Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   General Repair Forum (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   Tire Jack On Board? (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/tire-jack-on-board-120963.html)

lcurrie 06-08-2014 06:49 PM

Tire Jack On Board?

On the side of the road and the Good Sam guy is changing a tire for me. His jack isn't raising the Bambi high enough to get the spare on. Is there a jack from Airstream somewhere on the rig?

Thanks!

Lynn

overlander63 06-08-2014 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcurrie (Post 1466475)
On the side of the road and the Good Sam guy is changing a tire for me. His jack isn't raising the Bambi high enough to get the spare on. Is there a jack from Airstream somewhere on the rig?

Thanks!

Lynn

No, but you can probably use the screw jack from your truck, and a block of wood under it, to get it high enough to change the tire.
Of course, set the brake on your truck, block the other tire, make sure the jack is straight up and down, and the jack is NOT placed on the axle tube, for any reason.:blink:

Goal15 06-08-2014 07:53 PM

Lynn. This may be late but if you are still towing with the Tundra your truck jack placed under the angle iron just behind (as you look at the tires) will definitely do the job

pappy19 06-08-2014 09:17 PM

A screw jack is much better than a bottle jack due to the smaller size it is compressed.

J. Morgan 06-08-2014 09:22 PM

I despise those screw jacks. I say the better answer is a better bottle jack....

Of course that doesn't really matter on the side of the road , it seems the jack i despise will get you out of a tight spot... ;)

Goal15 06-08-2014 09:33 PM

Tundra comes with a bottle jack

lcurrie 06-08-2014 09:44 PM

Thanks all!!

After a 4 hour ordeal and the kindness of some fellow Texans, we got back on the road.

My biggest lesson of the day was to always carry my own compressor. Who knew that wrecker trucks didn't have air on board?!?

And my gratitude for the day after seeing 2 rollover accidents in 4 hours of driving: In the end, it was just a flat tire and I'm thankful that we're still silver side up.

Lynn

overlander63 06-08-2014 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcurrie (Post 1466557)
Thanks all!!

After a 4 hour ordeal and the kindness of some fellow Texans, we got back on the road.

My biggest lesson of the day was to always carry my own compressor. Who knew that wrecker trucks didn't have air on board?!?

And my gratitude for the day after seeing 2 rollover accidents in 4 hours of driving: In the end, it was just a flat tire and I'm thankful that we're still silver side up.

Lynn

Lynn, every wrecker on the road carries 6 independent air supplies, and all that is needed is an air tank with an inflator chuck to access them. Simply take the tank around the wrecker from tire to tire and remove a few pounds of air from each. You would have enough to inflate your tire to get to town.

lcurrie 06-08-2014 10:03 PM

Tire Jack On Board?

Apparently this wrecker didn't. Then again, he also only had a small bottle jack.

We ended up knocking on the door of a house nearby to get our air.

I'm actually still waiting on Good Sam to call me back and tell me someone with air is on the way. 😳

I won't leave home without my own supply again.

pappy19 06-08-2014 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J. Morgan (Post 1466544)
I despise those screw jacks. I say the better answer is a better bottle jack....

Of course that doesn't really matter on the side of the road , it seems the jack i despise will get you out of a tight spot... ;)

In many cases, a bottle jack will not fit under an axle in a good spot with a flat. Also, the top of a bottle jack is very small and can slip off a round axle. The best screw/scissor jack is off a Chevy 2500. Easy to maneuver under an axle with a flat and it has a ratchet handle that makes the "up" function very easy. I own a Ford pickup but I have a Chevy jack in my tool box. Whatever works best.

Melody Ranch 06-08-2014 10:51 PM

Jeeze Lynn, it is after 10 and your still waiting for some source for air? Is that a Good Sam service you called? If so, I'd be all over them tomorrow. AAA, Good Sam and USAA all should have good tow services....call and let them know the problem.
I always carry a spare....traveling Texas can be awful lonesome out there. I also have an aluminum floor type jack (39 dollars at most tool supply places) very small and light. It fits an Airstream nice and a breeze to use. Make sure you have a lug wrench too. Sorry for your troubles.

richw46 06-08-2014 10:51 PM

Jack types

1 Attachment(s)
Just so the different jack types are understood, here's a picture. :)

lcurrie 06-08-2014 11:07 PM

Got my air, just had to take matters into my own hands. Had my spare, it was just flat. For those of you that camp with me when my parents are there, if you tell my daddy that I had a flat spare, I will never speak to you again. :)

NevadaGeo 06-08-2014 11:46 PM

A good old tall bicycle pump will do wonders. I about had to fight some people with a spare with low air to get them to understand they could pump up their tire with the bicycle pump instead of waiting on some tow.
Get your dad to set you up with a jack with a top that will work on your Safari, you'll be proud, he'll be prouder