Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Airstream Lifestyle (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483/)
-   -   Camp Chair Mulling (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483/camp-chair-mulling-120940.html)

PharmGeek 06-08-2014 01:38 PM

Camp Chair Mulling

So, we do not have any camping chairs. It was my B-day yesterday and could not still decide on what chairs I wanted to buy.

I plan on going to sit on some zip dee chairs this coming week and see if comfort for me is acceptable...I am just 150 lbs, wife is light as well (I wont risk posting a weigh here :brows: )...I had a couple cheapy camping folding chairs with those plastic joints...I say back and leaned in one of them and busted the plastic joint...I hate to buy cheap junk anymore.

I have scoured various threads...zip dee seems solid...pricey but if fairly comfy and as good quality as many seems to report, I could live with that.

Someone on another thread asked me to check out the strongback folding chair...I loved the look of those, but all those joints (they appear to be plastic) make me worried....if I pay 80 bucks I dont want something that just breaks...mostly good reviews on that chair it seems but a “decent” amount of reports of quality issues.....maybe those are more stout than I give them credit...I would like to have a set of those especially if they could slid into that front storage compartment just behind the propane tanks (not a deal breaker).

PharmGeek 06-08-2014 01:42 PM

Ive considered something like or lafuma themselves....but im not sure I wanna give up that much storage real estate...with kids, we dont really get to lounge all that much so not sure worth it for me....

jpons 06-08-2014 02:07 PM

I've tried dozens of chairs at Walmart, dicks, target, cabelas, rei and the flagship llbean store. And none have felt as good and comfortable as the strongback. My girlfriend got me two of them for my birthday, although I suspect one is for her. :)

I've had mine since January and they have excessed my expectations. I was also hesitant to spend $80 per chair but having used them already a couple of dozens of times I can honestly say that I would not hesitate to spend that kind of money on them. Yes they do have some plastic parts but they appear to be strong enough to me.

In any case, the chairs are something I use extensively and I can sit on these for hours and not get sore like so many others I've had. Nothing about them makes me think they would last less than any other high quality folding chairs, but even if they did I would gladly trade a little lifespan for the comfort of that these provide.

PharmGeek 06-08-2014 02:11 PM

Compelling point! Thanks for the review!

jpons 06-08-2014 02:17 PM

One drawback to the strongback chairs that I did not mention is that when folded these are not as compact as some others so if this is a big concern make sure they will fit. My guess is that this is because of their ergonomic design. I carry mine under the dinette table.

If you are going I buy these consider buying from LLBean as they have an excellent warrantee and return policy and you should be able to get free shipping.

PharmGeek 06-08-2014 02:19 PM

Even better! Thanks.

The space for these two chairs would not be a big deal for me if I opted for them

jpons 06-08-2014 02:24 PM

If you have any specific questions about them don't hesitate to ask.

BTW I have no connection to strongback, just a very happy customer.

noreen&sal 06-08-2014 02:31 PM

Pharm, you sat down with us at Canopener. When your as old as I am, any chair works. When You have all the little urchins running around You don't have time to sit down anyhow. Sal:lol:

SL4BLLT 06-08-2014 02:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
PharmGeek, a belated Happy Birthday.
A few lessons learned that we have experienced on the ownership of many chairs.
1. We own the Zip-Dee chairs to include the leg extensions to make them into a sort of recliner. The chairs are probably 15 years old, have weathered well and store easy. The weight compared to the next set I will mention is the only down fall. Well worth the investment.
2. Telescope "beach chairs" You can get these in regular height, off the ground and chaise style. Amazon normally has these on sale, off season or a few right now to include cup holders for about $115 a piece. Very comfortable, light and versatile. Downfall, they do take up some space as they do not fold to the 2" that the Zip Dee chairs fold too.
We own about five of these (telescope) as we bought them when blizzards were taking place in the winter for about $65 a piece to include the chaise lounge which normally run about $225 each. If you do go this route, become a Amazon Prime Member for $79 and they will be shipped for free. Normally 2-days. Amazing. Again, great for the beach as they recline and are aluminum so salt water is really not a worry.
3. The lafuma, we've got these in storage. We used them, found them to be kind of heavy, but they did store nice. I kept ripping my shorts pocket (right side) on the arm for some reason as I would sit down. I'm a little bigger than you at about 225 so the width could have been the limit due to what we purchased.

On storage, based on your comment about behind your propane tanks, your Zip Dee and Telescope would be strong contenders. Both come with great warranties and years of tradition. We still carry the zip-dee as they store real easy and we can get the two regular Telescope in the rear closet and the Chaise go on the floor during travel.
You may ask why so many chairs, well the 8" brass captains bell that we have on the side of the Airstream (Land yacht) to ring in Happy Hour may be the reason.

Good luck in your choice.

SL4BLLT

PharmGeek 06-08-2014 02:54 PM

I'm not sure I am aware if this "telescoping chair". Link?

