Old 05-24-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Kennewick , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to shermybaby
Number on front and rear panels 1956

what do the numbers on the front and rear panels mean? My trailer has the (faded) number 893. The Trailer is a 1956 Overlander.

Thanks

shermybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Kennewick , Washington
attached a pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20070502 Airstream 004.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	80777  

Old 05-24-2009, 10:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by shermybaby View Post
what do the numbers on the front and rear panels mean? My trailer has the (faded) number 893. The Trailer is a 1956 Overlander.

Thanks
They are a Wally Byam Caravan Club membership number.

More than likely, that number expired years ago.

My book is at the office, so I cannot look it up until Tuesday.

The good news is if that number has been expired, you can join the Club and probably use the same number yourself.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Wally Byam Caravan Club member numbers . . .

Hi Shermybaby:

A long time ago in a club far, far away, WBCC number 893 belonged to Frank Taylor from Seattle, Washington. He went on the club's 1957 Winter Caravan to Mexico and he may have taken your '56 Overlander on that trip, but I can't say for sure. The old membership directories state which members went on listed caravans but is silent about the trailers used because trailers were simply a means to a social end, not an end in themselves. Look in your trailer itself for possible clues as to its travels.

By 1964, Frank had left the club and number 893 was reissued to the Nelson's from Apache Junction, Arizona, who went on the Western Caravan in Summer 1962. They may or may not have owned your trailer when they took that trip, but that was their number in the mid-sixties. I'll leave the number history there.

You can join the WBCCI but the club will not reissue 893 to you as your membership number because today 3 digit numbers are reserved for members of the International Board of Trustees, national officers and committee chairs. You could get a 4 digit number if one is available or a 5 digit number for sure.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Another legacy trailer???

I see the ghosting of what appears to be an old rectangular Wally Byam Caravans sticker below that number on the pic of what looks like the rear whale tail of the '56. Shermybaby, it stands to reason that in the distant past your trailer has been on at least one of the old caravans. And it looks like yours is a California trailer as well.

• • • Aluminocentricity • • •
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Kennewick , Washington
My grandfather bought this trailer in the mid sixties somewhere in Washington State. He worked for the railroad and was away from home quite a bit. He would park the trailer at the depot where he was working at the time to stay in during the week and come home on the weekends. That went on until about 1974 when we moved to Moses Lake, Washington where he worked until he retired in 1979. In the 70's and 80's we went camping in it quite a bit mostly in the Pacific Northwest. (Did I mention that I was raised by my grandparents?)

When my grandfather died he left the trailer to my uncle and then my uncle died and left it to me. My mom wanted to clean it out and do some TLC on it so we parked it near where whe lives in a RV storage facility. It got stolen there and gutted so there is little left of the original inside and much of the lighting on the outside is missing as well. At the time it turned up missing I got a virus that caused heart failure. It took a while to recover but several months later I tracked the trailer down at the same facility where it turned up missing. I called the police and the next day came back with all the legal paperwork and took the trailer home. Never did get the missing stuff though.

There are no real clues about where the trailer has been. Just what I know from family history. I would like to fix her up and have been reading all the great info on this site for a while. I am still fighting the heart tropuble and just recently got the flu and pneumonia back to back. It put a dent in my budget and energy levels. Been struggling with trying to be all vintage or vintqage shell and modern inside. Either way it need a lot of work.

Thanks for the great info!

shermybaby
Old 05-24-2009, 08:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Shermybaby:

By 1973, # 893 was owned by the Crydermans in Michigan, so that's the end of the relevant number trail since your grandfather bought the trailer in the mid 1960s. The first 893 number holder, Frank Taylor, lived in Seattle, Washington, but it appears he did not renew his WBCC membership after around 1960 or '61, since by 1962 the Nelsons out of Arizona had #893. So I suspect your grandfather bought the trailer from Frank Taylor, who left his old WBCC number on it when the trailer was sold. And Frank may have kept the trailer for a few years after he stopped renewing his WBCCI membership.

The directory does not reveal any apparent connection between the Nelsons in Arizona and Washington state. And if your grandfather used the trailer as a weekday home, it made little sense for him to have joined the WBCCI, which is a travel club.

One neat way to refurbish a trailer like yours is to re-create a vintage look with the interior woods and paint but install modern appliances and utility systems. The 26' Overlander was the most popular size Airstream in the 60's and their best selling model. It was large enough for long term travel but light enough to be towed by cars back then. Have fun designing an interior and getting her back on the road.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by shermybaby View Post

Thanks
An Airstreamer on the road was once asked by an individual not 'in the know' if that was his price and was it negotiable.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Kennewick , Washington
some detail ideas for resto work

My grandfathers name was Joseph Albert David Rivard but everyone called him Dave.

I have been looking at many styles for the interior and I like the old look with new appliances. I like light woods (birch maybe) for the cabinetry and floor and stainless appliances. Air19 ahs done some great stuff with cabinetry! Link

I have also looked at Zolatone for the interior walls but it seems as the original color (a light green and white mix) is not available. I have attached a couple of colors that I like.

Name:   Zolatone 20-54--20-77.bmp
Views: 274
Size:  34.2 KB

Name:   Zolatone 20-11--20-64.bmp
Views: 274
Size:  34.2 KB

The lighting would be close to original but some of the fixtures would have cfl or quartz illumination.I like the look of the old fixtures but would sure appreciate more light.

I have been thinging of using fiberglass reinforced plywood on the floors. There is a company near me, Fiber-Tech, the makes the stuff and it would allow me to have a one piece floor that is extremely durable and solid. One thing that might be a concern is that it is too rigid. Another is that I would have to remove the shell to do the floor this way but been thinking about it anyway since I want to do some frame/tank work. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks for all the great info!
Old 05-27-2009, 01:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
If you really like the original Zolatone color, I understand a close match can be custom mixed. I have a battleship gray-green with white, cream, and dark gray specks in the '56 SOTR. Trailer Buff has discussed custom matching with me, but I'm not entirely convinced I want to live with gray-green interiors yet. If there is a Zolatone color you are interested in, I'm sure it can be created.

The old fixtures are cool and give a great nod to the vintage feel. I'm keeping most of mine but want to supplement with some well-placed warm white LED fixtures.

The Fiber-Tech FRP looks interesting, but I don't understand enough about flooring and physics to comment. I'll leave that for the resto experts.

• • • Aluminocentricity • • •
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags