Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Classic Motorhomes (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311/)
-   -   Gear Vendors Overdrive (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311/gear-vendors-overdrive-115580.html)

jdalrymple 01-28-2014 12:48 PM

Gear Vendors Overdrive
 
We just acquired a 1991 350 LE.

It has 23K miles. When I found the blender canister and food processor attachments new in an unopened box we were hooked.

It was sitting stored in Texas at a private park we visited.

After a 400 mile drive home, I am interested in an overdrive. In the days this motorhome was built, 55 mph was the norm and the 4.56 rear end gearing was acceptable.

At today's speeds, I just wonder how long the 454 would last at 3400 rpm.

Does anyone have any experience with the Gear Vendors product?

I see a lot of comments on other forums that the advertised increase in MPG may be a bit overstated, but that is not really my primary objective.

I am mainly interested in getting the 454 engine a little breathing room at a high enough road speed to not be the guy in the motorhome clogging up traffic.

Thanks.


Regards,

JD

DKB_SATX 01-28-2014 12:51 PM

What gives, Jeff? Was the trailer not funky enough for Burning Man and you needed to get more seriously retro? ;)

jdalrymple 01-28-2014 01:31 PM

HA. We are having trouble deciding which to take.

I do believe my playa tuxedo would be particularly svelte attire exiting the 350 LE. With stainless martini stemware, of course.

The purchase was not really my idea. I blame Cindy. She says it spoke to her.

But, on the other hand, it seems that everyone has more than one Airstream anymore.


The American Aluminum Dream, right?


Regards,

JD

RickDavis 01-28-2014 03:25 PM

It's been a few years but I went through enough gear vendors units on my 99 Dodge to put me on a first name basis with the president of the company. The best one lasted a couple hundred miles, the worst a couple thousand.
While it was nice when it worked it was far from trouble free.
At 458,000 on the truck I decided I was tired of the hassle and was happy to sell the rebuildable carcass to a hot rodder that gear vendors reffered me to.

It wasn't a problem with my driving as I have over 1/2 a million miles on the stock NV4500 manual transmission and never wore out a clutch before a pilot bearing or something else would require service

Wayward 01-28-2014 04:09 PM

Are larger diameter tires an option on motorhomes?

Isuzusweet 01-28-2014 04:42 PM

I do know that Gear Vendors doesn't have the durability of the US Gear unit in my 310 TD, however US Gear cashed it in and doesn't produce any under/ over drives anymore, let alone parts for them.

Just by chance, what is your present transmission? 4sp or 5 sp?

jdalrymple 01-28-2014 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isuzusweet (Post 1409170)
I do know that Gear Vendors doesn't have the durability of the US Gear unit in my 310 TD, however US Gear cashed it in and doesn't produce any under/ over drives anymore, let alone parts for them.

Just by chance, what is your present transmission? 4sp or 5 sp?



That is the biggest problem, it is a three speed.

I have looked over the web searches fairly extensively, and these are first I have seen about durability issues. I hate to hear that.

Regards,

JD

RickDavis 01-28-2014 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickDavis (Post 1409134)
It's been a few years but I went through enough gear vendors units on my 99 Dodge to put me on a first name basis with the president of the company. The best one lasted a couple hundred miles, the worst a couple thousand.

I need to correct my previous statement.

It should have read the best lasted a couple hundred thousand miles

jdalrymple 01-28-2014 05:30 PM

A couple HUNDRED thousand miles is a very different scenario.


That seems quite reasonable. At least as long as I would expect the transmission it is bolted to might last.

Regards,

JD

Smartstream 01-28-2014 05:39 PM

I have read about Rick's problem with the Gear Vendors but I have had no problems in about 40,000 miles and I bought it used. It's a pretty simple unit that started out as Laycock and has been used for years by Volvo, Jaguar, MG, Triumph and numerous others. On my Isuzu diesel it cuts the rpm down to a comfortable level. It didn't do much for the mpg but it really helped with the top speed. The old 4.56 gears would top out at about 67 mph and with the Gear Vendors 75 plus is no problem. I don't drive that fast but 62 to 65 is very comfortable.