Airrogant 06-08-2014 02:55 PM

This might interest you:

Camping Chair Reviews - OutdoorGearLab

SL4BLLT 06-08-2014 03:04 PM

Here is the Amazon link
Amazon.com : Telescope Casual Light and Easy High Boy Folding Beach Arm Chair with Cup Holders, Blue/White Stripe : Folding Patio Chairs : Patio, Lawn & Garden

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...kL._SX522_.jpg

PharmGeek 06-08-2014 03:16 PM

Nice offering from lafuma as well I am contemplating :)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DDxRdp1eqC0

jpons 06-08-2014 03:56 PM

I have one of these and they are very comfortable and very well made. However they are very very heavy and don't fold down all that much making them impossible to fit in my 20' safari.

Something else to consider are small pack able hammocks. I have a couple of these http://Eagles Nest Outfitters Hammoc..._WYmLtb0CFXYKV and they are awesome. Make sure you get the "slap straps" and they are super easy to hang from a couple of trees.

For me, the combination of the strongback chairs and the hammocks is just perfect.

-J

Quote:

Originally Posted by PharmGeek (Post 1466346)
Nice offering from lafuma as well I am contemplating :)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DDxRdp1eqC0

PharmGeek 06-08-2014 04:00 PM

I have two tommy Bahama reclining beach chairs I bought at Costco a few years back - love them - would enjoy something of similar design but sitting higher - the lafuma cham elips seems to fit that bill 80-100 bucks and they appear pretty light - 6 lbs (if you know other brands of this style please share)

Those hammocks look awesome - lots to consider :)

PharmGeek 06-08-2014 04:02 PM

That eureka curvy chair looked interesting as well - somewhat similar to the strong back - that company seems to make a reclining basic type similar to the cham elips but it looks more complicated and ?problematic? A mechanism

m.hony 06-08-2014 04:43 PM

9 Attachment(s)
The Zip Dee chairs don't have a drink holder, but the chairs with drink holders don't have their own little cabinet in my trailer and they don't match the awnings.
Attachment 213822
Attachment 213823Attachment 213824
Attachment 213825Attachment 213826Attachment 213827Attachment 213828Attachment 213829Attachment 213830

m.hony 06-08-2014 04:46 PM

The s curvy reclining chairs are the most comfortable, but I don't really have anywhere to store them.

Arcticfox 06-08-2014 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PharmGeek (Post 1466281)
So, we do not have any camping chairs. It was my B-day yesterday and could not still decide on what chairs I wanted to buy.

I plan on going to sit on some zip dee chairs this coming week and see if comfort for me is acceptable...

Hold the Presses -
The way this B-Day present thing actually works is you have to make up your mind on or before your big day. After the date DOES NOT work and you must forfeit this years gift and wait till next year....:angel:

So with that in mind, I would consider going to the wood pile on your next camping trip and find yourself a proper stump that you can sit on.

(Just think of the $$ you will save also....:devil:)

TinShack 06-08-2014 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PharmGeek (Post 1466374)
I have two tommy Bahama reclining beach chairs I bought at Costco a few years back - love them - would enjoy something of similar design but sitting higher - the lafuma cham elips seems to fit that bill 80-100 bucks and they appear pretty light - 6 lbs (if you know other brands of this style please share)

I have several camp chairs in my shed that don't get used for various reasons. I would shop around at local stores to see what suits you. Nothing like trying before buying.
We also have the Tommy Bahama beach chairs from Costco and like them for lounging at the beach or at the lake, but are too short for regular camp use. We also have Lafuma zero-gravity chairs that we always carry with us. To me they can't be beat for a good afternoon snooze, but aren't very well suited for sitting around a campfire.
The chairs that we use the most, because they are comfortable, durable, good for sitting around a campfire and light (about 7lbs) are the Coleman deck chairs with the side table. You can keep your drink, snacks and book handy at all times! If I had to choose only one chair, it would be this one.
Amazon.com : Coleman Deck Chair With Table : Camping Chairs : Sports & Outdoors

Jack46 06-08-2014 06:01 PM

We have purchased probably six sets of chairs over the years and our favorite are the folding Coleman deck chairs. They are light weight and store easily under the dinette

We purchased a set of Zip Dee's and they now have an honored spot in our garage pulled out when we need another set for our home patio. We found them to be too heavy and not quite comfortable over the long term.

Rocinante 06-08-2014 06:21 PM

We have a couple of these that we bought from REI, and they are nice too, though I'm tempted by the other chairs people have spoken of here. They fold down as compactly as a standard "captain's" camp chair, but they are a lot more comfortable and they are $45 vs. $79.

GCI Outdoor Outdoor Recliner Chair at REI.com

PharmGeek 06-08-2014 06:27 PM

Hahaha - well bday passed but the monetary value passed to Father's Day :) :)

The Coleman folding chair looks nice - that REI recliner looks up my alley as well

urnmor 06-08-2014 06:33 PM

We have two of the Strongback chairs, one in each size, and like them very much. We also have an LL Bean and a LaFauma recliner and like both. I would recommend any of them for camping

GCinSC2 06-08-2014 06:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Both came from Wally World. The high back is over a year old, the Ozark Trail on the left picked it up today. Attachment 213840

A W Warn 06-08-2014 06:49 PM

I have 5 Zip Dee chairs and 2 Zip Dee lounge chair extension, two chairs in my Safari and the rest in my Excella. I use these only around the trailers, mostly under the awning. One chair is more than 25 years. The two with the lounge extensions are about 20 years. Two are 15 years and still look new. Zip Dee chairs are very well built and last forever if you take care of them.

