Old 08-11-2017, 09:27 AM   #57
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
If your not worried about damage to the rub rail (VTS does sell it in 14' lengths), grind off the heads of the screws. I had several froze up. Steel screws in aluminum not good.

If you have access from the inside, put a vise grip on the screw and break it off. That should loosen the screw threads in the channel. This may damage the channel though. You could try to cut the screw off with a cut off wheel. Dremel has minature cut off wheels for their tool but the diameter is really small (approx 1") and they are fragile.

Good luck

57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:43 AM   #58
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Los Angeles , California
Thank you SO much for that tip. I never imagined I'd be stalled for so long due to something so little!

Yes, I was trying to save the rub rail, but the level of overall discouragement and delay doesn't justify it. You know, I actually already did break the screws off with a vise grip from the inside. I was sure it would work, and it did on several of them. Just not these last two. I'll try the grinder!

Sum75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 01:13 AM   #59
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Los Angeles , California
Today was my birthday as well as a day off from work. I decided it was time for the trim to come off, so first I tried the heat gun (briefly and cautiously), then the grinding method. It was a success. Actually I used a dremel with a tungsten carbide cutting bit. It worked. The trim piece may even be reusable. Happy birthday to me!

I drilled out the rivets that were underneath then removed every screw I could find on the outside of the trailer (holding on the porch light, at the bottom edges of the window drip caps, and a row of screwed on snap like things (I presume for the awning).

Every screw not rusted in place is now out. I believe there are only two left (not including the dozen or two holding on the rear rub rail, grrr!). I feel like maybe I can start making some forward momentum again. It's a good feeling.
Sum75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:43 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Stuck screws into aluminum can come out with some gentle tapping. I typically use a cold chisel and gently (really I mean gently) tap the side of the screw head on all sides. The steel screw being harder than aluminum will usually ever so slightly stretch the aluminum enough to get it to break loose without breaking off. I'd had good luck with that on belt line trim, window sash alignment screws and the like.

Glad you're up and going again. I look forward to watching your project!

Wally Byam's 1955 26' European Caravan Trailer!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1957, 1957 overlander