Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1954 - 1959 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2019, 10:43 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
Installed the first front panel on the banquette. The boss kept hinting to see one done! It's cut from some architectural aluminum panels I bought off a tiny house builder. The material has a tough clear plastic layer over the top so it should hold up to abuse from shoes, etc. They're riveted on, except for the other side. It will be bolted on for access to fresh water mechanical/hot water heater.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Banquette front panel.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	345.5 KB
ID:	341281

Hittensthiel's post reminded me I hadn't posted a photo of the metal wall cabs. The boss wanted these to make a statement against the light yellow wall panels. Walls and cabs were shot will two part epoxy primer, color coat and clear coat after being stripped.

Name:	Painted walls and cabinets.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	341282

Laminate just arrived for new table top and kitchen counter top. Will start on those in a couple days. Our one mid century modern touch to go with the original wood cabinets. The boomerangs are teal to go with the cabs and brown to go with the Marmoleum Click flooring.

Name:	Laminate Pattern.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	409.8 KB
ID:	341285 Click image for larger version

Name:	Marmoleum Flooring.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	348.2 KB
ID:	341288

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:12 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Very nice indeed. You are making great progress. Your boss ought to be very pleased.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:18 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1956 22' Caravanner
Don Pedro Island , Florida
I mean this as a compliment ...it reminds me of the "ice cream/soda joints" we use to have in another era. Good job...I like it!

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1921527
islandtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:57 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
I absolutely love your dinette!
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:28 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Lots of little details to finish up but needed a break. Going down to the Rockabilly Rally in Hollister, CA. Wanted to see the gold banded 57 Airstream that was recently restored.

Gave me a chance to really test our original Krefft frig that I converted to 12/120 volt with the kit from Isotherm. It worked great. Turned it on last night to setting 6 (1-7) on shore power. Disconnected about 2 hours before we left and let it run off batteries/solar. Had a nice sunny day (high 70s to low 80s) traveling through Oregon to the CA border. Checked the frig after setting up and pre-frozen ice cubes were still hard and everything was nice and cool.

Name:	Krefft Frig redo.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	439.8 KB
ID:	342615

Having 400 watts on the roof paid off. Checked batteries on arrival and still at 100% on color cg. Although I left the original insulation in the body, I did replace the with rock wool in the door. I also added foil backed rigid insulation around the available cabinet space on the sides 1", top 1", bottom 2". I haven't enclosed the compressor assy yet and it sits above the frig in the cabinet storage space (with no door yet, waiting on hinges to come back from chrome plating) it is really quiet.

Name:	Frig Isotherm Compressor.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	342614 Click image for larger version

Name:	Krefft Frig.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	342616

Our thread:
Old 06-06-2019, 06:01 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Thanks Harold, I’m glad it’s working so well for you. It was through your thread and advice that we chose the Isotherm for our Dometic M16. It has worked flawlessly. Thanks again and have fun at the rally.
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:05 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Table Top

Back in post 19 (page 2) I demonstrated our table pedestal that allows you to slide side to side, back and forth, and rotate. The photos were with a small piece of plywood attached. They didn't really demonstrate the movement available. Here's the final shape of the table and demo of the movement available. (sort of practical, but lots of fun to demonstrate).

slid back

Name:	Dinette slid back.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	343202

slid forwar

Name:	Dinette slid forward.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	343203

slid sideways

Name:	Dinette slid sideways.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	343204

rotated

Name:	Table top rotated.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	279.7 KB
ID:	343205

Our thread:
Old 06-14-2019, 07:09 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
door alignment part 1

One of the projects I've been putting off is rebuilding our door. It needs a new outer skin, adding a dead bolt and alignment. The door is in medium rough shape. The lower portion has prior damage and a partial skin replacement.

Name:	Current door bottom patch 1.jpg
Size:	308.0 KB
ID:	343362 Click image for larger version

Name:	Current door bottom patch 2.jpg
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	343363

The door latch assy was replaced at some point with a newer style and they butchered the door frame and door surround.

Name:	Current door latch 1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	367.0 KB
ID:	343364 Click image for larger version

Name:	Current door latch 2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	343365

The alignment of the door is also out. Its too far back in the opening and tighter to the outer skin at the top than the bottom. The first thing I'm going to tackle is getting the door frame centered in the opening. To get that started I took some measurements. I placed some tape down the hinge side of the door opening. Standing perpendicular to the door skin edge I marked lines by both hinges to start measuring how far the door needed to move forward.

Name:	Body side upper door hinge and alignment marks.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	343366 Click image for larger version

Name:	body side lower hinge alignment marks.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	343367

At those same points I measured the door opening and the width of the door frame (not the door skin). With that I knew what the gap should be at the front and rear of the door opening. Measuring the distance from my vertical lines to the door opening and comparing that to the distance from the edge of the door skin to the door frame allowed me to see how far the door had to move. (door skin to door frame) minus (vertical line to door opening) = (current gap between door opening and door frame) I needed to move the door about 3/16". Measured off my vertical lines and drew a new line as the target (shown in photos above, red is current position, green is desired position).

Part of the movement was gained with the door on and tapping just behind the eyelet to move the eyelet forward.

Next I looked at the hinges themselves, comparing the gap between the body hinge half and the door hinge half. (forgot to take a before photo) The two sides were touching (along the blue line). Also look at the hinge eyelets in comparison to the hinge surface (yellow lines) Note the body side eyelet is fairly centered and the door side eyelet is offset to the left. Moving that eyelet can give you some small changes. Also look at the attached side of the hinge to the body (red line). On mine you can see a slight curve out at the right side. I took a piece of plywood and a bfh to tap on that portion to try and straighten, to no avail. There is too much give in the body to be successful (don't go crazy with your hits, the body is not as strong as the hinge itself). To 'bend' the portion of the hinge next to eyelet a crescent wrench works well, you can tighten it to the thickness of the hinge. I wouldn't recommend placing on the eyelet itself, work the flat portions.

Name:	Hinge positions.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	343368

Also look at the eyelets, while the pin may not be loose enough to wiggle, the eyelet may be misshapen due to old damage/wear.

Name:	hinge eyelet openings vary.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	343369

After getting a preliminary realignment of the door in the opening I went back to work on the hinges. Like most hinges that are 60+ years old the eyelets are a little oblong. Not a big deal but I wanted to relieve any continued wear. Door comes off and start looking at the body side hinges as a single unit. Taking a long piece of 1/4" round rod I tried to slide it through the upper and lower hinge. More tweaking to get that accomplished.

Name:	Align Body Side Hinges.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	343370 Click image for larger version

Name:	Looking at hinge alignment from side.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	418.9 KB
ID:	343371

Now the same alignment process with the door side hinges to achieve the same alignment between the hinges. I was fortunate putting the door back on and checking the centering of the door it was good front & back gaps. If it had moved a little I'd go back to the beginning steps and adjust accordingly.

Same process will be done on the inner screen door once I replace the rivets on the door side.

The door is not quite in alignment top to bottom regarding door skin gap to shell skin. (wider gap towards the bottom than I want. Top half OK. Probably related to poorly repaired lower damage shown in photos. I'll tackle that when the new outer skin is done and I have better access to the door frame. Probably need to patch door frame where butchered for current latch. I have a Bargman H20 to install.

Hope this makes sense and possibly helps you get a better fit.

Our thread:
Old 06-14-2019, 07:14 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Very cool. It will make entry into the U dinette easier.

The pedestal we used just goes up and down as well as rotates. Hey, two of six axis is better than one.

The completed dinette is extraordinary. I've not seen anything like it.

David
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
Old 06-15-2019, 07:03 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1956 22' Caravanner
Don Pedro Island , Florida
I get it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57Vintage View Post
One of the projects I've been putting off is rebuilding our door. It needs a new outer skin, adding a dead bolt and alignment. I have a Bargman H20 to install.

Hope this makes sense and possibly helps you get a better fit.
I am at the same point on my project. I have spent over 10 hours trying to make my H20 work and still no go. Oh well Thomas Edison once said "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1921527
islandtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:12 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Airstream doors are one of the more complex aspects of the whole trailer. Your analysis and approach to repairing your door and lockset is very good.

