Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2006, 12:13 PM   #81
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Whoa... looks very nice! But I"m confused; how can you have the body on without the belly pan?
ankornuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 01:06 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Thanks for all the nice comments.

I used Nuvite on the 75 as well as this one.

I left the belly perimeter on the frame - I think you can see in the pictures - I noticed that RJ Dial did it the same way - I think he has come good pictures too on his website www.vintageairstreams.com - don't know if he got the idea from me - I got the idea from someone at a vintage rally several years ago - so I know it will work.

I'll keep the updates and pictures coming -

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:40 AM   #83
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
Thanks for all the nice comments.

I used Nuvite on the 75 as well as this one.

I left the belly perimeter on the frame - I think you can see in the pictures - I noticed that RJ Dial did it the same way - I think he has come good pictures too on his website www.vintageairstreams.com - don't know if he got the idea from me - I got the idea from someone at a vintage rally several years ago - so I know it will work.

I'll keep the updates and pictures coming -

Ken J.
Cool, I like it! Very awesome work!
Old 07-21-2006, 06:48 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Thank you

It is this Forum and the VAC list that has kept me going......

Ken J
Rally
restoration rally
Old 07-22-2006, 05:47 PM   #85
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Hill Country , Texas
Ken,

I was excited to find your thread -- no one else seems to have done a "shell-on" total floor replacement. I started on my 1959 Overlander in May, am trying to get it ready to live in by Sept.

My goal in doing it shell-on was to save time, but I'm not at all sure that's going to be the case. Like you apparently did, I wound up having to trim my belly pan WAY back, really need to replace the whole thing now, which means somehow un-riveting and re-riveting the whole @#$% shell!

At the moment, I have a new sub-floor pieced in and bolted to the frame, but haven't done any of the perimeter yet. I'm having a problem getting the shell lined up properly with old holes in outriggers and wheel-well covers. It's as though the whole shell has crept forward on the frame ever so slightly, a bit more on curbside than street: something < 1/4" on one side,< 1/2" on the other. It's attached at the vertical plate in front, otherwise has been floating like yours was, with a few bolts at outriggers to tack it down, until the sub-floor went in.

I'm hoping that you, or one of the other helpful folks on this thread, may have a magic solution? Or at least some good ideas to try?

Getting all-new electrical in Monday, then I'll get all-new running gear installed (by local horse trailer place) as soon as I have it bolted back together and mobile.

After that, someone (and I hope it's not me!) needs to fit the sheet-metal to the belly and buck-rivet the perimeter. Are you planning on doing this yourself? Uwe ALMOST has me convinced that I can -- but having recently seen his fabulous re-done 1963, his skill levels are clearly considerable, so I'm not sure his idea of "easy" and mine are the same!
Old 07-22-2006, 05:58 PM   #86
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1959newbie
After that, someone (and I hope it's not me!) needs to fit the sheet-metal to the belly and buck-rivet the perimeter. Are you planning on doing this yourself? Uwe ALMOST has me convinced that I can -- but having recently seen his fabulous re-done 1963, his skill levels are clearly considerable, so I'm not sure his idea of "easy" and mine are the same!
Lynne,
Do I really have to come all the way back to show you how easy it is to buck rivet? You can bring tiny, fragile humans to this world - how could you shy from something as barbaric as buck riveting? You basically brutally smush a soft shaft of aluminum by means of air pressure and piece of steel. Basic. Requirews a little practice, but the learing curve is steep and fast.
I can send you my riveting stuff on Monday, if you PM me a shipping address. Try it on a piece of belly pan and see how easy it is. Do you have an Air compressor? A smallish one will do for riveting. Be brave - go rivet something!
Old 07-22-2006, 07:30 PM   #87
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
I'm baaaack! Ken J.
Hi Ken:

Welcome back after a hearthside absence! The '58 Overlander looks very very sweet, a beautiful trailer with stunning lines and just-the-right windows. I'll be following your progress from a bit north and cheering you on. Good to see you again.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 08:36 AM   #88
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Hello Lynne

Uwe tells me you have a nice trailer.....

Its really scary knowing the whole shell is only attached in the front - I had visions of the thing falling on me and never being found again

I did keep some bolts loosely in to keep things lined up, however, still had some adjusting to do - it took a bit of brute force, but I did get it all lined up - I then used stainless steel bolts, lock washers and stainless nylocks - hopefully that will keep it where I want it.

How far did you cut the belly back? Do you have any remaining belly that you can use to attach a new belly? I did end up putting all new belly along the sides of the trailer - because the old was in terrible shape - I left the original belly in front and back - seems like that would be hard to replace with the shell on process - the sides is not bad at all.

YES! you can do it - I also had the buck riveting fear - Its easy and fun - the only thing that you have to make sure is that you have the air hammer firmly on the rivet - otherwise it can slip off - if the truth be told - I bucked about 10 rivets as practice at the most before I went for it on the trailer - had 3-4 out of 100's that I mess up on - my wife and I did it together - she holds the bar and I do the gun - a $10 harbor freight gun I might add.

