Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2009, 09:07 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
First She Had to Take a Ride on a Boat | 1957

My Island Girl is now on the mainland after a ferry ride from Friday Harbor to Anacortes. She's a 1957 Caravanner, serial number O9153, and has spent the bulk of her life on Lopez Island and San Juan Island, likely at least the last 30 years. Looks like I'm her fourth owner.

I want to thank everyone on this forum for so many great threads full of such important information that has made my lurking able to take me from no knowledge to the point that I was pretty comfortable buying this old trailer. I'm sure glad I took new wheels and tires along!

We'll certainly know better when everything is out and the frame is visible, but I don't see much water damage, all the cabinets can be reused, original Zolatone is still nice, and the shell is practically dent free and straight. Lots of work with systems and holding tanks and everything else I've been reading about is ahead, but I think I've got a pretty decent base to work from.

This will be a slow project for me. My wife has Alzheimers and I'm her full time caregiver. When the weather is nice, I'll be able to do a little of both, but mostly I'll be limited to a couple of days a month when I have respite care to do any serious work on the trailer. That's OK, it's a long term project and that's what I need.

First up is some glass for the two frames without. My order is in with VTS for the rubbery bits and Tuesday I'll see about some glass. Safety glass in that front window?

As we rolled on the ferry, one of the crew came up and said, "Wow, I love your trailer!"

cheers,
steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010010.JPG
Views:	626
Size:	312.5 KB
ID:	75181   Click image for larger version

Name:	p1010012.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	369.2 KB
ID:	75182  

Name:	P1010013.JPG
Views:	791
Size:	346.7 KB
ID:	75183   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010024.JPG
Views:	688
Size:	368.9 KB
ID:	75184  

Name:	P1010017.JPG
Views:	769
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	75185   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010026.JPG
Views:	661
Size:	379.2 KB
ID:	75187  

pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Ahhh! Caravanners are such nice, airy party Airstreams. We'll be right over...

Please keep us filled in. Thanks for the photos -- karma your way!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:47 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
1964 24' Tradewind
1956 18' "Footer"
Southern , Minnesota
She is a beauty! Better buy a good supply of window cleaner. Love the amount of windows and the refer is very cool looking!

Congrats and have fun with it!!!

Steve "Dancin" Hansen
TAC MN-31

visit my almost yearly blog https://www.bluessafari.blogspot.com
GR8DANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:50 AM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Wink Great Looking Pull...

Steve,

Welcome aboard...What a great find for you. She looks good...and all that glass...

Keep up the postings.

Ciao,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:01 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
Love all those windows.....good luck on your restore...and welcome to the forums
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Island Girl is my all-time favorite Airstream model. I love the size, layout, and airy openness of the Caravanner. Lucky trailer to fall into your care; lucky you to find such a gem! Best wishes to you in your roles of caring for your wife and rejuvenating your Airstream. If we ever make it to the Northwest, perhaps we'll meet you at a campfire some day. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:10 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Great find

Wow, what a great find. 1957 Carvanner. Good luck on the restoration. You might what to put Plexiglas in the front window. It's a big target for road debris. Hope to see you on the road or at a rally.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:15 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome aboard!!

WOW...what a great looking trailer. The exterior is incredible, hard to believe considering the location.

You have found a real gem, good luck and keep posting.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:14 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Currently Looking...
Glenburn , Maine
Steve, that is a real beauty. I hope your Island Girl brings you many hours of pleasure as you restore her to the true beauty she is. I'm envious, no doubt.

wil

AIR 22828
TAC ME-3
Universal Address: 97XX5 QGG5Z
Longitude: -68.814136
Latitude: 44.894663
olddog299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Wow! That's a wonderful trailer. It'll give you even more strength for your wife.

As for the front window, I believe you can order safety glass for it.. I replaced my 3/8" thick glass with some safety glass that was either 1/8" or 5/8" thick... it wouldn't come any thinner. (my memory escapes me right now). You should be able to find a glass shop by you to order it in any size you want... I used Cascade Glass in Seattle if you're running out of luck, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't a supplier closer to you up north.

That trailer is in wonderful shape!
enjoy!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:30 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Steve what a great find!! The inside looks fine (from the pics), are you going to drop the belly pan to inspect the frame before you remove the interior? Good Luck!
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Thanks, everyone. I'm definitely excited about her.

I've been kicking around ideas on that front window. Most important thing, here in our rainy Pacific Northwet is to get something in there pretty soon. Like the thought of plexiglass for resisting rock damage, but I've lived with it a long time on our boat and sure hate the crazing. I'll probably see what's available in safety glass first.

Belly pan outwardly seems to be in good shape other than one bad spot by the door. I want this trailer to last another 52 years, so I'm sure I'll do the whole subfloor, but won't decide if it's shell off or not until I see what I have for a frame. I suppose I might cut the belly pan off, leaving a healthy lip so I can get it back on if I do the floor with the shell on.

Anybody got any ideas on the fridge? I absolutely love the look of that Marvel that's in there, but it's 110 volt only and I'm sure I'd be much better off with a 2 way. I've done some searching but haven't found much. Wondering if there's any way to replace the guts of the compressor system with those of an gas/elec type. Or I wonder if I might be able to modify a gas/elec unit so it could give up its door and live behind that original Marvel door. Really want to keep that look if I can, but the ability to boondock will be very important to me. I dunno, down the road decisions anyway.

