Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1954 - 1959 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2019, 01:27 PM   #61
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Los Angeles , California
I know it's been a while, just checking in to say that I'm still at it. Current status: all remaining items and lower interior aluminum skins out, sub floor totally out, frame 35% painted with POR 15, new "C" channel (actually, "J" for this vintage) cut from aluminum purchased from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty. I went with three sheets of 2'x4' .040 3003H14. I didn't feel like attempting to cut strips or purchasing a bending brake, so I had the channel fabricated at a local sheet metal shop. I now have well over a dozen four foot sections, which I am comfortable shortening as needed. In hindsight, I don't think I needed this much, but we'll see.

I had quite a bit of channel corrosion in some places and it was a bear to get out in other places, so I opted not to save what I had other than the curves front and rear. So things are coming along. It's slow going working solo, but also very empowering.

That said, while I feel capable, I don't feel like jacking up the shell to remove the frame from underneath is really necessary or a good use of my time. So at the moment, the steel plate at the front of the trailer and gravity at the rear are holding it together nicely and I've been able to manipulate the trailer sides enough to slide in my first two floor sections. So far so good. There is a bit of damage to the frame beneath the shower compartment that may require welding, but I think a mobile welder should be able to address it. So there is no "lift off" planned.

One thing that concerns me is some corrosion on the inside of the exterior skins, particularly at the wheel wells and other lower skin areas where I presume the fiberglass insulation got damp and was in contact with the aluminum. I'm wondering if this is filiform corrosion, and if I shoud apply a chemical treatment to prevent spread. I'll have to research this further. For now, I've applied vinegar and scrubbed with a scotch brite pad, which did see to help.

I'm a pretty focused person who has never been accused of having ADHD, but seriously sometimes I feel like I do with the Airstream. There is so much to do and it is SO easy to get distracted. I have a hard time starting and finishing jobs linearly. So while I've got the rest of the frame to have repaired then painted, I've also got the channels to install, and I've got a few of the windows out to try my hand at that. I'll try to post some pictures soon.
Sum75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1957, 1957 overlander