My old Trade Wind had a one piece hinge that was well worn. I read Aerowood "line bored" the hinge hole and installed a slightly larger hinge pin to tighten the thing up again. I did repair the Bargman L100 lockset in my Trade Wind and also the son's 69 Globetrotter. Locksets are interesting to work on. My Overlander has the KT lock set that seems pretty robust, still working anyway.

David
Old 08-02-2019, 10:05 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Kitchen sink and countertop

I had reinstalled the original kitchen sinks and counter top as a short term solution. When we went down to the Rockabilly Rally for a shake down trip, the boss talked to a number of people about their remodeled kitchens. The consensus was a single basin was more efficient than the two small basins that came with the trailer. So the hunt was on for a new sink that would fit the original cabinet.

I found that searching for a 'utility' sink was more useful than using ' kitchen' sink. The issue was my counter top was too narrow to accommodate the depth of a standard kitchen sink. Found one that was only 21" deep including faucet mounting flange. Time to cut new counter top, laminate and install.

Name:	sink cab with new light under wall cab.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	348306

I also enlarged the counter top cut out for the oven vent. Before it was just open for the direct vent from the oven on the right half. The stove opening on the left just vents heat off the back of the stove. Still need to add the second piece of trim to enclose the stove top.

Name:	New sink cab countertop with enlarged oven vent.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	429.2 KB
ID:	348305

We did lose some height for storage under the sink, but it should work OK since a gallon jug still fits. The furnace is located under this cabinet. That's why the 'grill' covers the lower area.

Name:	Sink cab with new sink storage space and furnace grill 3.jpg
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	348307

We also found that lighting lacking around the sink so I added an led fixture to the bottom of the wall cabinet. The unit will rotate along its length so you can aim the illumination.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kitchen wall cabinet under mount light 1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	348304  

Our thread:
Old 08-02-2019, 10:32 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Oddie cabinet hardware

Now that we had our cabinet hardware back from chrome plating, it was time to install cab doors. We were fortunate the original Oddie hinges and latches were still there and functioning. They just needed to be re-plated. The Oddie latches were a bit of a hassle for the wardrobe and heater door. These are overlapping doors and the latch catch (female side) has to be spaced out to the depth of the door offset. The original spacers were some type of softwood (balsa?) and were pin nailed to the cabinets. These fell apart when removing the hardware to refinish the cabs. I finally decided to replace with a piece of aluminum shaped to match the original shape.

Name:	oddie latch spacer 1.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	348308 Click image for larger version

Name:	oddie latch catch with spacer 2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	427.9 KB
ID:	348309

You're making up for the height difference between the door surface and the cabinet front.

Name:	oddie door latch with spacer 1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	348310

On double doors, such as the kitchen sink cab, the two mounting surfaces are in line so no spacer is required.

Name:	oddie cabinet latch 2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	348311

The latch side (male side) can be disassembled. There is a clip that holds the latch rod in the mounting plate. With that off the interior spring and latch rod can be removed.

Our thread:
Old 08-02-2019, 02:09 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
57 very nice write up for the door knob and spacers as we have the same.

Now to remember where all this good info is some day. If time permitted I should copy paste all the hints and tips that pertain to us in a word doc with a reminder of where it came from.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:42 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
I did a Word doc when I started my research in AirForums to do the trailer. Over the years I've lost too many internet bookmarks to computer failures. It also allows me to go in and review all those items and delete, revise, marked done, etc.

Did the same now that I've started a punch list based on use of the trailer and prioritizing.

What it really boils down to, is I'm old enough to prefer a piece of paper for this type of thing.

Our thread:
Old 08-02-2019, 07:18 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Very nice work 57vintage: We have that small double sink in our 75 Overlander and in our 86 Limited. I guess folks like a wash and rinse sink back than. Many modern trailer nowadays have a single sink.

The old cabinet door latches look very robust. My 75 Overlander has plastic ones which have lasted well these last 44 years.

David
Old 08-02-2019, 08:42 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
It all comes down to personal preference. We prefer the two smaller sinks in our vintage Airstreams the the single large, behemoth sink in our 2016 Classic. I looked to see if there was a smaller double that was a direct replacement, but couldn't find anything, so we wash dishes in a small plastic basin inside the oversized sink.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:40 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Thermostat

I've had this project in the back of my mind for quite a while, but it just wasn't a priority.

