Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164/)
-   -   Security bars for windows? (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164/security-bars-for-windows-118298.html)

Muskie 04-08-2014 08:24 PM

Security bars for windows?

Hi folks,
Just curious if anyone has fitted a bar-security system for their windows that can swivel off and on with locks. I will have a lot of expensive gear in my coach, and breaking-in through a window seems pretty easy. Perhaps if there is a bar or two across the windows, potential thieves may have second thoughts?
Any other security ideas are welcome, car alarms etc...
Just thinking ahead.
Cheers.
-Muskie

r carl 04-08-2014 08:26 PM

They will just go through the door.

Protagonist 04-08-2014 08:40 PM

Could try something like this…Harley Hauler, Construction, Enclosed Trailer Alarms Security Systems

truckasaurus 04-08-2014 09:16 PM

You can get locking hinge pins to stop them from just popping the pins and lifting the door off, that might help.

mefly2 04-08-2014 11:16 PM

Crow bar on the door ... inside in less than 10 seconds... and no breaking glass sound.

vinstream 04-09-2014 12:25 AM

I think a Pit Bull would do the trick....

idroba 04-09-2014 01:35 AM

An Airstream often says you have money, and things to take. Security bars say "I really really have money and things to take". As pointed out, a crowbar will get you in anyway, and will certainly mess up you trailer.

Security bars will not add much of any security to your things.

J. Morgan 04-09-2014 01:41 AM

To hell with the stuff in the trailer, I wouldn't trade my emergency escape route for stuff.

Stuff is what property insurance is for,

RickDavis 04-09-2014 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J. Morgan (Post 1439918)
To hell with the stuff in the trailer, I wouldn't trade my emergency escape route for stuff.

Stuff is what property insurance is for,

You pay your insurance agent to worry about your stuff. Beyond reasonable precautions, if I have to spend all my time protecting my possessions then I don't own them, they own me.

moosetags 04-09-2014 06:59 AM

Having "burglar bars" on a travel trailer might actually draw more attention to your Airstream and scream out, "there's valuable stuff in here". You would also have an Airstream reminiscent of a prison bus. A sophisticated alarm system might be a better choice.

Brian

Protagonist 04-09-2014 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickDavis (Post 1439948)
You pay your insurance agent to worry about your stuff. Beyond reasonable precautions, if I have to spend all my time protecting my possessions then I don't own them, they own me.

My Airstream was burglarized the same night I brought it home. For the first month and a half that I owned it, it was sitting in a repair bay at the dealer, waiting for the insurance company to approve the work, and for a subcontractor to actually perform the repairs to the dashboard and install the new Kenwood unit.

As it happens, the subcontractor who installed the new Kenwood unit and fixed all of the wiring broken when the old unit was ripped out with a crowbar was an authorized Viper alarm system installer, so I had a Viper system installed at the same time. Not to protect the contents, but to protect the whole Airstream.

But I'll tell you a secret… In my life I've been burglarized. I've been mugged. I've lost stuff to tornados and hurricanes and floods. So trust me when I say this. While you will feel a sense of violation when your most prized possession is burglarized, eventually you will get over it. Even expensive stuff is still only stuff. You had a life before owning it, you'll have a life after you own it, and you'll have a life even if some slimebucket— or some act of God— takes your stuff away from you before you're ready to let go of it.

Simple fact of life, your Airstream is worth a whole lot more than whatever contents are inside of it. If you must pay extra to improve security, spend the money on protecting the Airstream itself, not the contents. You'll get more bang for the buck that way. So instead of making sure they can't break in, make sure they can't cart off the whole kit and caboodle.

And if you're one of the rare few whose contents are worth more than the Airstream itself, you really need to explain that to your insurance agent, and make sure the contents rider on your policy reflect that.

Muskie 04-09-2014 07:58 AM

Good stories and philosophies I can relate to. Yes the idea of bars does seem like a thief magnet. I think the dog idea is best. Have an old howler inside.
I will be having a music studio in there, so the contents are my lively hood, and that is my concern. Some vintage instruments etc.... I will have to not leave any master-tapes in there, as that would truly be a disaster to clients.

I think insurance is the best idea, and document all belongings. In dodgy areas, I would just sleep in there over night, and park it at a 24 hour walmart or something.

The dog is the best bet, chained, hungry and mangy!
Thanks folks.
I will look into insurance.
-Muskie

RickDavis 04-09-2014 08:09 AM

WE spend most of our time boondocking which may be why we have never had any problem in over 40 years of trailering. My discomfort level does go up around cities and I avoid them.

WE do carry both a Harbor Freight driveway alarm and a battery powered motion light.
Sometimes I will deploy one or both at night but it is more for wildlife.
The driveway alarm will detect a horse at 75 feet or so. I have also used a game camera but the night time results have been kind of disappointing.
All this stuff could be applied to security concerns if you wanted to.