Old 09-30-2015, 10:44 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Moscow , Idaho
David,
Thanks for sending the bathroom layout pics. Your bathroom looks great. I like the placing of the toilet and I really like what looks like a sliding door.
The '57 Overland layout had the black tank mounted on top of the floor in the corner. I still have the galvanized old black tank for tempting. Toilet was sitting on top and the, very small, shower pan was in front of it. The sink was centered in from of the aft window and the stressed corner was a storage cabinet. I would like to at least space out the shower and the toilet. That is in part because I am 6.7 tall, which calls into question why I got a '57 Overlander in the first place.
You are absolutely correct, my trailer has a 4" frame, not helping for tank sensor systems, which I believe requires a 5" tank minimum depth. VTS has 4" tanks but I thought that I may hang the tanks lower than 4" and build flanges for the belly pan side. I have to redo the belly pan anyway. I could put two 4" tanks in the frame and build or purchase a black tank for above floor installation but then I could not use the grey tanks to flush the black tank, which sounds like a desirable setup to me. For the shower, I thought I use a Hebvo drain water valve Hepvo Waterless Valve
VTS is selling them too. Well, first I have to make a nice paper sketch like yours and get an exact frame layout underneath. There are two '57 Overlander renovation threats that I have read and re-read.
Here they are
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...n-87899-6.html
Around post #81, Sparky57 discusses the tank layout in his trailer and

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f99/...-48054-20.html
Post #269 and others. It's stunningly beautiful work that Pbearsailor does, way way beyond my skills but very inspiring.
Mark

Naddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:09 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Moscow , Idaho
Finally the inside panels come off

Now that the paint is gone I finally can take the inside panels off. It's not as if this is the greatest job in the world given that in many areas the rodent owners of the trailer had built entire cities and left 'things' behind. But it is the last step before the shell is lifted. So much fun to check some of the original construction features out. I attach a few pics showing the perfectly fine insulation (after 58 yrs) in some places and the totally chewed up insulation in other areas. Especially bad conditions between the endcaps. Quite a bit of rodent pee caused corrosion on the 'cylon' Also a pic of the original wire-junction-solution. It's dirty work but so exciting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1013082.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	327.0 KB
ID:	249399   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1012999.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	249400  

Name:	P1012998.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	337.3 KB
ID:	249401   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1013014.jpg
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	249402  

Name:	P1013083.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	386.2 KB
ID:	249403   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1013079.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	249404  

Name:	P1013088.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	249405  

Old 09-30-2015, 11:24 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Moscow , Idaho
Free stuff to give away

I have a few things taken out of my 1957 Overlander that I do no longer need but maybe you can use them?
These include:
1) a complete and almost intact maple gaucho (I think almost all of the veneer could be refinished)
2) An overhead cabinet, also in decent condition shape. It is not original to the trailer but was added later to replace one of the original upper bank beds
3) A few parts of the original TV antenna (inside crank mechanism and outside holding brackets);
4) Freshwater pressurizing pump (I doubt it works but haven't tried).

I include a few pics below. The caveat for the wooden items is that I am located in north central Idaho, not necessarily the epicenter of vintage airstream renovators, so you may have to drive a little if you want to get the wooden parts. I could probably ship the smaller things.

Name:	IMG_1297.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	390.9 KB
ID:	249412   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1300.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	569.9 KB
ID:	249413  

Name:	IMG_1302.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	394.3 KB
ID:	249414   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1305.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	521.0 KB
ID:	249415  

Old 10-04-2015, 11:39 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Moscow , Idaho
Inside shell is out

The inside shell is out. Taking the rivets and the aluminum sheets out did not take nearly as long as cleaning out the insulation and most importantly vacuuming and vacuuming again the - hmmm - let's say not so appealing remaining bits of rodent life. Took pics of the guys who - supposedly - built the trailer. I also took out the outer wheel wells, under which I found the inner (or the other way round ) wheel wells in surprisingly good condition. Next step - floor templating.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1013090.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	249593   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1013093.jpg
Size:	323.7 KB
ID:	249594  