But, I also buy cheap aluminum folding chairs with cloth seats and a side table. To me these are more comfortable. If I use these on the beach I usually get 3-4 seasons. Then I toss them in the recycle bin when the steel rivets and braces get too rusty. I recently found some at Harbor Freight that work pretty good for about $25.

SL4BLLT 06-08-2014 07:06 PM

Agree with AW on the longevity of the Zip Dee. His statement of taking care of them is spot on. I would not put them in the ocean like other brands, but then again maybe folks have. After pulling up some paperwork, our Zip Dee's are 19 years old. My how time flies when you are having fun.
The lafuma's are very comfortable as mentioned by many and you can roll right back. The new updates have a lever for the release rather than the older version which had a tension knob that would rotate to keep the chair in position. Make sure you check them out to make sure that it is a simple function that kids can adapt too. They will be spending more time in the chair before we get to it.
Finally getting to use our many chairs. NOW, with our Son being at the young age of 24 and now wanting to Airstream and not camp. Interesting how they get smarter in life.

Looks like you have some great input for the now "Father's Day" gift.

Maybe we can start a thread on coolers. I have the Coleman Steelbelt (2) and was looking at a 35 cu in Yeti. These are NOT cheap, but like the Zip Dee Chairs, Old Town canoes, these items are meant to last for decades if not generations to hand off not only the product, but the memories.

Oh, did I mention Airstreams?

This is what life is about. It only takes more time than money.

Best of luck,

SL4BLLT

Bk Yd Safari 06-08-2014 07:24 PM

camping world has two styles of Margaritaville folding camp chairs that fold-up and fit in a carry bag. one has a higher back than the other and is a little more roomy, both have a cup holder and a small "ice chest" (actually an insulated bag). they do have the plastic feet.

AnnArborBob 06-08-2014 07:32 PM

My mother has a pair of Zip Dee chairs that have to be nearly twenty years old, so they do last. However, I find the bar across the seat at the front of the seating area to be very uncomfortable so I don't use them anymore. We've had our Strongbacks for a couple of years now and they are way more comfortable than the Zip Dees and are still going strong. I would suggest that you sit in a chair for ten or fifteen minutes (at least) before you buy, or make sure your retailer has a generous return policy.

Bill M. 06-08-2014 07:33 PM

Our Zip Dee chairs are 25 years old and still are fine. The main reason I like them is they fit in the storage area behind the stove that Airstream put in for them. The down side of the Zip Dee chairs is that they are pretty heavy and not real comfortable. I have not found a camp chair that is truly comfortable yet. We use the folding chairs the roll into the little bag and come from Walmart for our travel chairs. 2 in the trailer compartment and 2 in the truck. I can sit about 30 min in them.

dprvashon 06-08-2014 08:02 PM

Best chairs around

It's a personal choice but we also needed good quality chairs that folded up and we're light weight. We got our new AS last fall and set out searching (meaning sitting) in chairs from Target to Home Depot to REI and landed at Summer House and found their Kettler line perfect. We got 2 with pads...perfect. if you get a chance try these out. Http://www.summerhousepatio.com/Pages/basicPlus.html

Piggy Bank 06-08-2014 08:39 PM

Oh the coolers.

Cute story. We had a Coleman personal 18 we got for a wedding shower gift. Great cooler. Lid locked on. Didn't leak. Perfect size for a footstool or seat. And 2 liter bottles could fit in it. It got left behind at a volleyball gym, and we never found one that could meet it's qualities.

Then 2 years ago, about a week before leaving for our 25th anniversary trip to Yellowstone, well, we decided to look on Ebay. Found the EXACT same one. The seller got it to us right before we left. They even still had the box and the little brochure in it. So, if you like vintage, you may be able to get just what you want for the same cost or lower than a new/lesser build.

John&Vicki 06-08-2014 08:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bought a couple of these rockers for $45 each last year and really like them:

Amazon.com: Prime Products 13-6506 Elite Arizona Tan Rocker Folding Chair: Automotive

Sturdy and comfortable.

Poppy

SteveSueMac 06-08-2014 08:53 PM

On a whim, we stopped in to LL Bean today and were thinking of their version of the zero gravity chairs. They had the strongbacks on the floor and WOW!!! Most comfortable camp chair I've ever sat in! We bought a pair. Best of the best from my perspective!

PharmGeek 06-08-2014 11:22 PM

Well - you all are giving a lot of excellent input - I hope to slip out for lunch tomorrow and sit in some chairs and report back!

Coolers? Oh man oh man - cannot discuss it. Do not plant such seeds you deviants

Aviator 06-09-2014 06:59 AM

We have several Zip Dees. One pair is over 30 years old and holding up fine. I like the compact size when folded. Our son is a soccer player and we have been through tons of the other folding chairs at soccer tournaments and games. Nothing has held up like the Zip Dees. This is one case where you truly get what you pay for. As to cup holders, they do sell a plastic cup holder that clips on just under the armrest

urnmor 06-09-2014 07:07 AM

One has got to love this Forum. Where else can one read in one place so many reviews from coffee pots to folding chairs for camping and everything else in between such as generators, lanterns, grills etc. No doubt we are a very passionate group regarding our camping toys.

