Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1954 - 1959 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
'Someday' 1959 Overlander

Hi fellow Airstream lovers!
We've had our first Airstream, a 1959 Overlander, for a month now. So far, we've really enjoyed the restoration process. The forums here have been a huge help. We'll post questions about our new Overlander on this thread.
Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 03-06-2010, 08:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Unique bumper?

We never thought much about our large and boat-like spare tire holder until today. We looked for pictures of other Airstreams with a similar bumper and were unable to find any. Has anyone every seen one like this before?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4570.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	379.2 KB
ID:	97579   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4572.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	691.5 KB
ID:	97580  

Old 03-06-2010, 09:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Looks like a one off design to me! Many folks avoid hanging things off the back of their Airstreams as it can help lead to rear separation.

By the Way, welcome to the forums and please post some more pictures of your great Airstream! We love pictures here, no matter what!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Someday59,Welcome to the Forum!
Love the rear view of the 59.Post some full pics when you can.I have been restoring my 65 since Dec. and h all the expert help from the members has been invaluable.
bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:15 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
Welcome!
Always good to see another Airstream nut in the atl. area. So want to find a pic of a 50's coach with a rear bumper mounted spare holder?. Search member LuckyLindsy, a 56 caravanner not the same but similar.
Kevin
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:01 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Spare mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday'59 View Post
We never thought much about our large and boat-like spare tire holder until today. We looked for pictures of other Airstreams with a similar bumper and were unable to find any. Has anyone every seen one like this before?
I need to do something for my GT to carry a spare,I like the way this one is done,if Wally can run all over the world with spare tires on the back bumper,I`m sure I can run the interstates.It seems to be the 70`s trailers that have the rear separation.
What I am thinking of is cutting the spindle off my old axle,and mounting it with new backing plate,brakes,hub and bearings,then use as necessary in case of a breakdown.
Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Hi Someday

There are tons of threads and posts about rear mounted spare tire mounts here. Possibly you have already researched some and noticed it is one of those "love it or hate it" subjects.

Your 59' is unique for sure. I think it was probably a good solution at the time when many early airstreams were still being towed by the family car and storage for the trailer spare was sparce. I fall on the side that think it can damage the rear of the trailer over time and my personal opinion is it takes away from the look and lines of the trailer.

My suggestion is to cut it off and sell it at the next vintage rally to the guy going to Africa or south America.

And look how much nicer the trailer looks without it!
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
You're right, safari62! It's definitely a "different" look.

I think we're just going to keep it for now.... it seems like the modification has been around almost as long as the trailer. We beefed up the frame so it should support the weight.

(Can't say I "love it" but we're going to "live with it" for now!)

There's a guy going to Africa or South America? Where can I sign up?!?
Old 03-11-2010, 10:04 AM   #9
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Oooooh, another '59 owner. YEAH !! Welcome. Glad you're with us. We love to see pictures, lots and lots of pictures.

I'm of the mindset that I don't like to clutter up the view of the trailer, so the spare goes in the back of the truck.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:04 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Where do we put the plumbing?

I know this is kind of a weird question... but the PO took out most of the original plumbing in our trailer. We're getting ready to put in PEX but we're not sure where exactly to put it. Does it go under the twin beds? kitchen sink? Do part of the pipes go under the floor? In the wall? Where do the pipes go that lead to the bathroom sink? Please help!
Old 03-26-2010, 12:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Someday'59, on my trailer, the plumbing all ran along the street side, through/behind the kitchen cabinets, under the street side twin to the hotwater heater (which was also under the street side twin), then behind and around the bathtub over to the bathroom sink and finally the toilet (which in my trailer is on the curb side). The line from the water tank up front came from underneath the gaucho along side the street side floor and was covered by a piece of aluminum trim until it entered the kitchen cabinets.
Norm
Old 03-26-2010, 01:29 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Thanks (again!) Norm.
I finally had enough sense to look at the Picasa album of your trailer. It helped a whole bunch. (I actually forgot that the tub and bathroom sink sit RIGHT NEXT to each other. I was thinking we had to hide the PEX along the wall some way... but we don't!)

