Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Airstream Lifestyle (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483/)
-   -   Camp Chair Mulling (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483/camp-chair-mulling-120940.html)

Jammer 06-09-2014 09:10 AM

We have the Zip Dee chairs and like them for use in and around the trailer. They are heavy and do not fold down as well as bag chairs, however.

This year I bought a "Travelchair" which is supposed to be an improvement over the discount store bag chairs. Quality is better but perhaps not enough to justify the price.

PharmGeek 06-09-2014 09:16 AM

I will look for myself but I'm fairly skeptical about the price tag of the improved type chair like you mention but some appear much much more comfortable and some may have better build quality....maybe...skeptical....the Eureka appears to have more metal articulated joints as opposed to plastic bit still plenty of things to break on it...

Those pico telescoping chairs are nifty - gold down to a lap top size - those would store wonderfully

So many options and it seems difficult to find places to actually sit in many of the options

indygirl85 06-09-2014 09:31 AM

This is only semi-related, but Amazon has a deal now where if you spend $100 or more on Coleman products (some of the coolers and chairs mentioned above qualify) you save $20.

Arcticfox 06-09-2014 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PharmGeek (Post 1466734)
Those pico telescoping chairs are nifty - gold down to a lap top size - those would store wonderfully

So many options and it seems difficult to find places to actually sit in many of the options

I just looked at the Pico video on the net and it does look like a cool chair. Wonder what the quality/ sit-ability is like?

Cheers
Doug

PharmGeek 06-09-2014 10:46 AM

Mini Pocket Chair - Portable, Foldable and Convenient! - YouTube

heh heh

PharmGeek 06-09-2014 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arcticfox (Post 1466745)
I just looked at the Pico video on the net and it does look like a cool chair. Wonder what the quality/ sit-ability is like?

Cheers
Doug


of course that is the lingering question...

I am not an engineer...but somehow to me looking at the design (GCI and others make their own version btw) it seems more rock solid than the standard umbrella folding camp chairs...but that is my intuition and looking at the components and videos alone...they look pretty sturdy to me...but I could not be totally sure about quality...

This option is a very good one for easy storage..hoping gander mountain today has a variety I can sit in and try and see how they feel...

Roadtech 06-09-2014 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skooter (Post 1466696)
Check out Kermit chairs. They're beautiful. Somewhat of a cult following among some of the adventure riders on advrider motorcycle forum. Pricey, and I don't care for having to purchase a leg extension kit, but def worth a look. Kermit Chair Company | The Original Touring Chair

I agree. I have 2 Kermit chairs and their table. I don't think you can find a more compact chair when stored that also is as comfortable. Expensive but will last a lifetime.

Tater 06-09-2014 11:43 AM

I have 2 Coleman lightweight folding chairs and they are great. Very comfortable.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Airstream Forums mobile app

Arcticfox 06-09-2014 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PharmGeek (Post 1466789)
of course that is the lingering question...

I am not an engineer...but somehow to me looking at the design (GCI and others make their own version btw) it seems more rock solid than the standard umbrella folding camp chairs...but that is my intuition and looking at the components and videos alone...they look pretty sturdy to me...but I could not be totally sure about quality...

This option is a very good one for easy storage..hoping gander mountain today has a variety I can sit in and try and see how they feel...

It will be interesting to see if you can find this chair and actually try it out. I look forward to your report if you get lucky.

PharmGeek 06-09-2014 02:48 PM

I went to gander mountain...their zero gravity chairs were I think perhaps on the cheaper quality side (80 bucks) - evidence of this was a broken part on the floor model..

Their reclining folding chair variety was pretty nice with high enough back to support neck and head in a reclined position....but the back is not designed at all to be very ergonomic (although still fairly comfy) - vs. the lafuma cham elips has a contour to it that I think will possibly prove more supportive of the lower back - the lafuma is only 10-20 bucks more so worth trying out...REI has a version as well..but it looks the same as far as the back.

They also had some directors chairs, but not the pico telescoping variety...I kinda like the director's chair...its not really all that nice for laying back and reading in or lounding in for very long, but pretty comfy, and if one of those telescoping ones, then the size to pack it is awesome.

I also like the look of those lafluma transabed models....I am going to call lafuma and ask more about this one...it appears to fold down nearly flat (especially the middle portion, not so much the frame) - this would easily stow in my truck bed taking up little real estate for 1 or two of those chairs - wish there was a place I could try em out...otherwise I may order it through homedepot (i spoke with them today) and try and return if not like (Ill need to be rock solid on their return policy).

I am hoping camping world up the road from me will have some stuff I can try in their store as well....sucks I cant just try all these in one store :)

GAStreamin 06-09-2014 02:55 PM

Camp Chair Mulling
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PharmGeek (Post 1466880)
I went to gander mountain...their zero gravity chairs were I think perhaps on the cheaper quality side (80 bucks) - evidence of this was a broken part on the floor model..