Skooter 06-09-2014 07:43 AM

Check out Kermit chairs. They're beautiful. Somewhat of a cult following among some of the adventure riders on advrider motorcycle forum. Pricey, and I don't care for having to purchase a leg extension kit, but def worth a look. Kermit Chair Company | The Original Touring Chair

Belbein 06-09-2014 07:56 AM

umbrella folding chairs from Costco

I bought two umbrella folding chairs from Costco for something like $25 or $50 each. They're a little heavier than our previous ones (Kroger, $9) and don't fold down as small. But they fold into a cylindrical shape about 4" in diameter, and they're very comfortable. Me, I can't see spending much more than that or giving up more space. Just a personal thing.

PharmGeek 06-09-2014 09:08 AM

thanks again for more input...

I am going to swing by a store called "gander mountain" here in Tuscaloosa today...they seem to only carry their own brand chairs..will check those out...then swing by another store near there that lists as a zip dee chair seller from the zip dee website...

Jammer 06-09-2014 09:10 AM

We have the Zip Dee chairs and like them for use in and around the trailer. They are heavy and do not fold down as well as bag chairs, however.

This year I bought a "Travelchair" which is supposed to be an improvement over the discount store bag chairs. Quality is better but perhaps not enough to justify the price.

PharmGeek 06-09-2014 09:16 AM

I will look for myself but I'm fairly skeptical about the price tag of the improved type chair like you mention but some appear much much more comfortable and some may have better build quality....maybe...skeptical....the Eureka appears to have more metal articulated joints as opposed to plastic bit still plenty of things to break on it...

Those pico telescoping chairs are nifty - gold down to a lap top size - those would store wonderfully

So many options and it seems difficult to find places to actually sit in many of the options

indygirl85 06-09-2014 09:31 AM

This is only semi-related, but Amazon has a deal now where if you spend $100 or more on Coleman products (some of the coolers and chairs mentioned above qualify) you save $20.

Arcticfox 06-09-2014 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PharmGeek (Post 1466734)
Those pico telescoping chairs are nifty - gold down to a lap top size - those would store wonderfully

So many options and it seems difficult to find places to actually sit in many of the options

I just looked at the Pico video on the net and it does look like a cool chair. Wonder what the quality/ sit-ability is like?

Cheers
Doug

PharmGeek 06-09-2014 10:46 AM

Mini Pocket Chair - Portable, Foldable and Convenient! - YouTube

heh heh

PharmGeek 06-09-2014 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arcticfox (Post 1466745)
I just looked at the Pico video on the net and it does look like a cool chair. Wonder what the quality/ sit-ability is like?

Cheers
Doug

of course that is the lingering question...

I am not an engineer...but somehow to me looking at the design (GCI and others make their own version btw) it seems more rock solid than the standard umbrella folding camp chairs...but that is my intuition and looking at the components and videos alone...they look pretty sturdy to me...but I could not be totally sure about quality...

This option is a very good one for easy storage..hoping gander mountain today has a variety I can sit in and try and see how they feel...

Roadtech 06-09-2014 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skooter (Post 1466696)
Check out Kermit chairs. They're beautiful. Somewhat of a cult following among some of the adventure riders on advrider motorcycle forum. Pricey, and I don't care for having to purchase a leg extension kit, but def worth a look. Kermit Chair Company | The Original Touring Chair

I agree. I have 2 Kermit chairs and their table. I don't think you can find a more compact chair when stored that also is as comfortable. Expensive but will last a lifetime.

Tater 06-09-2014 11:43 AM

I have 2 Coleman lightweight folding chairs and they are great. Very comfortable.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Airstream Forums mobile app

Arcticfox 06-09-2014 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PharmGeek (Post 1466789)
of course that is the lingering question...

I am not an engineer...but somehow to me looking at the design (GCI and others make their own version btw) it seems more rock solid than the standard umbrella folding camp chairs...but that is my intuition and looking at the components and videos alone...they look pretty sturdy to me...but I could not be totally sure about quality...

This option is a very good one for easy storage..hoping gander mountain today has a variety I can sit in and try and see how they feel...

It will be interesting to see if you can find this chair and actually try it out. I look forward to your report if you get lucky.

PharmGeek 06-09-2014 02:48 PM

I went to gander mountain...their zero gravity chairs were I think perhaps on the cheaper quality side (80 bucks) - evidence of this was a broken part on the floor model..

Their reclining folding chair variety was pretty nice with high enough back to support neck and head in a reclined position....but the back is not designed at all to be very ergonomic (although still fairly comfy) - vs. the lafuma cham elips has a contour to it that I think will possibly prove more supportive of the lower back - the lafuma is only 10-20 bucks more so worth trying out...REI has a version as well..but it looks the same as far as the back.

