Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1954 - 1959 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #141
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Hey Ken, just saw you post on another thread about selling your Overlander and picking up a FC. Whoever bought your Olander is a lucky person, but maybe not as lucky as your new FC is going to be.

So, do you have a thread dedicated to the reno of the FC yet? I enjoy watching your work and look forward to seeing what you do with the new one.

Good luck!
-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #142
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Thank you - I been thinking I should do a thread on the FC - this trailer has somewhat of a history - it belonged to someone who was caravan leader with Wally over in Europe - in fact its pictured in that 1957 National Geographic Article - so with this one, I paying more attention to restoration to original - which means I've been spending a lot of time sanding old cabinets I am taking tons of pictures as I go along

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #143
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J View Post
Thank you - I been thinking I should do a thread on the FC ... .

Yes, I wish you would! I really enjoyed your wood work on the Overlander, so I'd be especially interested in how you're preserving/renewing the original cabinetry on an historical trailer like this one. Sounds like an awesome project, please do keep us posted on your progress. I know how much extra work it takes to document your work, so it's always very much appreciated.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #144
1 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
san antonio , Texas
front gaucho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J View Post
I am really seeing the end of the tunnel now - front gaucho is finished and installed - also a picture of Lewster himself installing my new a/c.

Next job is to finish my polish job and remove those ugly swirls.

Ken J.

I know it's been a while since you finished, but do you happen to have any notes from when you built the front gaucho. Mine is missing so I have no pattern to go by.

-kevin
26-7140
rusty_apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #145

1958 26' Overlander
Fairbanks , Alaska
1958 Overlander rear exit window

Hi All. I'm restoring a '58 Overlander and in the past, someone cut a door into the rear of the trailer. I'm removing the door and fabricating new panels from aircraft aluminum. Unfortunately, I don't know the dimensions of the original window. I need them to leave the appropriate sized opening and to find the window. Could someone measure one for me and pass along the info.

Thanks!
johnsims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #146
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsims View Post
Hi All. I'm restoring a '58 Overlander and in the past, someone cut a door into the rear of the trailer. I'm removing the door and fabricating new panels from aircraft aluminum. Unfortunately, I don't know the dimensions of the original window. I need them to leave the appropriate sized opening and to find the window. Could someone measure one for me and pass along the info.

Thanks!
Fabricating end panels with the compound curves will be a challenge and I look forward to seeing your progress. It would be best to source the window first and then cut the opening to fit. If you cut the opening first, you're stuck with a certain size window and have seriously limited your options.

Best of luck,

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:04 AM   #147
1 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
san antonio , Texas
If you haven't bought the panels yet, you might wait for a good end cap to come along. The drive down to the lower 48 might be time better spent than manufacturing a new one. I'm also not sure if the same alloy is still available, so you may end up with a different hue after polishing. If you aren't doing a concourse restoration it doesn't matter and a window from a later model will do.
If you're dead set on finding the original window, the hole would be 39-1/4"x18-1/4" (Hehr-1009-1940E) That is to the inside of the frame, so you can trim out the extra 1/4" or so when you find that rare as hens teeth window, and frame. Good luck, I've had my eye out for one for my '58 for over a year now.
I'd like to know how many years they used that window. Best of luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsims View Post

Thanks!
rusty_apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #148
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
If you're dead set on finding the original window, the hole would be 39-1/4"x18-1/4" (Hehr-1009-1940E) That is to the inside of the frame, so you can trim out the extra 1/4" or so when you find that rare as hens teeth window, and frame. Good luck, I've had my eye out for one for my '58 for over a year now.

I've been on the hunt for 3 of those Hehr standard windows you talk about, so I've been kicking around the idea of making the window and so far This is what i have.I still need to work the vertical braces.
I'm using a hurricane hinge since I can't find anyone who can copy the original rolled hinge but Aerowood suggested an aluminum continuous hinge which makes much more sense if a lot cheaper as well.

What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2742118757.png
Views:	124
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	188659  
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #149

1958 26' Overlander
Fairbanks , Alaska
Brad and RA. Thanks for the advice. I've started work on finding the window prior to cutting anything. Brad a huge thank you for the dimensions you provided. Rusty, I wish a trip through the lower 48 was possible right now. I think my next best option is to contact Airstream to see if they have any specs on the aluminum used in '57/'58. If so, my local shop can try to locate and order. If not, I'll see if they can order and ship from Airstream or their supplier.

DA27, the window looks great.

Once I start the teardown process I'll open a thread and post periodic photos and info. It's a 2 year project for me as I'm taking my time and want to finish up in Spring of 2015 when we take her back across country on our move to Georgia.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #150
3 Rivet Member

1958 17' Pacer
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Tryon , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertair27 View Post

I've been on the hunt for 3 of those Hehr standard windows you talk about, so I've been kicking around the idea of making the window and so far This is what i have.I still need to work the vertical braces.
I'm using a hurricane hinge since I can't find anyone who can copy the original rolled hinge but Aerowood suggested an aluminum continuous hinge which makes much more sense if a lot cheaper as well.

What do you think?
I have one of those rare as hens teeth window frames I may want to part with. I've been holding on to it because I've wanted to trade it for an earlier style hehr, but that's the one I can't find.
Jimbcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #151

1958 26' Overlander
Fairbanks , Alaska
Jim. Just replied to your PM. Let me know if you didn't recieve it. Thanks and look forward to talking to you.

Tags
1958, 1958 overlander