We have a Coleman Mach 8 (15K) AC with the heating element (6K), which requires the Control Package for the heating element and that also allows the use of a wall mounted thermostat. This allows me to use the Quiet Duct Cover on the AC (no controls). I wanted the wall mounted thermostat that could be hidden with the other controls behind the old panel heater cover.

Name:	AC cover no controls.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	353926 Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrical hidden behind wall heater cover.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	353933

I got this up and running early on as AC is really nice to have while working on the interior and for camping in the summer. The heating element is sort of a joke, it can warm the kitchen/bedroom up about 10 degrees max.

So now we're into fall and heating becomes more of a priority. We have a Suburban Quiet Duct Furnace (25K) that is ducted into the bathroom, bedroom, kitchen and front banquette.

I wanted to use a Coleman heat pump thermostat to control all of these as it has a separate setting for electric heat (AC heater) and gas heat (furnace). This black one replaces the white AC thermostat in the upper right corner. The black will hide better behind the perforated grill.

Name:	heatpump thermostat.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	353927 Click image for larger version

Name:	Panel heater cover with new insert.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	302.8 KB
ID:	353934

Electrical has never been my strong suit, but I felt it was worth a try. Fortunately, the AC and electric heat wiring was the same as before. I just has to see if I could tie in the Suburban gas furnace to the Coleman thermostat. Seems simple enough, only 4 wires off the furnace (+ & -) for power to the furnace and two wires to the thermostat. Suburban's electrical instructions leave much to be desired. The 2 relay wires to the thermostat (blue & blue w/ stripe) are not color coded for 12 v lead to thermostat and return line to the relay. The instructions tell you to wire power to the unit and then test the 2 blue wires. Whichever one is hot is power to the thermostat while the other is the return to the relay. Can't believe they aren't wired/specified by color code!!!

Since I already had power to the thermostat from the 12 v circuit from the furnace circuit breaker, I tested the leads and the negative (no power) became the relay lead for the thermostat's "gas heat" circuit. So the furnace power lead for the thermostat is not used.

It's working and I'm still amazed it was easy to work out. I had been concerned about mixing units from different manufacturers. If I had thought about it logically and remembered all the house thermostats I've installed over the years, that weren't made by the furnace manufacturer, I would have aced this a long time ago.

Our thread:
Old 10-10-2019, 08:33 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Stove Cover

Finally finished up the detail work on the counter top/stove cover. The cover itself is not anything new, just plywood with laminate on both sides to match the sink counter top. I did a few details a bit differently to solve some concerns I had.

Name:	stove cover.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	344.4 KB
ID:	353978

I wanted a stronger aluminum piano hinge than I'd seen so far. I found one that is made from extruded aluminum and is 'geared'.

Name:	stove cover geared piano hinge.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	315.5 KB
ID:	353979

I was also concerned with attaching the counter top with wood screws to the hinge so I added some reinforcement so the plywood is clamped between the hinge and the aluminum tube. I refer to this as edge rail so things can't slide off the counter top when the stove is covered. You can see it in the first photo on the right edge of the cover. A piece of channel, with rivnuts, sits inside the square tubing. I think I’ll add some plastic covers to the ends to finish it up.

Name:	stove cover hinge clamped.jpg
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	353980

I also added an edge (right side and back edge) to the opposite side of the counter top so when it's open things shouldn't slide off the side or back. This is just a taller piece of the metal edging I used on the counter top.

Name:	stove cover edging.jpg
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	353981

A piece of aluminum angle rests on the edge of the sink counter top so the stove cover doesn't come down on the burner grates. The taller metal edge is mentioned above is sandwiched behind it.

Name:	stove cover L support.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	353982

The cover support is the original with a notch cut at the back to clear the square tubing. The support latch is the one sold by VTS. It's a little heftier than the original.

Name:	stove cover support 2.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	353983

Our thread:
Old 10-10-2019, 09:02 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Re purposing the heater cover for all the controls and electrical is a great idea, even warning lights would shine through. think I have two stashed somewhere so I'm set :-)

Tags