Thanks again for the welcome. Many questions to follow.

cheers,
steve
Old 02-08-2009, 05:19 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Centralia , Washington
Congratulations on the great find! I hope that you have a wonderful time restoring it, and better yet, using it.
www.cameron-bailey.com
73Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:27 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
About that fridge... RV Mobile, RV and Gas Refrigerators is in Everett... they might be able to help you out. They rebuild older fridge units (though, probably not as old as the Marvel), and might have some ideas.

Another thought... just some dry ice from the local Safeway might get you to where you want to go.. then plug in when there.
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:08 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Congratulations on such a great acquisition! That trailer is beautiful!! She will be a great project for you as you care for your wife. Be sure to store her somewhere safe and secure and good luck with the decision on the front window.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:21 AM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Lexan or acrylic may be a better idea for that window.
About the caregiving: you can look at this as decompression therapy .
Old 02-09-2009, 02:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbearsailor View Post
Thanks, everyone. I'm definitely excited about her.

Anybody got any ideas on the fridge? I absolutely love the look of that Marvel that's in there, but it's 110 volt only and I'm sure I'd be much better off with a 2 way. I've done some searching but haven't found much. Wondering if there's any way to replace the guts of the compressor system with those of an gas/elec type. Or I wonder if I might be able to modify a gas/elec unit so it could give up its door and live behind that original Marvel door. Really want to keep that look if I can, but the ability to boondock will be very important to me. I dunno, down the road decisions anyway.

Thanks again for the welcome. Many questions to follow.

cheers,
steve
Steve,

I believe that you can purchase the Dann Foss compressor system. Retrofitting that system into your old Marvel may be a challenge. You will then have a modern system which is all electric and will work on both 110V and 12V. You will need a way to keep your batteries charged in order to run the refrigerator on 12V. We installed a Dann Foss powered new refrigerator in our Liner, but have solar panels to keep the batteries charged, when running the fridge on 12V.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:11 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Thanks Bill and Marc.

I was looking at Muddy Hollow's thread and what he did with his Marvel along the lines of what you're saying, Bill. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f467...mod-27696.html

I'm hoping there would be a way of doing it with gas instead of a compressor system. My boat has a very efficient 12 volt system. I've got a cold plate and a Danfoss compressor and at least 6 inches of insulation on all sides. It's a really good system. We nautically boondocked for 8 years with no shore power and we managed, but we had 240 watts of solar panels and a wind generator. The fridge eats around 35 amps a day. That is what I'd hope to get away from as I really want the trailer to be able to operate well when it's not plugged in and propane just seems like a better way to go than amps.

I'll have to get in touch with the guy in Everett, Marc, and see what his thoughts are. At this point, I'm thinking the best path might be to use the Marvel door as a false front for a Dometic, if I can find one that would fit the size and manage to get around gasket problems. Just want to save that door if I can to keep that vintage look, particularly as I'm pretty sure I can save all the cabinets and the stove. Anyway, it's down the road and I've got plenty of time to brainstorm it and figure a way to go.

Thanks for the input. I've got all day for the rig tomorrow, so I'll try to post some more detail pics on the inside.

cheers,
steve
Old 02-10-2009, 05:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Steve,

First off great trailer. I love the look.

Secondly, the second weekend of August there is a WBCCI Buddy rally for vintage Airstreams about five minutes north of you, okay, maybe ten. Check out the rally section here.

I'm ten minutes north of Blaine. I redid a '51 Flying Cloud and two of my buddies are just about to get into rebuilds on a '51 and a '53. Both still have the Marvel fridges and are trying to decide what to do but there was a fellow on a Vintage Trailer Forum who had figured out how to adapt the door/front to a late model Dometic. I've trying to find that article for them and if I am successful I'll send it along to you as well.

Take care and welcome aboard. Hope to run into you - if you see a light and dark green colored 1957 Pontiac Safari wagon in town it is us. Don't hesitate to stop us and introduce yourself. We get to Blaine and Lynden a lot.

There is also a vintage trailer (Tin Can Tourists) camp out at Mission, just north of Sumas, June 5th that you might be interested in either to camp or to come look at the trailers, meet some of us, and get ideas.

Barry
Old 02-11-2009, 10:37 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Thanks, Barry. Got those dates on the calendar, hope we can make them. I'll be on the lookout for your '57 Pontiac in Blaine--don't think we'd miss you.

Hope you can find that article on adapting a Dometic to the Marvel door. The more I look at it, that seems to be the best solution to keeping that cool old door. It sorta makes a solid clunk like a '57 Pontiac door probably does when you close it. Gotta keep it!

Got a few hours of work done yesterday---well, some work and more gawking at cool stuff inside. Old carpet is gone and started pulling the gaucho. There's an old floor repair by the water tank from a leak in it or by it and the floor is just mush up there, but that's no big surprise. I'm sure I'll find some more of that kind of thing.

Mostly just some detail photos here. Pretty neat seeing the serial number popping up on several pieces of cabinetry.

cheers,
steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010035.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	333.4 KB
ID:	75358   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010039.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	348.8 KB
ID:	75359