Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f287/)
-   -   Is it ok to run fridge on propane while towing ? (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f287/is-it-ok-to-run-fridge-on-propane-while-towing-118593.html)

steve.thomps 04-16-2014 11:48 AM

Is it ok to run fridge on propane while towing ?

idroba 04-16-2014 11:55 AM

You may wish to do a search of the Air Forums on the topic. It has been covered many times.

In brief, most find it to be not an issue for them, some however are violently opposed to the idea. You will not find a common ground between the two sides.

I am with the majority, and tow with my refrigerator on propane, and have for 35 years of my RV experience.

But then I live dangerously, and have an Andersen hitch (ducks, and grins).

DKB_SATX 04-16-2014 11:56 AM

This is a bit of a religious issue for some.

Personally, I always run the fridge on propane when towing. It's too hot in TX for much of the year for it to stay cold otherwise unless it's a very short trip. If I'm pulling up in a gas station such that the trailer will be near a pump, I shut off the flame while fueling.

steve.thomps 04-16-2014 11:56 AM

Cool (pun intended). Many thanks...and I'll check out the other postings.

pmclemore 04-19-2014 01:11 PM

I always do.

Pat

Inland RV Center, In 04-19-2014 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve.thomps (Post 1443035)

Thats been done ever since the fridges have been able to run on LPG.

So that's at least 6 decades.

That is also how the trailer was designed.

Andy

Mike Leary 04-19-2014 01:23 PM

We do, and I agree with shutting it down when fueling.

Antique Pedaler 04-19-2014 02:35 PM

I just put the fridge on auto when heading south for the winter and turn it off when we get home in the spring, period.

wahoonc 04-19-2014 03:34 PM

Sometimes...

Aaron:cool:

Jack46 04-19-2014 04:01 PM

We always travel with the fridge running.

RickDavis 04-19-2014 04:24 PM

I have been doing it for over 40 years. I have yet to blow up a gas station and also have not gotten food poisoning since my food is cool.

wahoonc 04-19-2014 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickDavis (Post 1444570)
I have been doing it for over 40 years. I have yet to blow up a gas station and also have not gotten food poisoning since my food is cool.

I am not worried about me blowing up the gas station... just the idiot next to me that wanders away while the pump is running.

Aaron :cool:

JimGolden 04-19-2014 06:01 PM

Yes

Absolutely it is OK. If not, why have LPG refrigerators at all?

I tow with a diesel. I used to turn the 'fridge off when I refueled, but I've stopped doing that too. If you throw a match into a bucket of kerosene, it just burns. It doesn't explode.

If you tow with a gasser, you probably should turn the 'fridge off before you pull up to the pump, but there's a 99.9% chance it'd be just fine if you didn't.

See you on the road,

wahoonc 04-19-2014 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimGolden (Post 1444604)
Absolutely it is OK. If not, why have LPG refrigerators at all?

I tow with a diesel. I used to turn the 'fridge off when I refueled, but I've stopped doing that too. If you throw a match into a bucket of kerosene, it just burns. It doesn't explode.

If you tow with a gasser, you probably should turn the 'fridge off before you pull up to the pump, but there's a 99.9% chance it'd be just fine if you didn't.

See you on the road,

'cause battery powered wouldn't last too long? Not all of us camp where there are hookups. Prefer to get away from the crowds...

Aaron:cool:

sheriff1 04-19-2014 07:41 PM

Always! But then again I run the heater going down the road in cold weather as we'll....

Inland RV Center, In 04-19-2014 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheriff1 (Post 1444634)
Always! But then again I run the heater going down the road in cold weather as we'll....

Well done.

Learning how to use an Airstream, is very important.

Some owners have learned, as you have, so that you can enjoy all it offers.:cool:

Others still try to invent the wheel.:sad:

Oh well, to each his own.

And so it is.

Andy

BAB 04-19-2014 08:35 PM

I tow with a diesel as well, but I believe that there is a circuit set up in the Dometic so that when you are on propane and 12V (e.g. towing), and you shut down your engine (no power being seen from your car on the 7 pin), there's an automatic time delay for restart on the fridge....specifically to allow people to refuel without having to go in and manually shut off their fridge. Pretty sure this is in my Domectic owners manual.

m.hony 04-19-2014 09:31 PM

Depends on if there are groceries in there. Tomorrow- yes, I will be traveling with the refrigerator on. I turned it on yesterday hooked up to shore power in the driveway to let it get to the proper temperature. I turned the gas on just now so I won't forget tomorrow when we drive away.

steverino 04-19-2014 09:36 PM

And you can be sure, if there was the slightest risk of danger while towing with the refrigerator in LP mode, that the refrigerator manufacturer's and Airstream's lawyers would have big red caution placards plastered in the rig and in the manuals....

J. Morgan 04-19-2014 09:51 PM

I have visited and posted on lots of automotive related forums, I don't think I have ever seen one with so many opinionated people who are so sure that there is only one "proper" way to do things, and are so sure that so many things that are done everyday cannot be done.