Name:	P1013100.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	249595   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1013101.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	249596  

Old 10-04-2015, 12:51 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
The Cylon or toasters have always come back but you have the ability to make her better than she was before just remember that crap can get fracking expensive so patch paste and reuse what you can! You can do it and so far you have accomplished a ton! I am still working on mine had to take a heat break as I suffered heat issues working on the caravel in the the beginning of the summer. I do like the pictures keep up the great work you are doing awesome!
Cliff
Old 10-05-2015, 09:18 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Greensboro , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naddy View Post
David,
The '57 Overland layout had the black tank mounted on top of the floor in the corner. I still have the galvanized old black tank for tempting. Toilet was sitting on top and the, very small, shower pan was in front of it...You are absolutely correct, my trailer has a 4" frame, not helping for tank sensor systems, which I believe requires a 5" tank minimum depth. VTS has 4" tanks but I thought that I may hang the tanks lower than 4" and build flanges for the belly pan side. I have to redo the belly pan anyway. I could put two 4" tanks in the frame and build or purchase a black tank for above floor installation but then I could not use the grey tanks to flush the black tank, which sounds like a desirable setup to me.
Mark,

I am really enjoying reading about your restoration. The pictures are great! Have you given any thought to a composting toilet? I know this is almost as controversial a topic as tires and WD hitches, but there are a number of folks on the forums that swear by them and it might be a way to reduce weight and give you more flexibility with grey and fresh water. If you haven't seen them, you might want to check out the YouTube videos by the Wynns on composting toilets.

https://youtu.be/5CdnVZkCKXU
https://youtu.be/dYR6GPmDzVM

Your doing an amazing job. Best of luck in your restoration journey!
NC Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:33 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Moscow , Idaho
Cliff!
I owe you a huge 'Thank you!'
When I began to post on airforums 2 yrs ago, you reminded me to make sure to get good templates before ripping too much stuff out of the trailer (it was with regard to the completely rotted out floor in front of the airstream). Back then I was wondering 'what does he mean?' Oh yeah, I now know. Hence, my emphasis of templating the floor before it is 'lift off' for the shell. I did measure the entire floor already and I also used the 'story stick' method for the curved areas. But I am still paranoid enough about the exact floor shape (see what you did? ) and fitting the shell back on the trailer, that I decided to make precise templates for each of the plywood pieces as suggested by Frank Yensan.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:45 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Moscow , Idaho
Thanks a lot NC Camper!
I read a few posts on the composting toilets and I like the system.
It's just that (despite being a complete amateur), I like to challenge myself with those infrastructure systems. Also, a really old friend of mine taught me plumbing 30 years ago and he would be so mad, if of all work pieces, I would chicken out on the plumbing of the holding tanks I know, nothing of what I say really makes sense.
Sometimes, I see beautifully restored airstreams on ebay, except that they lack the bathroom or the galley or hadn't the electrical upgraded. They are still great and beautiful but for me - personally - they also have to be complete with regard to the systems. I think that's part of the appeal of them. Everything included in such a small place.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:28 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Greensboro , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naddy View Post
...a really old friend of mine taught me plumbing 30 years ago and he would be so mad, if of all work pieces, I would chicken out on the plumbing of the holding tanks I know, nothing of what I say really makes sense.
Sometimes, I see beautifully restored airstreams on ebay, except that they lack the bathroom or the galley or hadn't the electrical upgraded. They are still great and beautiful but for me - personally - they also have to be complete with regard to the systems. I think that's part of the appeal of them. Everything included in such a small place.
LOL I understand completely! If you are going to take on a job you want it to feel like you have done it "right" when you are finished. I can't imagine anyone saying someone had "chickened out" after finishing a shell off restoration!

Best wishes!

NC Camper is offline   Reply With Quote