Old 03-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
San Pedro , California
The rebirth of Phoebe, my 1957 Overlander!

So after owning her for the better part of a decade but seeing her and working on her only a few times, my Overlander is finally home with me where she belongs! I've longed for this for a long time, and finally last month it happened-- she was towed to my house and I have begun work on her.

The name "Phoebe" came to me a few weeks ago because she is like a song bird to me- something about her lightens my heart and makes me happy. All of this from 56 year old aluminum?! Yes, absolutely! As it turns out, Phoebe means "bright, shining"-- who knew? Well, we aren't there yet (not by a long shot) but I'm hoping that in a few years the name will fit perfectly.

It has been challenging finding time to get things done on her with a full time job, but my motto is "slow and steady"- as long as I can make measurable forward progress, I am absolutely satisfied.

So far, I have removed some of the interior and begun stripping latex paint and the zolatone beneath it. My husband and I have been trying to have a child, and each month that we aren't successful, while depressing, at least has a silver lining in that I can work with chemicals (stripper, etc) without hesitation. So Phoebe is very good for me- something to look forward to and find comfort in. Pictures of my progress so far will follow shortly (once I figure out the best way to locate what I want to attach... bear with me).

Old 03-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Congratulations! I'm anxious to see the pics and follow your progress.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
I dont know what products you are using but if you are concerned with chemicals try Citri-strip. Absolutely no fumes just a pleasant tangerine scent and wont even irritate your skin. it does work a little slower than harsher products so brush it on today and strip it off tomorrow. It will leave your interior metal clean and paint free with a little effort and is available at most big box stores.
tim
Old 03-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
San Pedro , California
Thanks Eljay! Rumrunner, I've been using the stripper in the red can from the Home Depot... I will look into Citristrip, thanks for the tip!

So this afternoon I had my first experience drilling out rivets... Just the interior pop rivets holding the upper cabinets in place. Two of the three are down now. What a weird sensation, taking apart something that has been in place for more than 50 years. I hate to do it, but it's necessary. As I take things apart, I'm really struck by how light (almost flimsy) things are... But when they are together as designed, they are absolutely solid. It's impressive!
Old 03-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Sum75, good luck on your resto and I'll look forward to reading your thread, following your progress. Also, best of luck with your desire to have children; my DH and I had similar desires, but in the end we adopted our two children and we haven't looked back.

We are in the process of doing the resto on our '56 Bubble, so if you have some spare time, feel free to take a look. I'm thinking that we may be able to share some info.

I'll second (or is that third?) about the CitriStrip. I tried some on one of our interior skins which had the Zolatone on the bottom and other layers of paints after that, and I found it worked as the others said. I plan to remove all of the paint and then polish the interior skins.

Deb
Old 03-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #6

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Congrats on getting that beauty home!

Love Citrastrip! I posted on my blog a method of using plastic razor blades and Citrastrip that I highly recommend.

A 1963 Airstream Overlander named Moonraker: July 2012

My husbands an avid birder, I love the name Phoebe!
reinergirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
San Pedro , California
Thanks, Deb! I will certainly check out your thread. I love those Bubbles- so very cute! Congratulations on your two adoptions. I think that is a beautiful way to create a family and I'm definitely open to it! My only hesitation is that it seems so complicated, and it seems like you have to compete with other couples. And the idea of a "home study"- I don't know exactly what that entails, but it sounds scary! We will look into it though. Was it a lengthy process?
Old 03-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
San Pedro , California
Thanks, Reinergirl... I remember reading about your technique! I looked for plastic razor blades at Home Depot, and I couldn't find them. Maybe Amazon has them... I'll check. I did just buy a bunch of the scotchbrite pads. Going to give that a shot, too! Hey, how does the stripping compare to polishing the exterior?? Because this seems pretty tedious!
Old 03-16-2013, 06:22 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Yes, it was a lengthy process; ours were foreign adoptions, but even the ones here in the States are very detailed and lengthy. I'm going to PM you.

Deb
Old 03-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
San Pedro , California
Two Threads??

Okay, somehow I have two threads going with the same name...
I have no idea how this happened I guess I should have read the instructions before starting a thread! The other one has the pictures I attached, so I guess I'll post on that one!

Tags
1957, 1957 overlander