Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164/)
-   -   Broken Rear Window (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164/broken-rear-window-119797.html)

Travelvet 05-14-2014 12:30 PM

Broken Rear Window

Hi all....
I have a 2012 27' FB Classic. My middle rear window (the flat one, NOT one of the rounded ones thankfully) was shattered by an errant rock thanks to a weed whacker. I have ordered the replacement window from Airstream but am looking for advice on replacement. My preference would have been just to haul in to our nearest dealer so they could do it, but they're booked 3 weeks out for service and we're planning to go camping next weekend. The gentleman with Airstream made it sounds rather easy to actually put the window in, but I'm skeptical and would prefer to have it done right. Has anyone tackled this? Any tips? Would I be better off having someone with auto glass repair experience do it for me? Any advice is greatly appreciated.....
Thank you!

overlander63 05-14-2014 12:58 PM

Airstream Life has an article that outlines removing and replacing those windows.

HowieE 05-14-2014 01:20 PM

If you ordered glass and frame it should be a straight forward job.

If you are just replacing the glass in the old frame that is a different issue.

I replaced my glass with a piece of Plexy. The problem is getting the frame apart. The 2 aluminum sections are connected with a met insert that, in my case had galled to the aluminum and I had to make a jacking device to separate the sections.

overlander63 05-14-2014 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HowieE (Post 1455335)
If you ordered glass and frame it should be a straight forward job.

If you are just replacing the glass in the old frame that is a different issue.

I replaced my glass with a piece of Plexy. The problem is getting the frame apart. The 2 aluminum sections are connected with a met insert that, in my case had galled to the aluminum and I had to make a jacking device to separate the sections.

There is no sash, only a hinge and the two arms.

Inland RV Center, In 05-18-2014 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelvet (Post 1455316)
Hi all....
I have a 2012 27' FB Classic. My middle rear window (the flat one, NOT one of the rounded ones thankfully) was shattered by an errant rock thanks to a weed whacker. I have ordered the replacement window from Airstream but am looking for advice on replacement. My preference would have been just to haul in to our nearest dealer so they could do it, but they're booked 3 weeks out for service and we're planning to go camping next weekend. The gentleman with Airstream made it sounds rather easy to actually put the window in, but I'm skeptical and would prefer to have it done right. Has anyone tackled this? Any tips? Would I be better off having someone with auto glass repair experience do it for me? Any advice is greatly appreciated.....
Thank you!

Replacing the flat rear window, takes less than 5 minutes.

Is easier than a "piece of cake".

Andy