Their reclining folding chair variety was pretty nice with high enough back to support neck and head in a reclined position....but the back is not designed at all to be very ergonomic (although still fairly comfy) - vs. the lafuma cham elips has a contour to it that I think will possibly prove more supportive of the lower back - the lafuma is only 10-20 bucks more so worth trying out...REI has a version as well..but it looks the same as far as the back.

They also had some directors chairs, but not the pico telescoping variety...I kinda like the director's chair...its not really all that nice for laying back and reading in or lounding in for very long, but pretty comfy, and if one of those telescoping ones, then the size to pack it is awesome.

I also like the look of those lafluma transabed models....I am going to call lafuma and ask more about this one...it appears to fold down nearly flat (especially the middle portion, not so much the frame) - this would easily stow in my truck bed taking up little real estate for 1 or two of those chairs - wish there was a place I could try em out...otherwise I may order it through homedepot (i spoke with them today) and try and return if not like (Ill need to be rock solid on their return policy).

I am hoping camping world up the road from me will have some stuff I can try in their store as well....sucks I cant just try all these in one store :)


I just appreciate you doing all the hard work and saving us that time, though each person's tastes and needs vary. It would be so much harder for me, because any store like that would be an hour or more away. 😒

AnnArborBob 06-09-2014 03:16 PM

Lafuma
 
We have owned Lafuma chairs and have always been impressed with the quality and comfort. Ours are older models that do not fold up very compactly so we got the Strongback for use on the road. If you find a Lafuma model that you like and that you can store, you won't go wrong.

:)

PharmGeek 06-09-2014 03:17 PM

Oh, yeah, I know everyone will vary on their tastes...and that makes since in this case...soooo many factors....space, weight, intended use, aesthetics, ergonomics, cost, etc etc...

not as important in this thread to identify the "best" chair...but to identify known factors for consideration for all individuals...

Nearly all of the chairs we discussed I have been very much impressed with...

I just spoke with a representative from lafuma....they said that the transabed when closed, the bars height is 7 inches...but that the entire center has no bars and only space is the fabric and the head cushion.....so possibly could pack nicely in truck bed and stack stuff on it with minimal real estate taken up...

the mulling continues :)

PharmGeek 06-09-2014 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnArborBob (Post 1466894)
We have owned Lafuma chairs and have always been impressed with the quality and comfort. Ours are older models that do not fold up very compactly so we got the Strongback for use on the road. If you find a Lafuma model that you like and that you can store, you won't go wrong.

:)

Saw you just posted this...spoke to lafuma...I am quite sure that the transabed will store just fine...very possible I will now order from home depot and give it a shot....if like, keep, if not return....

PharmGeek 06-09-2014 03:54 PM

I ordered a single transabed from homedepot to deliver estimated next week...ill post photos in the different positions and other photos and feedback once I get it and try it out....there is so little on this chair as far as reviews, youtube videos, etc...we shall see...I double checked home depot online return policy and exceptions....30 day return policy (that was the exception for furniture, 90 day otherwise)...

I think if the wife and I love these we will use them and supplement later with the pico style as money trees re-grow....my other concern with this chair is how it will function for just haning out and talking with folks...one review online said it was good for this purpose (as opposed to the zero grav type) so we shall see...but still is a bit more laid back than a very upright style chair...which I am ok with...I think..we shall see

Globie64 06-09-2014 04:09 PM

My favorite outdoor chair is a butterfly chair, yeah, the boomerang shaped iron thing with canvas. We'd take the frames in our pickup when taking the Airstream out, but now I'm looking for some good folding ones. We have other very nice folding camp chairs, but the butterfly chairs are the most comfortable for lazing around the campsite or camp fire, imho. Folding butterfly chair - TheFind

PharmGeek 06-09-2014 04:31 PM

Yeah - I have a similar tendency to want to lay back :)

Rrroberts40 06-09-2014 04:55 PM

I'll 4th or 5th or where ever it might be now on the Coleman chairs with the folding table w/built in cupholder...we tried many and these are the favorites so far by weight and ease of use...

FCloud9 06-09-2014 09:30 PM

Camp Chair Mulling
 
4 Attachment(s)
We bought two folding Adirondack chairs from LLBean, unfortunately they were "huge, heavy & very uncomfortably". Promptly sent them back immediately & found some very comfortably traditional folding chairs at Target. Fun bright colors, we choose two teal with matching bistro table. Chairs fold very flat & compact, as does the table. Set should serve our purpose for awhile. Also, bought camp mat developed by military- CGear....should do the job keeping dirt our of our new Flying Cloud.
First shark down weekend in two weeks. Attachment 213941Attachment 213942Attachment 213943Attachment 213944

richinny 06-09-2014 09:43 PM

after 30 years my favorite lawn chair died. the feature i enjoyed most was the fact that it had wood arm rests. it also was higher in the back than most chairs. i'll be out there hunting too.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.