Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Airstream Lifestyle (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483/)
-   -   Camp Chair Mulling (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483/camp-chair-mulling-120940.html)

Landshark 06-09-2014 10:18 PM

We have really enjoyed our Zip Dee chairs, they are comfortable for us.

Our awning ctr support suddenly fell down one day and ripped a hole in one of our chair seats and we were able to order a replacement fabric seat cover from Zip Dee. That's a convenience I haven't noticed is available from other mfctrs, at least on these postings, and it is valuable to me because the ZD chair quality is so good it would be a shame to have to dump a chair for a ripped seat.

I have also found two ZD chairs at thrift stores ($5!) and have been able to replace their seat covers to match our other chairs and because of PO seat damage.

Best of luck in your search!

Vivian

PharmGeek 06-09-2014 10:56 PM

Thanks for all the input.

I dont know why I have to wait till mid next week to get the chair shipped from HD. In the meantime, I may swing by camping world and see what they keep stocked.

Ill be over in north georgia (vogel state park) this coming weekend for a 4 day weekend with just my wife...Ill keep an eye out on that drive for some places that have a good selection to look at.

reinergirl 06-09-2014 11:05 PM

I personally love the lafuma recliners... Have you sat in one? I used to do the horse show (Reiner) circuit and these chairs are in every horse trailer. We used to nap in them as the 5am call times were brutal. Space, well they aren't so compact but comfort? They rock!

MYater 06-10-2014 03:07 AM

As it has been said, everybody's tastes are different, but after reading this whole thread to here I see one major thing that I hope you are keeping in mind. "Other People"

I have several chairs I take camping every time;

1. A couple of the zero gas gravity chairs I picked up at target a decade ago which stay by my trailer and are great for napping and reading.

2. The collapsible folding chairs that I picked up a dozen years at the "Sportsmans warehouse" booth at an outdoors show for seven dollars a piece, and the their replacements.

Since I am mean and don't share the zero gravity chairs nobody but my wife and I use them and they are in great condition.

The seven dollar chairs however end up being drug all over every camp I go to even when I am monitoring them. The plastic feet on them get broken from people tipping back, dragging them astounds versus carrying, and using them I'll incorrectly, which makes me the bad guy again for not letting them try to destroy my stuff, but as soon as it turn my back back.... Embers from camp fires tend to do a number on them even when you are trying to keep them safe.

Moral of the story, take a couple of the $10ish dollar chairs as well. You'll hate to get a fire ember or tipped over chair by someone else on you new chair whatever it may be.

rbs 06-10-2014 06:14 AM

camp chair

Alps Mountaineering Camp Chair has worked very well for us, the best built, sturdiest and most comfortable chair that I have found. We have used these for going on 4 years, they go everywhere with us and get a lot of use, and looks like they could last forever.

Roadtech 06-10-2014 11:05 AM

I can't stand to have a chair support rod across my back or legs, so I look for a chair design that doesn't have a rod that will contact my back or legs. That's one thing I like about the Kermit Chair design, the support rods are curved so they don't make contact with your back or legs.

robert claus 06-10-2014 11:18 AM

chair choice

1 Attachment(s)
I also have the Coleman chairs with side tables - very happy and a great value. Also - silver!

PharmGeek 06-10-2014 11:55 AM

Good point MYater - i have a couple cheap umbrella types that I use now in a pinch but they will no doubt not last more than another year or two - beyond that I would like to get a few replacements that are fairly compact and stout to take abuse

But chair I want now is "my chair" :)

m.hony 06-14-2014 07:24 AM

Sitting hear in my Zip Dee chair thinking, "I really like this chair. I should buy a couple of those cup holders that attach to the arm."

tvketchum 06-16-2014 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PharmGeek (Post 1466281)
...I am just 150 lbs, wife is light as well (I wont risk posting a weigh here).

For future reference, your wife's weight is "ample" and her age is "mature".......

m.hony 06-16-2014 06:44 PM

And don't announce her age on one of those radio station birthday announcements...
Someone set me up...
I didn't do it...

PharmGeek 06-16-2014 07:01 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Lol - I got this in mail - more photos and review of it to come - first impressions are good but I'll sit in it tonight for a while and see what I thinkAttachment 214330
Attachment 214331

Don't give me crap about the photo - crappy haircut I got recently by a person that has never cut my hair - why did I not act on that voice that said "run away!"

Also my initial impression was I needed a bit of back support for max comfort - my back often gets tense these days I think because my terrible office posture - I used the head pillow think on my lower back and it was seeming wonderful - more later -

Also a couple shots if it stored in truck - one sitting alone and another with other beach chairs stacked - I think it should prove acceptable from a space perspective - they are quite wide - wish it was a bit more narrow

Attachment 214332
Attachment 214333

PharmGeek 06-16-2014 07:04 PM

I need to go measure and see if two fit in truck side by side as well

m.hony 06-16-2014 07:16 PM

That's a really big chair.
I need a tonneau cover so stuff like that can ride in the truck.
I'll wait on the tonneau. I bought Rock Tamers today...

PharmGeek 06-16-2014 07:17 PM

I have the roll n lock that came with my truck when bought - love it

m.hony 06-16-2014 07:20 PM

That makes that truck an even better bargain. That tonneau might be $1,200 or more.

lcurrie 06-16-2014 10:00 PM

This is my favorite chair, hands down. It's heavy and a pain to load and unload, but I wouldn't trade sitting in it for the lightest chairs on Earth.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-...olors/22138808

Lynn

PharmGeek 06-16-2014 10:42 PM

Well - after sitting in this for a while - I am less enthused - it has no support for lower back - I used a small pillow under my lower back and that helped bit after a while sitting watching a movie - i felt uncomfortable

Without attempting some form of back support - it is for me quickly uncomfortable

I am going to try sitting in it more but I'm pretty sure it is going to be returned

PharmGeek 06-16-2014 10:45 PM

Also - even though it does not have a cross bar that pushes on your legs - the fabric across that area creates some similar feeling - I propped my feet on a chair and that felt better but something just does not feel right how it distributes weight - my tommy Bahama beach chairs are more comfortable

m.hony 06-17-2014 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcurrie (Post 1470354)
This is my favorite chair, hands down. It's heavy and a pain to load and unload, but I wouldn't trade sitting in it for the lightest chairs on Earth.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-...olors/22138808

Lynn

I see the tan ones at our local Walmart...