Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Airstream Trailer Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142/)
-   -   23D or 27FB (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142/23d-or-27fb-108354.html)

slimhawg 08-11-2013 08:30 PM

23D or 27FB

Hi All,

Trying to decide if there is $20K difference between the 23D and 27FB (International). Are there that many places you can take a 23 that you can't take a 27? TV is 2013 Tundra Crewmax with tow package. Thanks for your thoughts.

dkottum 08-11-2013 09:35 PM

First question, yes there is great difference in length/width, liquid storage capacities, tire/wheel/brake size, inside storage. The greatest interior space difference is in the size, configuration, and access of the bed. You could live in the 27 for long periods of time with comfort.

Second, the 27 is 5 feet longer, more less, and takes that much more space. As for maneuverability, that is more a function of the tow vehicle wheelbase; the trailer just follows.

doug

Scott J-24 08-11-2013 10:41 PM

Go for the 27FB and don't look back, you will love it. The Tundra is a great tow vehicle. We tow ours with a 2010 Tundra CrewMax with the 5.7 V8 and it pulls the 27 without effort. We haven't had any problems camping where size was the issue and that includes National, State, County, etc., campgrounds. I have heard many stories of buying small then trading it in for a longer model within a year or two. Go big and you won't regret it.

68Streamline 08-11-2013 11:59 PM

We have a 22' FC and we've been in a few campsites where our Airstream barely fits the site (around Los Angeles).

m.hony 08-12-2013 04:00 AM

Aw shucks. Go ahead and get a 30.

andreasduess 08-12-2013 04:54 AM

We accidentally bought a 34'' and, with three kids, love the space. I was really worried about access to provincial parks but not a problem so far.

jdalrymple 08-12-2013 05:37 AM

We have met al least 5 couples over the last years that started with a 23 and upgraded within 6 months of purchase to a 27.

That cute, cuddly little trailer runs out of space very quickly.

Regards,

JD

slimhawg 08-12-2013 05:46 AM

Thanks everyone.

Now we just have to decide on the '13 Serenity on the lot (one A/C) or order a '14 Signature (two A/Cs).

eheffa 08-14-2013 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slimhawg (Post 1339204)
Hi All,

Trying to decide if there is $20K difference between the 23D and 27FB (International). Are there that many places you can take a 23 that you can't take a 27? TV is 2013 Tundra Crewmax with tow package. Thanks for your thoughts.

Why not split the difference & go for the 25? As far as I'm concerned, it is a good compromise between space/usability & length/size.

There is also a big difference in the two plans. If you like to camp where the view is to the back, the FB models give you great access to the view. The 23D has you enjoying a nice view of the back of your truck.

-evan

dkottum 08-14-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eheffa (Post 1340353)
Why not split the difference & go for the 25? As far as I'm concerned, it is a good compromise between space/usability & length/size.

There is also a big difference in the two plans. If you like to camp where the view is to the back, the FB models give you great access to the view. The 23D has you enjoying a nice view of the back of your truck.

-evan

I completely agree on the usability of the 25' but not on the FB models. We took the 27 out of consideration because of the FB configuration, and bought our 25 front dinette.

During our 6 months a year travel, seldom do we camp with out truck parked in front of the trailer for long, but we do spend much time in RV resorts where units are parked back-to-back. We are looking out the front at the activity areas rather than viewing the back of someone else's camper, and them looking into our Airstream.

doug

mandolindave 08-14-2013 09:49 AM

I am sure that I have said this too many times.

A trailer always too big while towing and too small when camping.

eheffa 08-14-2013 10:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dkottum (Post 1340386)

I completely agree on the usability of the 25' but not on the FB models. We took the 27 out of consideration because of the FB configuration, and bought our 25 front dinette.

During our 6 months a year travel, seldom do we camp with out truck parked in front of the trailer for long, but we do spend much time in RV resorts where units are parked back-to-back. We are looking out the front at the activity areas rather than viewing the back of someone else's camper, and them looking into our Airstream.

doug

Ha! Different strokes I guess.

We tend to avoid RV parks & those back to back sites looking for more private sites; Provincial Parks/National Parks figure higher up our preference list. A site like this is just begging for the FB plan.

Attachment 193164

OTOH, if we are stuck in an RV park, I can see how looking out over the hitch could be an advantage.

It's good to know ahead of time where & what sort of 'camping' one will be using the A/S for... That makes it much easier to figure out which plan has the fewest compromises.

- evan

eheffa 08-14-2013 10:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Oops.

Wrong pic but same location.

Attachment 193165

- evan

IanPoulin 08-14-2013 10:18 AM

I would also argue that the sounds of stream or ocean would make it perfect to have the bedroom window in the back; alone. :)