Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1954 - 1959 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2010, 01:23 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Kennewick , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to shermybaby
Smile Clarice is Coming... 1956

Got some health back and, with the help of family and friends, we are starting the restoration of our '56. We decided to name her Clarice after my grandmother who would only go camping if we were hooking to power. She did not care for boondocking much but always liked the huckleberrys.

Ordered the tires and wheels yesterday. After reading about tires and wheels and what is available in our area I selected the Carlisle ST225/75R15 from our local tire store. Since Clarice currently has split rims we got new alloy wheels to.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MB Wheels 72.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	109950

Going to get her on Friday the 10th and bring her home to start the work. Planing on a wheel bearing pack while switching the tires and wheels. Got some temp lights wired up already to tow her home with. The trailer has electric brakes with a hydraulic park/emergency bbrake. I am sure that the hydraulic system needs fluid but I am not sure how to bleed the system. I am hoping to borrow a bleeder from a friend to help with that.

I am sure to post more questions as they arise but for now, am I overlooking anything necessary to tow her home? The trip is about 150 miles.
shermybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Kennewick , Washington
One thing that has come up already and I have yet to get the wheels is that the trailer has lug bolts for steel wheels. The need for longer lug bolts with aluminum wheels was discussed at the tire dealer and they were going to get some. They called today and said the could not get the right size...I think the right size is a 1/2 inch thread and so did they. Can anyone tell me what size the original lug bolt is? and/or, where I may get replacements to fit the aluminum wheel?
Old 09-03-2010, 03:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
"Clarice" just reminds me of Silence of the Lambs... *shudder* You're going to temps people into your Airstream with shiny wheels, then go all killer on them?
Old 09-03-2010, 04:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Kennewick , Washington
Well...maybe Hannibal would do that but sweet innocent Clarice???...although, she did carry a big gun didn't she?

And, there is Wikipedia Clarice.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:11 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Gillette , Wyoming
Even better...I thought you were going to tell us you picked her up in the backwoods of West Virginia like Hannibal's Clarice. I was actually relieved to find out she was named after your grandmother.
GAS_Wyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Kennewick , Washington
Well, it was an all day experience but we got the new tires and wheels on (what a chore) and arrived home safely. Turns out I inherited more work than I thought. The front and rear hubs are not the same. The front, I think< are original and have 7/16 in studs. The rear look like they may have been replacements and have 1/2 in studs. The left front wheel was rusted on and we had to use the hot wrench to get it off. The lugs on the front were in pretty tough shape but the only ones we had that would fit so we used them. Not a 1/2 mile down the road the left front wheel came off. Caught it fast though and left the truck and trailer in the road to go to town and get new lug nuts. Good thing it was out in the country and not in the way...much. Anyway, got it fixed and towed her 150 miles home with no more incidents.

The tires that cam off looked a little worse for wear...they had been on there since I was a kid. My granddad liked to get his moneys worth. A new set of axles is in order since there is too many things to fix on old ones.

A few pics:

Name:	OldTire1.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	110587

Name:	OldTire2.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	110588

Name:	OldTire3.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	110589

Name:	OldTire4.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	110590

Name:	NewWheels_1600.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	110591
Old 09-12-2010, 06:29 PM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Glad to hear you're feeling better. Say, he did get his money's worth out of those tires!

The new ones look pretty slick, though.

Any ideas how you are going to replace the interior yet?
Old 09-13-2010, 08:01 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Gillette , Wyoming
Nice looking wheels! How about some general photos from the whole trailer? I'm gonna keep following the saga of 'Clarice'!
GAS_Wyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Kennewick , Washington
I have an interior panel to replace where the swamp cooler is mounted. The swamp cooler will come out and an A/C unit put in. Zolatone paint for the inside is the plan for now and medium dark bamboo floor.

Name:   ZFX-JI127crop.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  3.1 KB
Above is the Paint color and below is the shade of bamboo I am thinking of

Name:   etb_svg_amber_lg.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  7.6 KB

I need to do more reading about woodworking to determine weather I do it myself or hire it out. I would like to do it and learn the things I do not know to have nicer materials by saving labor costs. Same with some of the metal work. I habe a son and a couple of nephews that will help with the heavy work.

I will get more pics in the daylight tomorrow.

Tags