Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Airstream "In the News" (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f224/)
-   -   THOR HQ moving (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f224/thor-hq-moving-101063.html)

Denis4x4 02-05-2013 11:00 AM

THOR HQ moving

January 11, 2013 2069
Thor to Move Corporate Headquarters to Elkhart, Indiana
by Thor Industries, Inc.

Thor Industries, Inc. (NYSE:THO) announced that it will move its corporate headquarters to Elkhart, Indiana, from its current location in Jackson Center, Ohio. The Company expects to complete the move in the spring of 2013.

"Given our commitment to the RV industry, we want to be more accessible and active in the community where a large majority of RVs are produced and where more than 70% of our operations are located," said Peter B. Orthwein, Thor Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. "With so many of Thor's operations located in Elkhart and neighboring LaGrange counties, it makes sense to have our corporate management and support services as close to as many of our operating subsidiaries as possible," he added.

As part of the move, Thor's corporate human resources, finance and accounting, legal and information technology departments, which have been located in Elkhart over the past few years, will move to the Company's new corporate office located on Beardsley Avenue along the St. Joseph River in downtown Elkhart. The new facility is scheduled to be completed and in operation this spring.

Bob Martin, Thor President and Chief Operating Officer, added, "I am very pleased that we will have our corporate headquarters in the community that my family and I, and so many members of our team, call home. This new location will not only bring Thor closer to many of our subsidiaries, but we will also be closer to most of our suppliers. When we think about how important relationships are to our business, it's clear that Elkhart is the right place for us to be."

Elkhart's Mayor Dick Moore added, "The Thor family of companies represent the nation's largest manufacturer of RVs and a major producer of buses and ambulances, and we're delighted to have them in Elkhart. Their presence in the downtown area will bring more investors and corporate activity to our economy, which is great for everyone."

AirHeadsRus 02-05-2013 12:01 PM

Bet you a dollar Airstream will be spun off before to long.

DanB 02-05-2013 02:33 PM

I'll take that bet.

Airstream is Thors best performing company.

Sucks for Jackson Center though.

HeadWest 02-05-2013 03:01 PM

I'm sorry to read this but it does make sense with most of their manufacturing located in Elkhart area.

Hopefully it won't be too much of loss for Jackson Center nor have a negative impact on Airstream.

Jim Flower 02-05-2013 03:18 PM

At first I thought that this was typical board room crap where nobody cares about the impact on the people building Airstreams. And then I thought, what a perfect situation for the people actually building Airstreams. No more suits to contend with. Just people who know what they're doing, doing it with out some dude peering over his shoulder. I think this is great for the community. All the stress leaving town. Watch the quality improve. Watch for happier families.

AirHeadsRus 02-05-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanB (Post 1257591)
I'll take that bet.

Airstream is Thors best performing company.

Sucks for Jackson Center though.

Your on! One of us can collect around the Alumapalooza 2014.
Joe

AWCHIEF 02-05-2013 03:46 PM

"doing it with out some dude peering over his shoulder"

Without someone looking over their shoulders quality control would we worse than many think it is now. Close oversight and supervision is key to building a quality product.

DKB_SATX 02-05-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AWCHIEF (Post 1257618)

Without someone looking over their shoulders quality control would we worse than many think it is now. Close oversight and supervision is key to building a quality product.

Demming taught that *leadership* is one of the keys to quality, which is not the same thing as supervision and obviates the need for "close oversight." It's a subtle difference but an important one, and just one of a short list of important aspects of quality improvement. More than one of them center around leadership, but there's also design improvement and paying more attention to quality than cost.

robert claus 02-05-2013 04:21 PM

It may also have something to do with lifestyle. Elkhart would offer the managers closer proximity to the IN & MI lakeshore communities, as well as South Bend & Chicago. Jackson Center really doesn't have much to offer.

Jim Flower 02-05-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AWCHIEF (Post 1257618)

I believe that ones self esteem and pride in performance are independent of close oversight and supervision. The key to building a quality product starts with leadership that insists on excellence in design followed by an assembly process that allows for workers to achieve superior performance. The audit of the results is obviously important and is particularly effective when negative variances are handled discretely but shared positively with other members of the process.

DanB 02-05-2013 08:09 PM

I have no idea how many Thor employed, but Jackson Center will immediately lose the income tax, local spending, and now vacant real estate. No good comes to a community when an employer leaves town.

Also consider the workers that choose or are not offered relocation. They basically just lost their jobs.

mefly2 02-05-2013 10:17 PM

Not enough info - speculative as to exactly what effect the move will have. Anyone on here from Jackson Center or a current Thor / AS employee ... would like to hear more directly.

dkottum 02-05-2013 10:37 PM

". . . without some dude peering over their shoulder."

I think Airstream President and CEO Bob Wheeler's office is on the mezzanine overlooking the production floor. I like that. And Thor's offices are across the street.

I wouldn't expect anything at production to change a bit, but as said previously, it could be felt by a few folks in tiny Jackson Center.

doug k

masseyfarm 02-05-2013 10:40 PM

Just be thankful the operation is not moving to CHINA.:brows:

Dave