They also had some directors chairs, but not the pico telescoping variety...I kinda like the director's chair...its not really all that nice for laying back and reading in or lounding in for very long, but pretty comfy, and if one of those telescoping ones, then the size to pack it is awesome.

I also like the look of those lafluma transabed models....I am going to call lafuma and ask more about this one...it appears to fold down nearly flat (especially the middle portion, not so much the frame) - this would easily stow in my truck bed taking up little real estate for 1 or two of those chairs - wish there was a place I could try em out...otherwise I may order it through homedepot (i spoke with them today) and try and return if not like (Ill need to be rock solid on their return policy).

I am hoping camping world up the road from me will have some stuff I can try in their store as well....sucks I cant just try all these in one store :)

GAStreamin 06-09-2014 02:55 PM

Camp Chair Mulling

Quote:

Originally Posted by PharmGeek (Post 1466880)
I went to gander mountain...their zero gravity chairs were I think perhaps on the cheaper quality side (80 bucks) - evidence of this was a broken part on the floor model..

Their reclining folding chair variety was pretty nice with high enough back to support neck and head in a reclined position....but the back is not designed at all to be very ergonomic (although still fairly comfy) - vs. the lafuma cham elips has a contour to it that I think will possibly prove more supportive of the lower back - the lafuma is only 10-20 bucks more so worth trying out...REI has a version as well..but it looks the same as far as the back.

They also had some directors chairs, but not the pico telescoping variety...I kinda like the director's chair...its not really all that nice for laying back and reading in or lounding in for very long, but pretty comfy, and if one of those telescoping ones, then the size to pack it is awesome.

I also like the look of those lafluma transabed models....I am going to call lafuma and ask more about this one...it appears to fold down nearly flat (especially the middle portion, not so much the frame) - this would easily stow in my truck bed taking up little real estate for 1 or two of those chairs - wish there was a place I could try em out...otherwise I may order it through homedepot (i spoke with them today) and try and return if not like (Ill need to be rock solid on their return policy).

I am hoping camping world up the road from me will have some stuff I can try in their store as well....sucks I cant just try all these in one store :)

I just appreciate you doing all the hard work and saving us that time, though each person's tastes and needs vary. It would be so much harder for me, because any store like that would be an hour or more away. 😒

AnnArborBob 06-09-2014 03:16 PM

Lafuma

We have owned Lafuma chairs and have always been impressed with the quality and comfort. Ours are older models that do not fold up very compactly so we got the Strongback for use on the road. If you find a Lafuma model that you like and that you can store, you won't go wrong.

:)

PharmGeek 06-09-2014 03:17 PM

Oh, yeah, I know everyone will vary on their tastes...and that makes since in this case...soooo many factors....space, weight, intended use, aesthetics, ergonomics, cost, etc etc...

not as important in this thread to identify the "best" chair...but to identify known factors for consideration for all individuals...

Nearly all of the chairs we discussed I have been very much impressed with...

I just spoke with a representative from lafuma....they said that the transabed when closed, the bars height is 7 inches...but that the entire center has no bars and only space is the fabric and the head cushion.....so possibly could pack nicely in truck bed and stack stuff on it with minimal real estate taken up...

the mulling continues :)

PharmGeek 06-09-2014 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnArborBob (Post 1466894)
We have owned Lafuma chairs and have always been impressed with the quality and comfort. Ours are older models that do not fold up very compactly so we got the Strongback for use on the road. If you find a Lafuma model that you like and that you can store, you won't go wrong.

:)

Saw you just posted this...spoke to lafuma...I am quite sure that the transabed will store just fine...very possible I will now order from home depot and give it a shot....if like, keep, if not return....

PharmGeek 06-09-2014 03:54 PM

I ordered a single transabed from homedepot to deliver estimated next week...ill post photos in the different positions and other photos and feedback once I get it and try it out....there is so little on this chair as far as reviews, youtube videos, etc...we shall see...I double checked home depot online return policy and exceptions....30 day return policy (that was the exception for furniture, 90 day otherwise)...

I think if the wife and I love these we will use them and supplement later with the pico style as money trees re-grow....my other concern with this chair is how it will function for just haning out and talking with folks...one review online said it was good for this purpose (as opposed to the zero grav type) so we shall see...but still is a bit more laid back than a very upright style chair...which I am ok with...I think..we shall see

Globie64 06-09-2014 04:09 PM

My favorite outdoor chair is a butterfly chair, yeah, the boomerang shaped iron thing with canvas. We'd take the frames in our pickup when taking the Airstream out, but now I'm looking for some good folding ones. We have other very nice folding camp chairs, but the butterfly chairs are the most comfortable for lazing around the campsite or camp fire, imho. Folding butterfly chair - TheFind

PharmGeek 06-09-2014 04:31 PM

Yeah - I have a similar tendency to want to lay back :)

Rrroberts40 06-09-2014 04:55 PM

I'll 4th or 5th or where ever it might be now on the Coleman chairs with the folding table w/built in cupholder...we tried many and these are the favorites so far by weight and ease of use...

