Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1954 - 1959 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2008, 07:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Seattle (Auburn), WA , I still love my dirty water and my Red Sox-originally from Boston!
Send a message via AIM to SUEHOWIE Send a message via Yahoo to SUEHOWIE
Exclamation How Do I Research My Trailer History?

I am the proud new owner of a 1957 Custom 26 foot Overlander. It is a CA model. I am curious how to research the history of it-if it was involved in any caravans, etc. I know the last 12 years it has been sitting on a campsite in Elma, Washington. There is some evidence via a sticker on the trailer that it spent time in Oregon as well, so it has made its way up the Pacific coast over the years. How can I go about tracking this?

Thanks,

Sue

1957 Overlander "Kalea"
SUEHOWIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:24 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Most historical trailers have been researched back based on WBCCI numbers that have been found on the trailer. Looking at your pictures, I can not see any hint of a number on the shell. With out numbers, I doubt that your trailer was on any of the world famous caravans.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:27 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Seattle (Auburn), WA , I still love my dirty water and my Red Sox-originally from Boston!
The serial numbers are 6865. There is a very faint hint of numbers on the A/S herself, but most notable simply on the plate. It's not so much that I even care that she was in some of the world famous caravans, I was more curious to see how I could research her history, if that was possible. I always love a good story to tell. She was sitting on a campsite that was alongside of a lake acting as a cabin for 12 years and prior to that was owned by a full timer who lived in her, but the previous owners didn't know much past that. I read somewhere that Airstream had lost a lot of their records as they were not required to keep them back in the day; that was a bit disappointing...so I was a little stumped as to technique in research. I appreciate the response, though...any other ideas?
Old 10-19-2008, 10:46 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The numbers I was refering to are the big red WBCCI numbers on the front and rear of the trailer. The 68xx number is the Airstream serial number.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I found the factory serial number of little help as records have been purged and Airstream has changed hands. With my Ambassador I just lucked out as there is some archived documentation because of the world caravan. Practically all the information I now have was sent to me by forum members. I agree what was invaluable was finding the old WBCCI numbers.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:18 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
See? I am learning something new almost every day. She is not only my first Airstream, but my first "trailer' I have owned, so I am learning lots of firsts. My friend Marc the other day asked me if I knew what the blue and the red numbers meant, and I had to admit that I didn't. He said the red numbers were WBBCI, and the blue numbers were "important people", LOL. Am still trying to figure out exactly what "important people" are.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Your blue number would be your membership number when you joined here on the AirStream Forums...your's is...32640. Enjoy your new 'project'....

Lots of good info here to help you out...just do a search...if you go the the Advanced Search window you can enter a topic and then search for it only in the titles of the posts...it will help narrow your search sometimes.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Ha Ha Sue... I think I meant "forum's people".... which are "important people" too...
: )

Funny how walkie talkies can scramble messages! (we were talking via walkie talkies... me driving Kalea home.. she following.. watching the leaves blow off!)
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:49 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Those walkie talkies were almost dead by the time that convo happened, too...we were watching the Airstream going south on I-5 and we were going north. Lino and I were looking at each other half the time and going "HUH?" lol. What did he just say?

It's true, the tongue was absolutely frozen with rust and gunk and we were actually worried if we would get her home that day, but Marc persisted-and it paid off. The rest of it (after the leaves flew off...matted down, gross, wet leaves) went fairly smoothly. I wonder who was going past us going southbound?