Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   2009-2015 Flying Cloud (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516/)
-   -   Flying Cloud (28) with Bike Rack.... (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516/flying-cloud-28-with-bike-rack-117525.html)

Arcticfox 03-22-2014 01:30 PM

Flying Cloud (28) with Bike Rack....
 
Greetings:

I'm considering purchasing the Fiamma Bike Rack and having it installed on a 28' FC. That said, the main storage compartment for this trailer in on the rear also. As a result I'm concerned about the compartment door not opening all the way or the rack being so much in the way that is renders this compartment unusable.

Can anyone give me a little input into this as would really like to carry bikes but don't want to have this installed and then not be happy with it.

I watched the install video from Airstream and note they start the video using a unit with a back compartment, but actually don't install the rack on that unit.

Thanks in advance for your input

Cheers
Doug

Freq Flyer 03-24-2014 08:28 PM

Doug,

I currently have a 2012 Flying Cloud 20 with the rear compartment and the Fiamma Bike Rack. My compartment door is about 24" wide and maybe 16" high. You can open the door with bikes on the rack, or with the rack folded up and no bikes. When bikes are loaded, I find it is best to access the door from the right side of the trailer. The access is not as easy as it would be with no rack, but you can take things in and out without a great deal of trouble.

With the rack loaded with bikes, you do reduce the visibility of the brake and turn signal lights, and cannot see the license plate well enough to read it. That said, I haven't been stopped by highway patrol yet, and people do seem to see the turn and brake lights well enough.

I decided not to add a bike rack to the rear of the new 25 we have on order. We decided to carry a couple of folding bikes in the back of our Sequoia.

Good Luck

Arcticfox 03-24-2014 10:32 PM

Thanks Feq Flyer - Very valued input! I did not consider the licence plate or more important the signal lights.
Folding bikes might also be a better way for me to go as they don't cost much more than a rack (installed)

Thanks again

Doug

dkottum 03-24-2014 11:37 PM

Folding bikes take space somewhere and are mediocre bikes at best. We like our Fiamma rack a lot, easy to use and the bikes take no space. We can carry our mountain bikes or short wheelbase recumbents on it. Really easy to use, tail lights show well, haven't heard of the license plate causing any problem.

Arcticfox 03-25-2014 10:11 AM

Thanks for your thoughts on this Doug.... It seems everyday that goes by I have a different opinion on this.
That said, I do agree with your logic that even folding bikes will take up space someplace and in my case would be the box of my truck. So I guess at the end of the day, I just need to make a decision and stick to it....:bangin:

Thanks again

Cheers
Doug



Quote:

Originally Posted by dkottum (Post 1432851)
Folding bikes take space somewhere and are mediocre bikes at best. We like our Fiamma rack a lot, easy to use and the bikes take no space. We can carry our mountain bikes or short wheelbase recumbents on it. Really easy to use, tail lights show well, haven't heard of the license plate causing any problem.


mefly2 03-27-2014 09:31 AM

The low pressure area at the rear of the AS causes a l ot of dust and road debris to collect ... often right on the freshly oiled chain and other mechanicals of the bikes. Not the best place for any expensive bike. YMMV.

dkottum 03-27-2014 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mefly2 (Post 1433901)
The low pressure area at the rear of the AS causes a l ot of dust and road debris to collect ... often right on the freshly oiled chain and other mechanicals of the bikes. Not the best place for any expensive bike. YMMV.

Actually we completed a cross-country trip in November with our bikes on the Airstream rack. Bikes were not dirty at all.

SchuHouse 05-05-2014 05:05 AM

We ordered the '28 with the bike rack.
It's arrived at dealer and we pick it up in two weeks, I'll let you know how it works out

Arcticfox 05-05-2014 08:01 AM

Hi Schuhouse - We did the same and went with the 28' and the bike rack. We picked in up a couple weeks ago and the rack is a very well put together affair. I'm glad we went that route

SchuHouse 05-06-2014 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arcticfox (Post 1451715)
Hi Schuhouse - We did the same and went with the 28' and the bike rack. We picked in up a couple weeks ago and the rack is a very well put together affair. I'm glad we went that route

Excellent...
I am a little concerned that access to storage will be compromised, have you had any issues?

Jack46 05-06-2014 05:44 AM

We purchased a bike rack that mounts over the propane tanks. We've been very happy with it. Here's the link:

Arvika RV Bike Carriers at Racks For Cars - www.racksforcars.com

Arcticfox 05-06-2014 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchuHouse (Post 1452013)
Excellent...
I am a little concerned that access to storage will be compromised, have you had any issues?

So far I'm okay with the restriction one deals with having the bike rack. The door completely opens and it is a bit of a pain with bikes on. Without them on it's not much of an issue at all.

Arcticfox 05-06-2014 08:39 AM

In addition to the above - The restriction on the back compartment is really dependent to the size of items one puts in this compartment. In my case, I normally have "outdoor" type things (power cord, adapters, hoses, level blocks, chocks etc. So there is really nothing to big and having the rack there is not an issue.

Hope this helps

SchuHouse 05-06-2014 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arcticfox (Post 1452063)
In addition to the above - The restriction on the back compartment is really dependent to the size of items one puts in this compartment. In my case, I normally have "outdoor" type things (power cord, adapters, hoses, level blocks, chocks etc. So there is really nothing to big and having the rack there is not an issue.

Hope this helps

Perfect. Thanks. It's what I was betting on


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.