The only thing I don't really care for is the unit has angle cut gears and they recommend taking it out of overdrive while going down grades as it pushes on the wrong side of the gear. It is not a problem on a long down grade because you don't need to ride the brakes. It's the little up an down roads when you have to decide if it's worth it to be going in and out of over drive or not. The really nice thing is the extra gears are great uphill with the not so powerful Isuzu.:brows:

RickDavis 01-28-2014 06:07 PM

They strongly recommend you do not use gearing to decelerate. It also uses some kind of in oil type clutches. When I first got it they recommended using ATF. As troubles mounted they then went to the synthetic oil that Dodge and Chev were using in their manual transmissions at about $15. per qt and a 10,000 mile change interval.
I will say it never left me stranded but in one failure mode there was no reverse which makes one pretty careful on a 1000 mile trip home.
I also had problems with the solenoid dropping out which resulted in a hard downshift and several solenoid failures.
In fairness I should say that all this happened between probably 1997 and 2008 and the problems may well be worked out now.
It was my understanding that the Gear Vendors was based on an earlier design by Doug Nash.
I actually used it on 2 different trucks. On a 84 chev, diesel with 4.10 gears and no overdrive it was wonderful when it was working correctly.

On the 99 Dodge diesel which had overdrive already it was not as much difference. The RPM dropped but there was not a significant improvement in fuel economy.
The average user of course, would not be putting on the miles I was at that time and may well have a trouble free experience

Smartstream 01-28-2014 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickDavis (Post 1409215)
They strongly recommend you do not use gearing to decelerate. It also uses some kind of in oil type clutches. When I first got it they recommended using ATF. As troubles mounted they then went to the synthetic oil that Dodge and Chev were using in their manual transmissions at about $15. per qt and a 10,000 mile change interval.
I will say it never left me stranded but in one failure mode there was no reverse which makes one pretty careful on a 1000 mile trip home.
I also had problems with the solenoid dropping out which resulted in a hard downshift and several solenoid failures.
In fairness I should say that all this happened between probably 1997 and 2008 and the problems may well be worked out now.
It was my understanding that the Gear Vendors was based on an earlier design by Doug Nash.
I actually used it on 2 different trucks. On a 84 chev, diesel with 4.10 gears and no overdrive it was wonderful when it was working correctly.

On the 99 Dodge diesel which had overdrive already it was not as much difference. The RPM dropped but there was not a significant improvement in fuel economy.
The average user of course, would not be putting on the miles I was at that time and may well have a trouble free experience

Just for reference this is from the Gear Vendors site.

True OEM Quality
OEM means that new vehicles have come factory equipped with GEAR VENDORS as original equipment. When GEAR VENDORS first started producing the DeNormanville planetary overdrive in 1979 there were no American vehicles with overdrive. Only the import cars with manual transmissions had an overdrive gear. Through the years we have worked with Ford, GM, and Chrysler and our products have come factory on everything from one of Americas fastest production cars (GM's TwinTurbo Callaway Corvette) to Americas largest RV manufacturer (Fleetwood Motorhomes). In 1981 we won our first Best Engineered award from SEMA (the largest automotive aftermarket organization). GEAR VENDORS is without question the most awarded and recognized aftermarket transmission product

Laycock de Normanville was the name on the tag on the units before Gear Vendor bought them.

RickDavis 01-28-2014 06:41 PM

memory problem on my part. It may have been the U.S. Gear unit that was derived from the Doug Nash product

Smartstream 01-28-2014 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickDavis (Post 1409241)
memory problem on my part. It may have been the U.S. Gear unit that was derived from the Doug Nash product

We have all been there Rick. I have visited that place many more times than I like to admit.:sad:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.