FCloud9 06-09-2014 09:30 PM

Camp Chair Mulling

4 Attachment(s)
We bought two folding Adirondack chairs from LLBean, unfortunately they were "huge, heavy & very uncomfortably". Promptly sent them back immediately & found some very comfortably traditional folding chairs at Target. Fun bright colors, we choose two teal with matching bistro table. Chairs fold very flat & compact, as does the table. Set should serve our purpose for awhile. Also, bought camp mat developed by military- CGear....should do the job keeping dirt our of our new Flying Cloud.
First shark down weekend in two weeks. Attachment 213941Attachment 213942Attachment 213943Attachment 213944

richinny 06-09-2014 09:43 PM

after 30 years my favorite lawn chair died. the feature i enjoyed most was the fact that it had wood arm rests. it also was higher in the back than most chairs. i'll be out there hunting too.

Landshark 06-09-2014 10:18 PM

We have really enjoyed our Zip Dee chairs, they are comfortable for us.

Our awning ctr support suddenly fell down one day and ripped a hole in one of our chair seats and we were able to order a replacement fabric seat cover from Zip Dee. That's a convenience I haven't noticed is available from other mfctrs, at least on these postings, and it is valuable to me because the ZD chair quality is so good it would be a shame to have to dump a chair for a ripped seat.

I have also found two ZD chairs at thrift stores ($5!) and have been able to replace their seat covers to match our other chairs and because of PO seat damage.

Best of luck in your search!

Vivian

PharmGeek 06-09-2014 10:56 PM

Thanks for all the input.

I dont know why I have to wait till mid next week to get the chair shipped from HD. In the meantime, I may swing by camping world and see what they keep stocked.

Ill be over in north georgia (vogel state park) this coming weekend for a 4 day weekend with just my wife...Ill keep an eye out on that drive for some places that have a good selection to look at.

reinergirl 06-09-2014 11:05 PM

I personally love the lafuma recliners... Have you sat in one? I used to do the horse show (Reiner) circuit and these chairs are in every horse trailer. We used to nap in them as the 5am call times were brutal. Space, well they aren't so compact but comfort? They rock!

MYater 06-10-2014 03:07 AM

As it has been said, everybody's tastes are different, but after reading this whole thread to here I see one major thing that I hope you are keeping in mind. "Other People"

I have several chairs I take camping every time;

1. A couple of the zero gas gravity chairs I picked up at target a decade ago which stay by my trailer and are great for napping and reading.

2. The collapsible folding chairs that I picked up a dozen years at the "Sportsmans warehouse" booth at an outdoors show for seven dollars a piece, and the their replacements.

Since I am mean and don't share the zero gravity chairs nobody but my wife and I use them and they are in great condition.

The seven dollar chairs however end up being drug all over every camp I go to even when I am monitoring them. The plastic feet on them get broken from people tipping back, dragging them astounds versus carrying, and using them I'll incorrectly, which makes me the bad guy again for not letting them try to destroy my stuff, but as soon as it turn my back back.... Embers from camp fires tend to do a number on them even when you are trying to keep them safe.

Moral of the story, take a couple of the $10ish dollar chairs as well. You'll hate to get a fire ember or tipped over chair by someone else on you new chair whatever it may be.

rbs 06-10-2014 06:14 AM

camp chair

Alps Mountaineering Camp Chair has worked very well for us, the best built, sturdiest and most comfortable chair that I have found. We have used these for going on 4 years, they go everywhere with us and get a lot of use, and looks like they could last forever.

Roadtech 06-10-2014 11:05 AM

I can't stand to have a chair support rod across my back or legs, so I look for a chair design that doesn't have a rod that will contact my back or legs. That's one thing I like about the Kermit Chair design, the support rods are curved so they don't make contact with your back or legs.

robert claus 06-10-2014 11:18 AM

chair choice

1 Attachment(s)
I also have the Coleman chairs with side tables - very happy and a great value. Also - silver!

PharmGeek 06-10-2014 11:55 AM

Good point MYater - i have a couple cheap umbrella types that I use now in a pinch but they will no doubt not last more than another year or two - beyond that I would like to get a few replacements that are fairly compact and stout to take abuse

But chair I want now is "my chair" :)

m.hony 06-14-2014 07:24 AM

Sitting hear in my Zip Dee chair thinking, "I really like this chair. I should buy a couple of those cup holders that attach to the arm."

tvketchum 06-16-2014 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PharmGeek (Post 1466281)
...I am just 150 lbs, wife is light as well (I wont risk posting a weigh here).

For future reference, your wife's weight is "ample" and her age is "mature".......

m.hony 06-16-2014 06:44 PM

And don't announce her age on one of those radio station birthday announcements...
Someone set me up...
I didn't do it...

PharmGeek 06-16-2014 07:01 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Lol - I got this in mail - more photos and review of it to come - first impressions are good but I'll sit in it tonight for a while and see what I thinkAttachment 214330
Attachment 214331

Don't give me crap about the photo - crappy haircut I got recently by a person that has never cut my hair - why did I not act on that voice that said "run away!"

