Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/)
-   -   Sagging Headliner (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/sagging-headliner-102603.html)

bearcat 03-20-2013 02:19 PM

Sagging Headliner

My Bambi has sagging cloth headliners as many do. I am thinking about placing a 1"wideX1/8" thick strip of alumium across the top at regular intervals,from side to side, to hold up the headliner. I think these bows, being alumium would look good and fit the contour of the ceiling nicely...I do not want to cut or remove the headliner but put the strip directly over the cloth material and attach with metal screws with caps...I am worried about electrical wires and length of screws needed. Will screwing in the screw pull the cloth or should I cut small hole for screw to go thru..Any thoughts or reccomendations would be appreciated....

Ridgerunner3 03-20-2013 04:00 PM

I don't know the answer to your question. But I like your idea.

I have a vinyl headliner that has some sagging places. My future plan is to place finished oak strips similar to what you describe doing with aluminum.

SteveH 03-20-2013 05:35 PM

In a friend's trailer that is no longer with us (it was totaled in a wreck), the owner before him used those clear plastic flower looking things riveted to the ceiling in a geometrically symmetric pattern, and it looked good.

Sorry, I don't have a better explanation for those "clear plastic flower looking things".

bearcat 03-20-2013 06:10 PM

sagging headliner

I guess my other question would be could I use rivets? I also wonder if a cap is made for a rivet that covers the rivet along with the rivet hole making it alittle more eye appealing....I found that by pre-bending the aluminum rib, it will not take much to hold it secure. To me it really looks good up there and aluminum looks so natural.. The previous responder had a good idea with the wood grain to match the cabinets..The button screw method seems to be a matter of what one thinks looks best..I am not partial to the quilted look....

cwf 03-27-2013 10:47 PM

Well, you COULD run some metal strips lengthwise and rivet them to existing ribs... or screw into the ceiling backing material...

I once had a Chevy with falling headliner which I used thumbtacks to secure... worked fine...

bearcat 03-30-2013 08:50 AM

metal strips

That. is exactly what I have done only I ran the strips from side to side It looks so good I almost think I would like it this way reguardless if the sagging existed. I spaced them eighteen inches apart.I used half inch aluminum strips bought at lowes and used rivets..It looks natural and also corrects the problem...thanks for all the input

Bluto 03-30-2013 11:40 AM

bearcat,
If you find the time please post some pics of the finished product.
It sounds really nice.

bearcat 03-31-2013 04:48 PM

ceiling ribs for sagging ceiling material

1 Attachment(s)
ceiling.jpg First time I had put a pic on here so its a shot in the dark...

Bluto 03-31-2013 11:43 PM

Thanks for posting the picture. I'm sure that both the aluminum or oak would achieve the same goal and look good doing it. Very good solution to the problem. The way I see it, it sure beats the heck out of trying to strip that liner off the ceiling and recovering it.

cwf 04-01-2013 07:28 AM

Sharp! Well done! Let us know how it holds up !

flyslinger 06-30-2013 10:53 AM

The mouse fur in my 2003 International is sagging in several places and I am considering trying the aluminum or wooden strips but I am not sure how to attach them. Is there a inner layer of aluminum sheeting that you can screw into without damaging anything? If so, how long should the screws be?

bearcat 07-01-2013 06:13 PM

metal strips for sagging headliner

There is an aluminum shell under the mouse fur..Probably both rivets and screws would hold...I prefer rivets myself..When you drill the holes thru the aluminum skin just don't sink the drill bit in far. you can feel when it penetrates.

flyslinger 07-02-2013 12:38 PM

10-4 bearcat, thanks.

Chaplain Kent 07-12-2013 10:39 AM

I replaced the headliner in my trailer and used white vinyl vertical blind vanes purchased at my local big box. I purchased two types, one which allowed me to use an insert and one that was plain. I screwed the insert one to the roof and then put the plain vane into the insert to cover the screws. The vanes are 3 1/2 wide so will hold your sagging ceiling better than narrow strips, plus you will not see them.