don't seem to stay on the market long.

Goal15 07-02-2014 06:30 PM

Welcome and good luck with your search

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

txdxrider 07-05-2014 07:52 PM

Ok - just waiting to finalize....

Getting a 1983 AS Excella 31'
Full restoration a few years back
Recently polished
All awnings
Updated floors/electronics: etc....
VERY nice...

Can't wait to get her home....

txdxrider 07-05-2014 07:54 PM

Oh mid bath- rear twins....

silverlabs 07-05-2014 08:54 PM

Welcome, fellow Texan! We are south of you and lived in Plano while our kids were in school. Wish we had the courage to do what you are doing when our kids were little. Can't wait to hear your tales from the road!

txdxrider 07-05-2014 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverlabs (Post 1478437)
Welcome, fellow Texan! We are south of you and lived in Plano while our kids were in school. Wish we had the courage to do what you are doing when our kids were little. Can't wait to hear your tales from the road!

That's funny- I grew up in Plano.....

BoldAdventure 07-06-2014 09:35 AM

Welcome to the site! I'm doing the same thing myself with my family. It's a journey getting there, but it will all be worth it. Looking forward to your posts.

cwf 07-06-2014 09:25 PM

Enjoy your blessing!