Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1954 - 1959 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2011, 01:18 PM   #201
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I got my mattresses from a guy who redid his beds in his RV. they will work great for my needs. One less expense

Brian
Old 05-07-2011, 07:11 PM   #202
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Gas Lines

Ryan came over today and was incredibly helpful with getting the gas line work started. He came up with a great plan for dealing with all the obstacles now hanging from the belly that make an otherwise straight-forward job very complicated. We had to navigate around the stablilizer jacks, the two gray tanks (foward and aft) and the drain plumbing. As a result, instead of a straight 1/2 line with 3/8th feeds heading off to the various appliances, we had to jog back and forth and add several elbows. Ryan's experience with his two previous restorations was invaluable. Before he had to leave, we had about 80% of the lines run. I finished a few more sections after he left and should be able to finish up and be ready for a pressure test with a couple more evenings of work. These pics show some of the lines installed just hand tight. Ryan suggested the neoprene washers to center the copper lines inside a 1" hole in the belly pan to make sure the copper does not rub against the edges of the hole in the aluminum. When everything is tightened down, I'll screw the washers to the belly with the copper line centered in the hole. The first two photos are the runs to the furnace and stove on the street side and then running back under the axles to the water heater. The last photo shows a stub we installed for a BBQ just foward of the wheel well on the curb side. It has a shut off valve inline and the T going forward off the 1/2 line is the fridge supply in 3/8th.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3275.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	129317   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3274.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	129318  

Name:	IMG_3273.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	129319  
Old 05-07-2011, 10:23 PM   #203
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Looks real good, Norm.

Are you running individual shutoff valves for your appliances or are you planning on using caps should anything need to be unhooked?

Just started on mine with some inside hookups, but no lines run underneath yet.
Still need a snorkel to go under the trailer.

cheers,
steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #204
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbearsailor View Post
Are you running individual shutoff valves for your appliances or are you planning on using caps should anything need to be unhooked?
I was going to put a shut off on the line for the stove, but there was not enough room in the stub outside the trailer. So, if something needs to be unhooked when I'm still using gas, I'll have to use caps. I did install a shut off for the BBQ feed.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:16 AM   #205
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Once again Norm everything looks tight, clean and top notch. I haven't got to my gas lines hooked up. Jim (Jim and Susan) got my AC and DC figured out. I think things will start to move forward at a faster speed.

Norm give me the make and type of toilet you have. I need to buy a new one.

Brian
Old 05-08-2011, 08:28 AM   #206
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Brian, it's the Sealand Traveler Lite low profile. Fits in the tiny corner bathroom area of our trailer's very well. Norm
Old 05-08-2011, 08:10 PM   #207
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbosa View Post
I was going to put a shut off on the line for the stove, but there was not enough room in the stub outside the trailer. So, if something needs to be unhooked when I'm still using gas, I'll have to use caps. I did install a shut off for the BBQ feed.
Turns out I was wrong, there is enough room for a shut-off. I found these ready made 2" swivel connectors (to the left of the shut-off valve in this photo) which are comprised of about an inch of pipe with a flare nut at either end that allowed me to install the shut-off valve in the short distance between the T and where the line bends to go through the belly pan. The shortest stub I could fabricate was over twice as long. I'm really happy about being able to install a shut-off valve for the stove. I'm keeping the original Princess stove and when the knobs are turned on that stove, the gas flows. With two pairs of little hands in our trailer, I was worried one of them might occasionally turn the stove knobs when we are not looking. This way I can keep the gas supply to the stove off except when we need it for cooking.

I finished the last couple connections today, so all I need to do now is tighten everything down and test for leaks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Stove Shut-off.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	270.7 KB
ID:	129412  
Old 05-11-2011, 11:50 AM   #208
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Lost Time

I hate to think of all the hours I've lost on this project re-doing things that I thought were already finished. Last night I went to re-install the stove and discovered that I'd placed the kitchen cabinet 1" too far back from the edge of the countertop. As a result, the stove would not fit flush with the cabinet face. So, I had to partially disassemble the kitchen cabinet, move it forward one inch, and put everything back together. Burned up the entire evening taking things apart, but I got it all in the correct place and everything lines up now. I still need to screw everything back together including reattaching the countertop, but fortunately I did not have to actually remove the countertop, sink etc. I was able to just unscrew it from the cabinet base and slide the cabinet forward underneath the countertop. Whew.