This forum and the VAC forum got me through this restoration thing - it will get you through it too - sooooo keep asking away!

Ken J
Rally
restoration rally
Old 07-23-2006, 08:44 AM   #89
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Fred

Thanks! Yea I miss seeing y'all last 2 years - got into this rebuild thing (vs restore.... ) and have spent more time under the thing rather than in it camping - which I would much rather do - I think I'm back on the road for sure this fall, so you we be seeing me.... It was a total disaster when I got it, but since it is the same as my wifes birth year - she said "you can do it" - if I had any idea it was going to take 3 years - I would have said "no way" - is fact I did say "no way" at first, but then I figured what the hey.......so the only thing that will be original will be the frame and shell.

Arent' those windows cool? I bet you have never seen or ever will see that on another trailer - As I 've figured out you can look at the windows on the 57 in RJ's site and you will see the exact same window openings - sometime early in its life, they were replaced with what I have - or special ordered from the factory - I know back then you could get pretty much what you wanted...

Regards

Ken
Rally
restoration rally
Old 08-06-2006, 08:25 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Making progress.....

I've got about 85% of the interior finished - at least enough to take it out for a test camping trip - ordered custom mattresses - so should be good to go here in a couple of weeks - first real camping trip will be over labor day weekend.....

Ken J.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior 85% complete.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	24410  
Rally
restoration rally
Old 08-06-2006, 09:26 PM   #91
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Ken, It is looking good! Glad to see that you are getting ready to hit the road again. I know that it has been over a year for you. I am sure we will be camping together in the near future.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 10:04 PM   #92
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Good to hear of your progress from a new location. As AZflycaster said, we look to be camping with you guys soon. Keep up with the work and pictures of your progress. Looking great Ken.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 01:17 AM   #93
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Hill Country , Texas
Wow, Ken, it's looking great! Hope to catch up with you by Labor Day.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:29 AM   #94
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Quote:
I've got about 85% of the interior finished - at least enough to take it out for a test camping trip - ordered custom mattresses - so should be good to go here in a couple of weeks - first real camping trip will be over labor day weekend.....

Ken J.
I keep telling myself that I'll be there one day, actually putting the interior back in. It's hard to believe!

So, did you end up refinishing that interior wood, and if so, what technique did you use? Is there a veneer on that wood?
Old 08-07-2006, 11:49 AM   #95
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
I can tell you from personal experience that this is a very rewarding phase when restoring an old Airstream. After month and month of prep work, riveting, painting, welding and general nonsense, putting in the interior suddenly makes all the nasty memories disappear.
Great progress, Ken!
Old 08-07-2006, 12:18 PM   #96
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Yes I can relate to wondering if I was ever going to get here - look at the earlier posts for interior pictures and you will see what I mean....

What you see is a complete rebuild of the interior - the original interior was trash and basically fell apart when I took it out - I was able to use it for patterns however.

Yes this is finally a rewarding phase - I can see the end of the tunnel - it has been a lot of work for the past 2 1/2 years.

Putting the interior in was not totally fun though - since I used the old as patterns, sometimes things did not fit as exact as I would like - hanging the overheads was a bear when I tried to used the original screw holes - I finally drilled new holes - much easier -

So now its ready for its first short trip - had to admit I'm a little uneasy after all of this that the exterior rivets won't pop off, axles, springs and wheels don't fall off or ride too rough, the paint doesn't peel off the interior, the upper cabinets don't fall off - etc etc etc..... I'm not counting on much sleep the first night.........

I used birch plywood and poplar facing - if I had to do it again I would have used birch facing - its hard to find good clear poplar.

Ken J
Rally
restoration rally
Old 08-07-2006, 12:30 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Richard and Brad

Yes for sure we will be camping with guys again - I can't believe I've been out of it for so long - I really miss seeing all my Airstream friends! However, we are back! and looking forward to lots of time "in" the trailer rather than "under" the trailer
Rally
restoration rally
Old 10-09-2006, 08:22 PM   #98
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Our first trip

Welp - here it is our first trip in the "new" trailer - and ....... nothing fell off!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dscf0038.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	26809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dscf0040.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	26810  

Rally
restoration rally
Old 10-09-2006, 08:26 PM   #99
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Looking mighty fine, Ken. KOA? Which one?
Congratulations, dear friend! Finally got it out of the barn! The fact that nothing fell off is largely due to your great work!
Old 10-09-2006, 08:34 PM   #100
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Uwe

Thanks - it was at the KOA in Albuquerque - ummm a mere 15 miles from my house - but I did "take it for a ride" on Sunday for a bit and everything I started out with was still there when I got home - even took if over some rough highway - some things got bounced around a bit - but otherwise towed great. Next big trip is the Crane Festival in Nov - that will be a much longer trip.
Rally
restoration rally

Tags
1958, 1958 overlander