Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1954 - 1959 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2004, 07:14 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Gutted 1957

Went to see a 1957 overlander today. I was looking for 13 panel and thought all 57's had them. Not.. But the skin is nearly flawless except for some poor patches.

It's 150 miles away and while there I was disappointed about the panels it began to talk to me on the way home. Skin other than some patches is in great shape with no clear coat. Frame while rusted is intact except for a cross member in front and maybe in the back. Forward of the door the ends of two frame cross members are rusted out including step support on that side. Amazed at how little metal was in it to begin with.
Lots of windows including a small window in the rear end cap on each side. Rare no?
It was a shock to walk into a gutted unit stripped to the exterior skin with wholes in the deck where it has been cut out between frame members. The interior is gone.

Some clean up has been done, ie grinding off of old tar has been done and sealed from inside in those areas.

The skin is still attached to frame.

Original wheels !!!!!!!! Under snow so couldn't see, but is that wild or what?

The interior walls are missing........ I was surprised how thin the rib material is and I thought it would be deeper. Anyone have figures on the rib depth. Strange what I can obsess about.

I think I'm falling for her.....

I'm looking for a trailer to fully rebuild and this seems to be on the way with alot to do. However I am conflicted.... I'm past the panel thing... I think... I cann't image replacing the interior walls with new material is fun. How does one cut the stuff without templates.

Seems trailer is abandoned by someone it was being rebuilt because the cost was going to be too much....

That it's gutted is ahead of the game for me but doesn't that still effect the value. After all other than a few of you and me who would even look at it. They're looking for 5200. Seems to me half that is more like it.

Needs frame off or is that off frame or shell off to make the frame ready for another fifty years.

Needs new Axels and wheels.

Needs all the interior stuff including skin, tanks, ect.

Needs window repair.

Could this be the next morning what did I do part of the story... Except I didn't do it. But I still might...

It has lots of windows ( none work well some broken fixed panels)

Really nice skin...... expect for patches.... but is is a California trailer so a few patches is.... well..... culturally necessary...

Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 07:29 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
for a gutted shell that is going to need a frame off I would think 1K is the best they should expect to get. There is another member that bought the same thing in Fl for less than a G and it has the interior and almost the windows. The fact that it is towable is a plus, but not worth an addition 1500-4000 bucks. Trailers for the 50's completely restores go for less than 10 in some cases. You may have to educate the owners to get them to realize that what is sitting there has a lower value than what they have in it.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 07:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
You are in for a lot of work and money, if they don't get reasonable on the cost I would run. Basically they want $5200 for a shell.

I replaced all the interior skins on my mh. I built a big table to lay everything out on. In the mh I made a line at the front main rib. Everything was measured from there. All the corner radius on the large windows were same so I made a template for 1 corner and transferred it to all 4. The height naturally came from the floor. I tried to find an 8 ft. stainless flexible rule, $350 and 6 weeks to make it so ended up using a tape. Remember to plan for all the electrical openings, vents, etc. It was a week long job measuring and checking and doing all the drawings for each piece.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 09:49 AM   #4
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
I sold a nice 1957 26' Custom last June for just $2400. I'd be embarrassed to say how little I paid for it. My ad was on this thread, complete with a link to 24 photos:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...&threadid=4789

$5200 sounds very steep.
BTW, If you look at the pics of '57 Overlanders on VINTAGEAIRSTREAM PHOTO ARCHIVES, you'll note that the California models had 7 panels and the Ohio models had 13. Go figure.

Rog
Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 10:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Gutted?

I don't know what the interior end-caps were in a '57. If they are one piece fiberglas, like my '59, and are still there I would tackle it. The straight interior skins are fairly easy.
If the interior skin was segmented aluminum and you have no patterns, then the amount of work to replace them is incredible.
Either way, $2600 is still a little high, in my opinion.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 03:33 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Post ebay 13 panel

in washington state there is a 57 overlander listed on ebay (it may have just expired) that isa gutted and that no one has bidded on....... has anyone else seen this one ??
this sounds like what you want.
only problem with ebay though is that sometimes the prices get haywire.
but here no one bidded on it,
go figure.

paul
p.dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 06:29 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Wow thats alot of money for a shell. I know I got a good price for mine but I think that guy is just dreaming. I got mine 8 months ago with all the original interior, refrige, oven, bathroom, water heater, everything. It did need some floor repair but the frame was in great shape and the body is good except for where the door must have blown open and put a small crease. I agree that it maybe worth 1K from what you explained. Maybe less (no interior panels). I know its hard to wait for the right one once you got the itch but you will save yourself a lot of work.

Steve
Deluxe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 08:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
You all give me strength. In fact I was thinking a thousand for the shell and another 500 for the frame. $1500. Everything else is either missing or needs to be replaced. She is calling me but not for more than 1500 Thanks for the feedback.
I went to the Providenc RI RV show today.... No Airstreams.... No equipment dealers either... wasted $8.

Saw the one in Washington and talked to the gentleman, and indeed he is one, but it is 3200 miles away. Anyone need an AS from the eastcoast, we can meet in Chicago....

I was considering having the Washington 56 taken to Andy for frame and axel rejuvenation and going to get it..... wife said she and the poodles are staying home..... not a good sign...

Drove to Denver from DC many years ago none stop, or maybe one sleep aside the road...in VW super bug. Don't think it would be so good on me now...

Still cann't get over the ribs..
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags