Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Solo Streamers (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f508/)
-   -   Struggling ------ (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f508/struggling-119895.html)

DJBstream 05-17-2014 07:12 AM

Struggling ------

This morning I am struggling with the concept of RV ownership and modern camping. I am at a KOA campground in WV. The image of having some solitary time is shattered. I thought the sites would be spaced to afford each camper some privacy solitude. In fact, we are packed in so tight we may as well be parked at a dealership. There is less than 20 between sites with no brush between sites, so there is zero privacy.. I opted for no fire last night as it was so close to the person next to me I saw no point.

On one hand I can understand places like this for families trying to get away. They have a pool, volleyball, basket ball, horseshoes, and other amenities. But why pack them in so tight?
This seems to be the standard for RV camping on the east coast. A far cry from the iconic images of the independent American out on their own.

Are there more secluded and private rv camp sites out there? I am starting to think this isn't for me

polarlyse 05-17-2014 07:23 AM

Packed in ???? What reason ???? $$$$$$$$$$$$ There is only one. Rest assured that there are great sites around you just have to find them. State / National parks are a place to start.

murreywalker 05-17-2014 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJBstream (Post 1456342)
This morning I am struggling with the concept of RV ownership and modern camping. I am at a KOA campground in WV. The image of having some solitary time is shattered. I thought the sites would be spaced to afford each camper some privacy solitude. In fact, we are packed in so tight we may as well be parked at a dealership. There is less than 20 between sites with no brush between sites, so there is zero privacy.. I opted for no fire last night as it was so close to the person next to me I saw no point.

On one hand I can understand places like this for families trying to get away. They have a pool, volleyball, basket ball, horseshoes, and other amenities. But why pack them in so tight?
This seems to be the standard for RV camping on the east coast. A far cry from the iconic images of the independent American out on their own.

Are there more secluded and private rv camp sites out there? I am starting to think this isn't for me

You just picked the wrong place to stay.

Google Pipestem Resort State Park. Go there, and see what a good campground is all about.

There's a wealth of camping opportunities around you. Do a little research, and you'll be okay!

Good luck!

Janie Q 05-17-2014 07:30 AM

We mainly camp at State Parks, as we like trees, hiking and nature.
There are many great folks on the forum that will give you some wonderful places to camp in your area. Trust me when I say there are more choices out there than you think.
There are many apps for your iPhone/iPad that you can download that help greatly.
Jane

jcanavera 05-17-2014 07:33 AM

Struggling ------

There are better places for sure. Not all KOA's are packed as tight as you are. It's really a matter of research and talking to folks. I remember going down to Destin Fl to an unseen campground where you could camp next to the beach. When we got there we realized that they packed you in so tight, that your awning was almost touching the trailer next to you. We left and found a new campground. Not on the beach but much, much better. Same thing happened in Myrtle Beach S.C.

So ask other folks and also ask the campground. You will find lots of great places to stay, without having feel like you are on a parking lot.

Jack

Ahab 05-17-2014 07:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
There are probably a thousand spacious campgrounds for every crowded one. We have even found KOA's with lots of room. Like others have mentioned here, State campgrounds tend to be more spacious like this one.;)

jpons 05-17-2014 07:52 AM

My experience with KOA campgrounds is exactly this one and the reason I avoid them like the plague. I very much look for space and privacy when camping so I do quite a bit of research of each campground before I book a site. If you spend a little time looking you can find some great campgrounds even in the north east which is notorious for tight campgrounds.

State parks, national parks and national forest campgrounds typically provide sites with space and privacy, but if you spent the time doing your research there are plenty of private campgrounds that offer the same.

-J

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJBstream (Post 1456342)

Protagonist 05-17-2014 08:24 AM

In my opinion, KOA is good for one thing only; it's a place to stop overnight while en route to someplace better but farther away.

The last time I stayed at a KOA, we were so close together that my next-door-neighbor's sewer connection was under my awning. Literally. When they pulled in, I actually had to roll back a corner of my 913 my patio mat for them to hook up their slinky.

It beats boondocking in a Walmart parking lot. But not by much.

However, I still keep a KOA card in my wallet, so I can get discounts at the Route66 store here in town. While it doesn't have the biggest selection, it's only 2 miles from home, unlike Camping World which is 35 miles away.

Skooter 05-17-2014 08:47 AM

Be prepared to do without hookups for a night or three. When you free yourself from external power and water, your camping life will open up to those national park areas that don't have hookups. For us it's a small price to pay. Solitude is priceless.

TinTin 05-17-2014 08:52 AM

As mentioned above, a lot of the best campgrounds (state and provincial parks, national parks) lack power and water. The price/night for unserviced sites is lower, leading to quick payback for investments in energy self-sufficiency (solar).

Rocinante 05-17-2014 09:40 AM

You might also want to get a campground guide or two and keep them close so you can check the reviews. There are apps for your iPad and there are books from Good Sam (Camping World) and Woodall's (any AAA office will sell them really cheap to members). Check the reviews and maybe even look online before picking a campground, especially if you're there for more than an overnight respite on the way to somewhere else.

Agree that there are nice KOA facilities out there. As a kid I loathed KOA for tent camping, but since we got into RV camping we've camped at a couple of nice once, though I always look them over carefully before booking. In fact, in their own guide, they are starting to differentiate between road house places that are a step above the Wal Mart vs. destination resorts, and there are usually plenty of pictures. You may still wind up in the occasional surprise cramp-ground, but it will happen less often.

If you crave the the wilder spaces with almost nobody around, you may want to look into boondocking, as others have suggested.

That kind of homework will maximize the chances of landing at a campground you'll like and ensure you have a lot more fun in your travels.

All the best and happy camping,
Bill

dkrug 05-17-2014 10:22 AM

This has always been my complaint. We live in the country and I am not used to neighbors. We usually opt for State of National campgrounds.

m.hony 05-17-2014 11:26 AM

10 Attachment(s)
State parks and Corps of Engineers parks are spacious.
Attachment 212094Attachment 212095Attachment 212096Attachment 212097Attachment 212098Attachment 212099Attachment 212100Attachment 212101Attachment 212102Attachment 212103

Stefrobrts 05-17-2014 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Protagonist (Post 1456375)
In my opinion, KOA is good for one thing only; it's a place to stop overnight while en route to someplace better but farther away.

Yes, and I think in 11 years of camping, we've only stayed at a KOA once - an overnight stop where we barely unhooked the trailer and just needed a place to feel safe for the night.

I don't consider 'parking lot' parks to be a destination, just a place to spend the night along the way. And as mentioned above, often the roomiest and most peaceful places won't have hookups, but we're fine for a few days unhooked, so that's ok.