Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164/)
-   -   Astradome - did I order the wrong one? (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164/astradome-did-i-order-the-wrong-one-108967.html)

jessejane 08-26-2013 08:38 PM

Astradome - did I order the wrong one?

3 Attachment(s)
Hi guys. This may be a dumb question, but I'm a bit confused. I climbed up on top of the trailer and set the new astradome over the opening and without the lifters being up, it isn't flush with the roof of the trailer. Maybe it's supposed to be like this and I'm missing something? Is that where the gasket goes? I'm including a couple of pictures so that you can see what I mean. Also, can anyone link me to instructions for how to install this particular one? I got it from VTS and it didn't come with anything but the dome. Thanks in advance!

Attachment 194274

Attachment 194275

Attachment 194277

65CV 08-26-2013 08:46 PM

Hopefully, this link will help.

Inland RV Center, In 08-26-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessejane (Post 1346185)
Hi guys. This may be a dumb question, but I'm a bit confused. I climbed up on top of the trailer and set the new astradome over the opening and without the lifters being up, it isn't flush with the roof of the trailer. Maybe it's supposed to be like this and I'm missing something? Is that where the gasket goes? I'm including a couple of pictures so that you can see what I mean. Also, can anyone link me to instructions for how to install this particular one? I got it from VTS and it didn't come with anything but the dome. Thanks in advance!

Attachment 194274

Attachment 194275

Attachment 194277

Fiberglass Astrodomes let in a little light, but it's brown.

There are milk white and solar gary astrodomes, that let in white or a soft gray light.

No it's not supposed to rest on the roof.

Andy

jessejane 08-27-2013 07:00 PM

Thanks again for your help. I have another question. What size screws and nuts do I use to attach the dome? I pored over posts about astradome installation last night and found that different posters used different sizes. I hesitated at the hardware store today because the difference in sizes I had read of people using were really quite significant. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

jessejane 08-27-2013 07:59 PM

As it stands, the lift operators have a shred if the old dome still attached and it was riveted in place. I'm a bit puzzled because on the VTS site, it shows the dome screwed in place. Which do I use? Rivets or screws?

Inland RV Center, In 08-27-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessejane (Post 1346627)
As it stands, the lift operators have a shred if the old dome still attached and it was riveted in place. I'm a bit puzzled because on the VTS site, it shows the dome screwed in place. Which do I use? Rivets or screws?

Use "soft" all aluminum rivets, with the rivet head on the ecterior.

Then place a small bead of sealer on that rivet head to seal it.

Andy

jessejane 08-27-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In (Post 1346640)

Use "soft" all aluminum rivets, with the rivet head on the ecterior.

Then place a small bead of sealer on that rivet head to seal it.

Andy

Thank you! For once, I have everything on hand to do that. No trip to the hardware store needed!

jessejane 08-30-2013 03:13 PM

I'm trying to unstick the Ladeau lift operators. I tried wd40 first, but they're way beyond that. I soaked them in CLR overnight and it took off so much corrosion. They are looking SO much better, but the parts still won't move. The hinges seem absolutely stuck. Can anyone recommend anything else to try? I would really love to keep these original parts and avoid spending more money on the new ones. Thanks in advance! <3

jessejane 08-30-2013 03:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I started messing with the hinges and got one to start moving. When I tried with the second, I knocked the hinge off of the rest of the operator. Is there a way to reattach it or am I screwed? Here's a photo of what I mean.

Attachment 194565

Attachment 194566

jessejane 08-30-2013 05:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ugh. I took another lift if the other vent and the pieces had already come apart like this.

Attachment 194568

Is that something I can fix? I'm pretty stubborn, but I just need to know if it's time to give up and order new parts?