I hope to have pictures of the stove in place with the burners lit soon.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:15 PM   #209
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Back on Track

Everything is back where it's supposed to be and I got the stove re-installed. No fire yet, but getting closer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Stove.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	311.7 KB
ID:	129705  
Old 05-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #210
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Looking good, Norm. I can't wait to get to the interior of my Overlander. Our Princess Stoves are the exact same color. Do you have the original refrigerator?

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:29 PM   #211
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello mike View Post
Looking good, Norm. I can't wait to get to the interior of my Overlander. Our Princess Stoves are the exact same color. Do you have the original refrigerator?
I do have the original refrigerator, but I have not been able to get it to cool. It fires up no problem, but after leaving it fired up for two days, it never got cold. I tried "burping" it by turning it upside down overnight and back upright and I tried banging on the cooling unit, but no luck. So, I think it's a lost cause. I looked all over the country for anyone willing to replace the cooling unit, but no one seems to provide any parts, service or refurbishing for these units.

It's still sitting in my garage and may have parts that are useful to others (like you). If your interested, just let me know.
Norm
Old 05-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #212
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Norm:

I have wiring for A.C. and D.C. for the Galley. I decided not to go with the original light that was under the cabinet over the sink and stove. I am thinking of using the AC and DC. going with two types of lights side by side. If I am boon docking I will use the DC lights and if I am hooked to electrical use the AC. I have the AC wiring and I could tie it off but I think I will hook it to lights. I have the converter and it would not be necessary for AC lights but what the heck.

Brian

What did you use for over your sink?

Brian
Old 05-14-2011, 03:08 PM   #213
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Everything is back where it's supposed to be and I got the stove re-installed. No fire yet, but getting closer.
Norm ~ I believe your stovetop and oven door are suppose to be the same color. At least, that's what I've seen in the past on trailers of this era. Mine were the brown that's the same as your stovetop but I replaced both the oven door and stovetop to white courtesy of Frank's Trailer Works. I have a brown door for you if that is of interest to you although I really, really like the soft yellow color over the brown. You may be able to get the stovetop powder coated to match the oven door with a non-heat sensitive power coating.

Its really coming together nicely and I continually check in from time to time to keep up with your progress. One day, I hope to camp next to you and see this in person.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #214
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Fridge

Quote:
I do have the original refrigerator, but I have not been able to get it to cool. It fires up no problem, but after leaving it fired up for two days, it never got cold.
Norm
Oh no! I'm still REALLY hoping our cools... but we haven't tried it yet.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:11 PM   #215
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
Norm ~ I believe your stovetop and oven door are suppose to be the same color.
That is correct. Mine was originally the brown that you had. I took the top and the oven door to a powder coating shop and they recommended against color on the stovetop because the colors are not rated for heat. The black is a muffler black that can withstand high heat. I was tempted to just do the stovetop in yellow anyways since I don't think it actually gets that hot. Maybe next time.

Norm
Old 05-14-2011, 06:12 PM   #216
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday'59 View Post
Oh no! I'm still REALLY hoping our cools... but we haven't tried it yet.
Hook it up to a BBQ bottle and fire it up. You'll know pretty quick. I was really disappointed I couldn't get mine to work.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:13 PM   #217
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post

What did you use for over your sink?

Brian
I still have not re-installed our old over sink light. We really don't like it much. Mary and I have been trying to find a nice replacement but have not found anything reasonably priced yet.
Norm
Old 05-14-2011, 07:05 PM   #218
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Over sink light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
Norm:
I decided not to go with the original light that was under the cabinet over the sink and stove.

Brian
Quote:
I still have not re-installed our old over sink light. We really don't like it much.
To either one of you- I'm looking for an original over-the-sink light for our trailer.

What's up anyway? Why are you both ditching the light? Is it especially ugly or something? Just curious.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:03 PM   #219
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Mine is a rusty beat up ugly thing. I tried to clean it up, but it's still pretty nasty.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:26 PM   #220
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Mine is all rusty and there is a shade that goes inside it which is all dark yellow and nasty. I don't know what type of material the shade is made of. It was used to hide all the bulbs. To be honest we may go with it. My wife, son and I are restoring the trailer. My son is the one who wants to stay with all the orginal Lights. I already bought a new stove. Anything gas will be updated.

I also have installed a converter which will power all the DC.

Brian

Tags
1959, 1959 overlander