Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Airstream Lifestyle (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483/)
-   -   Camp Chair Mulling (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483/camp-chair-mulling-120940.html)

Pagey 06-17-2014 07:21 AM

We have two Lafuma zero-gravity recliners from Relax the Back. Quite comfy. Right now, they are in our living room since we have sold almost all of our regular furniture.

We also have two GCI Pico compact folding camp chairs that just arrived yesterday. Learned about them from Bab at Aluminalina in March. Had them customized with our names so that we can keep track of them at rallies.;)

Guess we will get the Zip Dees when we buy our trailer, but the 2015 Classic doesn't look like it has storage for them alongside the couch. If not, we will stow them in our "too big" truck!:D

m.hony 06-17-2014 08:09 AM

The Panoramic rear window in the 2015 Classic is cool, but you lose some wardrobe space.
That rolling shed will take up the slack.
The bathroom medicine cabinet in the 2015 doesn't have as much storage in the 2015.
The 2015 doesn't have the "credenza" behind the dinette, either.
I can't wait to walk through a 2015 in person.
My, that cat in your avatar has some big ears!

PharmGeek 06-17-2014 08:12 AM

I'll be reconsidering lafuma and other brand zero gravity types

I want to find a way to sit in some zip dees - maybe they have a few at camping world - just have to find time to get there and look as it is a bit out if my way during my busy work week

m.hony 06-17-2014 08:16 AM

Go to an Airstream dealer to sit in Zip Dees...
Sit in a Zip Dee at a rally...
If we are ever at the same rally again you are welcome to sit in one of my Zip Dees.
There are similar looking chairs with wooden arms for sale many places.
I need to see about those cup holders...

Pagey 06-17-2014 08:54 AM

We really like our Lafumas. Worth the money in our opinion.

Our first chance to actually "walk" the new Classic won't be until next January at the Florida RV super show. It be then when we decide whether to go with the 2015 or start searching for an older 31.

Mercedes is the kitten in my avatar. She is now 11 years old.

Sent from my HTCONE using Airstream Forums mobile app

cptfish 06-17-2014 11:42 AM

After seeing the Lafuma Cham'Elips chair at a friends AS camp we decided to get our own. At 6 lb 6 oz they are the lightest you can find. They have a 5 position reclining ergonomic S shaped back. We also got the mini fold up stools to put at our feet when we recline since we are replacing our zero gravity chairs with this combo. Thought we could use the stools in our trailer for last minute seating or to put our feet up. The chairs and the Lafuma PH camp stool are from lots of places but we found the best price at backcountry.com. Also bought a couple storage bags at Camping World. We will miss our zero gravity sometimes but decided to pare down and lighten our load.

desertair27 06-17-2014 11:48 AM

I love my ZipDee chairs! I even bought a couple extra to use in the backyard.

PharmGeek 06-17-2014 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cptfish (Post 1470549)
After seeing the Lafuma Cham'Elips chair at a friends AS camp we decided to get our own. At 6 lb 6 oz they are the lightest you can find. They have a 5 position reclining ergonomic S shaped back. We also got the mini fold up stools to put at our feet when we recline since we are replacing our zero gravity chairs with this combo. Thought we could use the stools in our trailer for last minute seating or to put our feet up. The chairs and the Lafuma PH camp stool are from lots of places but we found the best price at backcountry.com. Also bought a couple storage bags at Camping World. We will miss our zero gravity sometimes but decided to pare down and lighten our load.

Oh now this is good feedback as I liked this chair (in theory). - my beach chairs are similar but not ergonomic and this no back support - could you confirm that these do support back pretty well? Looking at them it seems they do

When I lounge in my beach chairs I too find something to prop my feet

This chair is high on my list - any other feedback about this chair appreciated - so little about it on the net

Would you say your cham elipse with stool setup rivals the comfort of the zero gravity? I have the real estate for the zero gravity chairs but not sure I want to pull that trigger IF I can find something ball park as comfy

PharmGeek 06-17-2014 12:01 PM

Also sizes? "Standard" vs "one size " for the cham elips?

m.hony 06-17-2014 12:03 PM

I love my Zip Dee chairs, bit no cup holder...
There is no cup holder available- at least not through Zip Dee-
If a cup holder were on it, the chair wouldn't fold up and fit into its little cabinet in the trailer.
I guess I need some other type of chair and a tonneau cover- I like the Coleman ones with the tray on the side. I like those big reclining lounge chairs, too. It is so easy to take a nap in one of those.

