Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   On The Road... (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/)
-   -   Govt. Shut Down (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/govt-shut-down-110800.html)

Melody Ranch 10-01-2013 02:04 PM

Govt. Shut Down

Interesting! My STATE PARK here in Texas asked me to pack it. Closing by order of the FEDS. STATE PARK is on a US Corps of Engineer lake. They apparently trump the State. What a crock! Don't get caught short with your camping plans this week...or month.

TBRich 10-01-2013 02:32 PM

Bummer. Recreation.gov is also shut down, so no reservations in national forest campgrounds are possible. It's unclear if campgrounds themselves are acutally shut down ... that may depend on whether they require reservations or if they are staffed ... We don't have any immediate plans to camp in a NF campground soon, but we have friends who are.

aluminitus 10-01-2013 02:33 PM

Not to get too political, but aren't the national and state parks, museums etc. the only government myrmidons that are actually producing a viable product and bringing in income through admission fees? Let's shut those down first.

dznf0g 10-01-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aluminitus (Post 1361620)
Not to get too political, but aren't the national and state parks, museums etc. the only government myrmidons that are actually producing a viable product and bringing in income through admission fees? Let's shut those down first.

YES, but closing these things is a way to get their political message to you in a way that they hope irritates you more than the larger issue, thus they win support.
BE SMART, think big.

Aage 10-01-2013 02:41 PM

Let's keep it to information regarding camp closures, and avoid sliding into another political discussion, OK?

We all know what happens to political threads... :D

nilesrob 10-01-2013 02:41 PM

We are sitting in the north rim (Grand Canyon) campground right now, got lucky because we came in yesterday, just under the wire. Everyone has to leave by Thursday morning regardless of your plans, and no one can get in to the park.

Tdcraw 10-01-2013 03:08 PM

In Oklahoma it is opening day if deer season. My hubby and friends are relocating to boon dock after being told to leave corp camping by 8. And since they have not seen the ranger betting there won't be a refund.

Stefrobrts 10-01-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tdcraw (Post 1361635)
In Oklahoma it is opening day if deer season. My hubby and friends are relocating to boon dock after being told to leave corp camping by 8. And since they have not seen the ranger betting there won't be a refund.

Well, if there's no one to give a refund, there shouldn't be anyone to check and see if they left :lol:

Phoenix 10-01-2013 03:40 PM

Anyone know if it's still OK to boondock on National Forest and BLM land, assuming the access roads aren't closed?

samb 10-01-2013 03:54 PM

Around here they close the offices, not the woods or open lands. I have no problem using the land for boondocking because it does, in fact, belong to all of us. It is mainly on the facilitities and developed areas they are enacting closures.

Hope this is not too political................
Sam

John&Vicki 10-01-2013 03:58 PM

Are bolt cutters political?

Poppy

AWCHIEF 10-01-2013 04:01 PM

Gulf Islands National Park in Ocean Springs,MS has locked the gates and current campers have 48 hours from this morning to pack up and pull out.

Protagonist 10-01-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birdmaestro (Post 1361653)
Are bolt cutters political?

Poppy

No more than jail is. The Federal Government may be shutting down, but local law enforcement can still arrest you for trespassing on Federal property (as well as vandalism for the lock you cut). Federal agencies that provide recreational areas have always relied on local law enforcement to arrest troublemakers, even when they were open.

perryg114 10-01-2013 04:05 PM

Try being furloughed and told to use your vacation till it is gone. It won't matter soon that some of the parks are closed because I won't have vacation to use them.

Perry