Also my initial impression was I needed a bit of back support for max comfort - my back often gets tense these days I think because my terrible office posture - I used the head pillow think on my lower back and it was seeming wonderful - more later -

Also a couple shots if it stored in truck - one sitting alone and another with other beach chairs stacked - I think it should prove acceptable from a space perspective - they are quite wide - wish it was a bit more narrow

Attachment 214332
Attachment 214333

PharmGeek 06-16-2014 07:04 PM

I need to go measure and see if two fit in truck side by side as well

m.hony 06-16-2014 07:16 PM

That's a really big chair.
I need a tonneau cover so stuff like that can ride in the truck.
I'll wait on the tonneau. I bought Rock Tamers today...

PharmGeek 06-16-2014 07:17 PM

I have the roll n lock that came with my truck when bought - love it

m.hony 06-16-2014 07:20 PM

That makes that truck an even better bargain. That tonneau might be $1,200 or more.

lcurrie 06-16-2014 10:00 PM

This is my favorite chair, hands down. It's heavy and a pain to load and unload, but I wouldn't trade sitting in it for the lightest chairs on Earth.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-...olors/22138808

Lynn

PharmGeek 06-16-2014 10:42 PM

Well - after sitting in this for a while - I am less enthused - it has no support for lower back - I used a small pillow under my lower back and that helped bit after a while sitting watching a movie - i felt uncomfortable

Without attempting some form of back support - it is for me quickly uncomfortable

I am going to try sitting in it more but I'm pretty sure it is going to be returned

PharmGeek 06-16-2014 10:45 PM

Also - even though it does not have a cross bar that pushes on your legs - the fabric across that area creates some similar feeling - I propped my feet on a chair and that felt better but something just does not feel right how it distributes weight - my tommy Bahama beach chairs are more comfortable

m.hony 06-17-2014 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcurrie (Post 1470354)
This is my favorite chair, hands down. It's heavy and a pain to load and unload, but I wouldn't trade sitting in it for the lightest chairs on Earth.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-...olors/22138808

Lynn

I see the tan ones at our local Walmart...

Pagey 06-17-2014 07:21 AM

We have two Lafuma zero-gravity recliners from Relax the Back. Quite comfy. Right now, they are in our living room since we have sold almost all of our regular furniture.

We also have two GCI Pico compact folding camp chairs that just arrived yesterday. Learned about them from Bab at Aluminalina in March. Had them customized with our names so that we can keep track of them at rallies.;)

Guess we will get the Zip Dees when we buy our trailer, but the 2015 Classic doesn't look like it has storage for them alongside the couch. If not, we will stow them in our "too big" truck!:D

m.hony 06-17-2014 08:09 AM

The Panoramic rear window in the 2015 Classic is cool, but you lose some wardrobe space.
That rolling shed will take up the slack.
The bathroom medicine cabinet in the 2015 doesn't have as much storage in the 2015.
The 2015 doesn't have the "credenza" behind the dinette, either.
I can't wait to walk through a 2015 in person.
My, that cat in your avatar has some big ears!

PharmGeek 06-17-2014 08:12 AM

I'll be reconsidering lafuma and other brand zero gravity types

I want to find a way to sit in some zip dees - maybe they have a few at camping world - just have to find time to get there and look as it is a bit out if my way during my busy work week

m.hony 06-17-2014 08:16 AM

Go to an Airstream dealer to sit in Zip Dees...
Sit in a Zip Dee at a rally...
If we are ever at the same rally again you are welcome to sit in one of my Zip Dees.
There are similar looking chairs with wooden arms for sale many places.
I need to see about those cup holders...

Pagey 06-17-2014 08:54 AM

We really like our Lafumas. Worth the money in our opinion.

Our first chance to actually "walk" the new Classic won't be until next January at the Florida RV super show. It be then when we decide whether to go with the 2015 or start searching for an older 31.

Mercedes is the kitten in my avatar. She is now 11 years old.

Sent from my HTCONE using Airstream Forums mobile app

cptfish 06-17-2014 11:42 AM

After seeing the Lafuma Cham'Elips chair at a friends AS camp we decided to get our own. At 6 lb 6 oz they are the lightest you can find. They have a 5 position reclining ergonomic S shaped back. We also got the mini fold up stools to put at our feet when we recline since we are replacing our zero gravity chairs with this combo. Thought we could use the stools in our trailer for last minute seating or to put our feet up. The chairs and the Lafuma PH camp stool are from lots of places but we found the best price at backcountry.com. Also bought a couple storage bags at Camping World. We will miss our zero gravity sometimes but decided to pare down and lighten our load.

desertair27 06-17-2014 11:48 AM

I love my ZipDee chairs! I even bought a couple extra to use in the backyard.

PharmGeek 06-17-2014 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cptfish (Post 1470549)
After seeing the Lafuma Cham'Elips chair at a friends AS camp we decided to get our own. At 6 lb 6 oz they are the lightest you can find. They have a 5 position reclining ergonomic S shaped back. We also got the mini fold up stools to put at our feet when we recline since we are replacing our zero gravity chairs with this combo. Thought we could use the stools in our trailer for last minute seating or to put our feet up. The chairs and the Lafuma PH camp stool are from lots of places but we found the best price at backcountry.com. Also bought a couple storage bags at Camping World. We will miss our zero gravity sometimes but decided to pare down and lighten our load.