I'm still not quite clear about the line from the fresh water tank to the kitchen sink. From the pictures, it looks like it's just a small pipe that runs along the floor against the streetside wall. The trim that covers it is aluminum and looks like finishing trim. Is this right?
Old 03-26-2010, 02:05 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbosa View Post
Someday'59, on my trailer, the plumbing all ran along the street side, through/behind the kitchen cabinets, under the street side twin to the hotwater heater (which was also under the street side twin), then behind and around the bathtub over to the bathroom sink and finally the toilet (which in my trailer is on the curb side). The line from the water tank up front came from underneath the gaucho along side the street side floor and was covered by a piece of aluminum trim until it entered the kitchen cabinets.
Norm
I'm signed up to learn Sketchup with Don, but so far haven't "taken any lessons" yet. But we should really put together some plumbing schematics for the 50s and early 60s Overlanders, there always seem to be a lot of questions about them. Once you see it, it's really not that hard at all, but for people with gutted trailers or trailers with major changes, it would be a valuable resource I think.

For example, I had no idea a small water line ran from the front of the trailer to the galley cabinets for the freshwater tank delivery system on your 59. I'd never even thought about it, since on my trailer, the freshwater tank is under the SS twin, along with most of the other plumbing like water heater, city water inlet, galley drain line, etc.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:18 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Quote:
Thanks (again!) Norm.
From the pictures, it looks like it's just a small pipe that runs along the floor against the streetside wall. The trim that covers it is aluminum and looks like finishing trim. Is this right?
That is exactly right. The original copper line is pretty small (I think 1/2 inch outside diameter, but someone here probably knows better) and the finishing trim piece that hides the line is a tube like cove molding that fits over the line. Unfortunately, that trim piece won't fit over PEX.

There is just a cold water line coming from the fresh water tank back to the kitchen and then on to the hot water heater. The hot lines T off the hot water heater with one going forward to the kitchen sink and one going aft to feed the shower and bathroom sink.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post

For example, I had no idea a small water line ran from the front of the trailer to the galley cabinets for the freshwater tank delivery system on your 59. I'd never even thought about it, since on my trailer, the freshwater tank is under the SS twin, along with most of the other plumbing like water heater, city water inlet, galley drain line, etc.

-Marcus
Yep, the 59's had the old aluminum fresh water tank up front with an air compressor. I thought your's came like that also originally. Do you know if your fresh water tank was possibly moved by a previous owner?
Norm
Old 03-26-2010, 02:30 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Quote:
... for people with gutted trailers or trailers with major changes, it would be a valuable resource I think.
You should! I bet it would help out lots of people.

Quote:
the freshwater tank is under the SS twin, along with most of the other plumbing like water heater, city water inlet, galley drain line, etc.
That's another idea. We were going to put the fresh water tank under the gaucho in front but I think we're going to have to explore this idea too.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Lynnetta

Don't know if you would be interested - we cover restoration topics taught by professionals at our restoration rally in June.

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:37 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Ken,
Sounds fun... but we're really hoping to be done-ish by June. Hope I'm not jinxing it by "saying it out loud."
Old 03-26-2010, 05:04 PM   #19
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Here's a diagram of my fresh water system. As you may surmise, my water heater is under the streetside galley cabinet and not towards the rear of the trailer so lines don't need to go to the back and then back forward again.

As Marcus mentioned, the system is pretty straightforward.

Brad
FF
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FreshWaterSystem3.pdf (125.6 KB, 109 views)

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:07 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Holy smokes - are you working on this full time? You are fast - I assume you mean June 2010?

It took me 3 1/2 years to do mine...

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1959, 1959 overlander, 26', overlander