Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Airstream Lifestyle (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483/)
-   -   Scam or am I paranoid? (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483/scam-or-am-i-paranoid-119008.html)

Sprouty 04-25-2014 08:18 PM

Scam or am I paranoid?

1 Attachment(s)
I received this text today about a trailer I have listed. It felt creepy so I told them cash only in person.

Janie Q 04-25-2014 08:22 PM

Scam!

azflycaster 04-25-2014 08:23 PM

There are a lot of PayPal scams, I would not be comfortable doing this.

RAH 04-25-2014 08:25 PM

scam

jbib 04-25-2014 08:26 PM

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you

Its a scam but you might as well have some fun stringing them along.

Jeff

Condoluminum 04-25-2014 08:29 PM

I'd agree.. Paypal has a "buyer protection" feature that allows a buyer to reverse transaction in some cases if they change their mind.. Also, Paypal linked to credit card (on buyer side) could be linked to stolen or fraudulent credit card, and bank will come after you as well if that transaction needs to be unwound...

Also be very wary of "Cashier's Checks" as they are pretty easy to fabricate these days, and it could take up to 3+ weeks for a bad check to come back around and be reversed.. If you deposit a phony Cashier's Check, you are liable to replace funds even weeks later, and might even pick up liability for check fraud yourself as a bonus... My suggestion would be to take to the "Issuing Bank" for cash before assuming check is good...

northfayston 04-25-2014 08:39 PM

Scam or not

Sounds like an email I got for furniture I advertised on Craigs List. I never heard from the people after I said cash and in person. Let us know what happens.

moosetags 04-25-2014 08:43 PM

I agree with the others. It sounds really fishy to me.

Brian

Isuzusweet 04-25-2014 08:57 PM

Any time you get an e-mail agreeing to full purchase price, with lots of grammatical, spelling and syntax errors and it's going to involve a shipper…………..run, don't walk.

3 Dog Nite 04-25-2014 09:29 PM

I have a paypal account. You would send them a bill to their paypal account. This is how normal transactions take place. This way you can get them for nonpayment. Unfortunately, You lose a percentage of price due to paypal fees. Ask them for their account info when you're done playing and want them to go away.

andreasduess 04-25-2014 09:36 PM

Scam. Walk away.

pappy19 04-25-2014 10:24 PM

Absolute scam all the way. I'd bet if you talked to them in person, they are foreigners probably from Nigeria. Don't give them any information at all.

64Lincoln 04-26-2014 12:27 AM

Clearly you know this is a scam by now, but for anyone else reading this, never take a cashiers check. It is not the same as cash. It is the same as a check. It can bounce, be forged, have a stop payment placed on it, and it can be reversed. The only thing a cashiers check is good for is if you lose it, you can have stop payment done and get it replaced. That is if you are dealing with someone who you would take a personal check from. If you are dealing with someone you wouldn't take a personal check from you shouldn't take a cashiers check either. They are not much different.

Cash is king!

Furthermore, if someone gives you a check and you go to their bank, get cash and nothing else. If the check you tender them ends up bouncing or being reversed, they will do the same with the check they issued you.

Protagonist 04-26-2014 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 64Lincoln (Post 1447642)
Clearly you know this is a scam by now, but for anyone else reading this, never take a cashiers check.

Cash is king!

If you have to send or receive payment long-distance, cash is not an option, but wiring the money via Western Union is. That's still the safest way to send money without using a bonded courier to hand-carry it.