Oh now this is good feedback as I liked this chair (in theory). - my beach chairs are similar but not ergonomic and this no back support - could you confirm that these do support back pretty well? Looking at them it seems they do

When I lounge in my beach chairs I too find something to prop my feet

This chair is high on my list - any other feedback about this chair appreciated - so little about it on the net

Would you say your cham elipse with stool setup rivals the comfort of the zero gravity? I have the real estate for the zero gravity chairs but not sure I want to pull that trigger IF I can find something ball park as comfy

PharmGeek 06-17-2014 12:01 PM

Also sizes? "Standard" vs "one size " for the cham elips?

m.hony 06-17-2014 12:03 PM

I love my Zip Dee chairs, bit no cup holder...
There is no cup holder available- at least not through Zip Dee-
If a cup holder were on it, the chair wouldn't fold up and fit into its little cabinet in the trailer.
I guess I need some other type of chair and a tonneau cover- I like the Coleman ones with the tray on the side. I like those big reclining lounge chairs, too. It is so easy to take a nap in one of those.

Woosch 06-17-2014 12:50 PM

We have built up quite the collection of chairs over the last few years. Always seems like we try someone else's favorite and wind up getting that chair. Our latest is the folding chair at Costco by Timber Ridge. Has a nice foldout table which is convenient and the chair itself is pretty comfortable.

cptfish 06-17-2014 01:37 PM

We have only used them once as we just got them. They are definitely ergonomic with a curve built in the back for lumbar support and are very light. I don't think they are a total replacement for the zero gravity chair cuz your feet are not raised up as high, but they are very well made and light and great for a high back chair. We find the zero gravity not as easy to pull up to a table either as are these chairs. Our friend who has them has also bought two of the Lafuma zero gravity chairs and carries all four chairs with him. Our budget only went for the two high back chairs which we thought were multi- purpose.

PharmGeek 06-17-2014 03:50 PM

cptfish...I assume you bought the standard size as that is all that the website you mention sells...and these are without a headrest...they also sell an XL model slightly larger (1 inch larger in all respects it seems) that comes with a headrest....but for 25 more bucks that just burned me....how is your chair without the neck support...there is a little foam head neck support on our beach chairs and it makes the world of difference....XL would allow a bit more leeway for heavier folks sitting in it I suppose....but if standard without headrest is great for you maybe I will forgo the headrest and avoid that extra cost if I try out a set of these.

Landrum 06-17-2014 04:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I love the look of the ZD chairs, but we really like cup holders. Maybe we are crazy, but we think these are really comfortable. They cost a whopping $16 at target (or a set of 2 for $25).

Attachment 214408

cptfish 06-17-2014 06:14 PM

No you aren't crazy or else we are too! We have similar chairs to yours with cup holders that we use for river rafting and car camping. I like the other Lafuma chairs for high back support and leaning back for a snooze. I don't know about paying $25 more for the neck support that Pharmageek talked about. We will be breaking in the chairs in two weeks so I'll have a better idea but suspect that no pillow is necessary especially for $25 more! We have multiple chairs as do many of you and these will be our nice ones for AS adventures,

PharmGeek 06-17-2014 06:27 PM

I love your Ph camp stool idea too - dual function :)

I'm about to order from amazon and see how I like these chairs - they must pass my "feel comfy through a movie test"

PharmGeek 06-17-2014 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landrum (Post 1470658)
I love the look of the ZD chairs, but we really like cup holders. Maybe we are crazy, but we think these are really comfortable. They cost a whopping $16 at target (or a set of 2 for $25).

Attachment 214408

I find these comfy for less than 30 min or if I'll be up and down a lot - beyond that my back is bad for getting tense - I have to put pillows behind my back at home or I wake up at night with terrible tightness in my back - my poor posture at work is beginning to take it's toll

Landrum 06-17-2014 08:35 PM

Right.....I should have mentioned. With three small kids I would consider it a great day to get 30 consecutive minutes in a chair.

PharmGeek 06-17-2014 09:47 PM

My 2 kids at this point nap for 1-2 hours mid day and both crash by 830 leaving mom and dad some time to kick back and lounge :)

That will change over time I'm sure

PharmGeek 06-18-2014 03:23 PM

cptfish....

I ordered two of the lafuma cham elips chairs in XL with headrest...besides my wanting the headrest that matches, the higher weight capacity I like too...standard size is 260lbs, which is ballpark my father in laws and a few other folks' weights I know and so added strength in case they decide to try out my chair is good...and it was 20 bucks more chair for the added size and head rest so not "terrible" (such is my rationalization. Ordered in color "obsidian" and ordered two of the matching camp stools you mentioned for 18 bucks a pop...had 60 bucks in amazon points as well to knock off my final price tag making it a bit more tolerable...they arrive in the mail this week....hopefully I like....

The stools are brilliant as I can use them as foot rests, side table, or as extra quick seating in a pinch as I camp with some siblings and friends here and there.

If I dont like these then I am not sure what I will try...but I have found enough reviews on these chairs that I am pretty sure they are very comfy. and only 6 lbs...not too bad...not terrible small - do not fold up as compact as the zip dees, but that will not be a prob for me at this point...at least these are very light.