Woosch 06-17-2014 12:50 PM

We have built up quite the collection of chairs over the last few years. Always seems like we try someone else's favorite and wind up getting that chair. Our latest is the folding chair at Costco by Timber Ridge. Has a nice foldout table which is convenient and the chair itself is pretty comfortable.

cptfish 06-17-2014 01:37 PM

We have only used them once as we just got them. They are definitely ergonomic with a curve built in the back for lumbar support and are very light. I don't think they are a total replacement for the zero gravity chair cuz your feet are not raised up as high, but they are very well made and light and great for a high back chair. We find the zero gravity not as easy to pull up to a table either as are these chairs. Our friend who has them has also bought two of the Lafuma zero gravity chairs and carries all four chairs with him. Our budget only went for the two high back chairs which we thought were multi- purpose.

PharmGeek 06-17-2014 03:50 PM

cptfish...I assume you bought the standard size as that is all that the website you mention sells...and these are without a headrest...they also sell an XL model slightly larger (1 inch larger in all respects it seems) that comes with a headrest....but for 25 more bucks that just burned me....how is your chair without the neck support...there is a little foam head neck support on our beach chairs and it makes the world of difference....XL would allow a bit more leeway for heavier folks sitting in it I suppose....but if standard without headrest is great for you maybe I will forgo the headrest and avoid that extra cost if I try out a set of these.

Landrum 06-17-2014 04:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I love the look of the ZD chairs, but we really like cup holders. Maybe we are crazy, but we think these are really comfortable. They cost a whopping $16 at target (or a set of 2 for $25).

Attachment 214408

cptfish 06-17-2014 06:14 PM

No you aren't crazy or else we are too! We have similar chairs to yours with cup holders that we use for river rafting and car camping. I like the other Lafuma chairs for high back support and leaning back for a snooze. I don't know about paying $25 more for the neck support that Pharmageek talked about. We will be breaking in the chairs in two weeks so I'll have a better idea but suspect that no pillow is necessary especially for $25 more! We have multiple chairs as do many of you and these will be our nice ones for AS adventures,

PharmGeek 06-17-2014 06:27 PM

I love your Ph camp stool idea too - dual function :)

I'm about to order from amazon and see how I like these chairs - they must pass my "feel comfy through a movie test"

PharmGeek 06-17-2014 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landrum (Post 1470658)
I love the look of the ZD chairs, but we really like cup holders. Maybe we are crazy, but we think these are really comfortable. They cost a whopping $16 at target (or a set of 2 for $25).

Attachment 214408

I find these comfy for less than 30 min or if I'll be up and down a lot - beyond that my back is bad for getting tense - I have to put pillows behind my back at home or I wake up at night with terrible tightness in my back - my poor posture at work is beginning to take it's toll

Landrum 06-17-2014 08:35 PM

Right.....I should have mentioned. With three small kids I would consider it a great day to get 30 consecutive minutes in a chair.

PharmGeek 06-17-2014 09:47 PM

My 2 kids at this point nap for 1-2 hours mid day and both crash by 830 leaving mom and dad some time to kick back and lounge :)

That will change over time I'm sure

PharmGeek 06-18-2014 03:23 PM

cptfish....

I ordered two of the lafuma cham elips chairs in XL with headrest...besides my wanting the headrest that matches, the higher weight capacity I like too...standard size is 260lbs, which is ballpark my father in laws and a few other folks' weights I know and so added strength in case they decide to try out my chair is good...and it was 20 bucks more chair for the added size and head rest so not "terrible" (such is my rationalization. Ordered in color "obsidian" and ordered two of the matching camp stools you mentioned for 18 bucks a pop...had 60 bucks in amazon points as well to knock off my final price tag making it a bit more tolerable...they arrive in the mail this week....hopefully I like....

The stools are brilliant as I can use them as foot rests, side table, or as extra quick seating in a pinch as I camp with some siblings and friends here and there.

If I dont like these then I am not sure what I will try...but I have found enough reviews on these chairs that I am pretty sure they are very comfy. and only 6 lbs...not too bad...not terrible small - do not fold up as compact as the zip dees, but that will not be a prob for me at this point...at least these are very light.