Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1954 - 1959 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-31-2011, 09:37 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
1957 Overlander wants to come home with me...

after completing our 62 GT (19') in sept 2010, and only 2 trips in (granted the first trip was a month long!) i knew i needed a bigger trailer to spend more time in. I had been looking for a 1954 - 1957, 26' whale tail ... ok, maybe i started looking long before the 62 was even finished.

well, don't get too excited - its not a whale tail. but the deposit arrived at the sellers, he seems to be an honest guy and is holding the trailer until we can pick it up in 2 weeks (next week we move to NC - see screen name

its gutted, will need floor replaced and frame repair (hopefully not replacement). but the skin looks awesome. I told myself i wouldnt pay more than 2k for the next trailer, and this one comes in well under that. Amazingly i found it on CL and it had been there for 10+ days. WTH are you guys doing that no one found it before me?! suddenly, your jobs and family have become more important than looking for craislist finds!?

I'm psyched. i already have the layout mocked up. Dare i add it to my profile yet? I won't, i don't want to curse it

the outside looks way better than the inside, so /...don't be too jealous
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
THATS NICE! You are taking on that big a project...and a move at the same time.
Let me know if it ever wants to move to Texas. (I doubt that will happen.)
Old 03-31-2011, 09:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Looks like a great project.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
You don't need a whale tail--you've got 13 panels!

Skin looks great and it seems to have all the windows still there and that is a really important thing.

Good luck with it.

cheers,
steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Venice , Florida
Is it an optical illusion, or is that one long trailer for a single axle?
Old 03-31-2011, 10:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
So pretty! Congrats!
Old 03-31-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
sank you, sank you berry much.

yea, its 26' with a single axle. i believe its the last yr they did 26' with one axle. two axles were an upgrade in '57.

it is quite the project, i have a farmhouse to reno first, so this one will wait a bit til we tackle her. or, maybe ill work on it when i get bored of renovating the farmhouse.

i do have some concern though, my aluminitis has spread to my dad - when i told him about the trailer, he didn't say "congrats" or "what the heck were you thinking" - instead he offered to pay me twice what i am paying for it and i haven't even taken delivery yet!

i turned him down. HAHA.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:48 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Burnsville , North Carolina
VERY VERY COOL! Does the farm have a nice barn to house the restoration? Maybe you should stop and see Frank on your way down from NJ to NC?

What part of NC? Our family and friends have a place in Burnsville (45 mins. NE of Asheville almost in TN. B-E-A-UTIFUL!!!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
constructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:56 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
NJ-NC, Congrats on your find. I think I contacted that guy right after you. He said he would contact me if your deal fell through. Good luck with your find.
nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
Wow. Awesome! Congratulations
Looks fabulous!
Rae

via~ AIR Forums App.

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:00 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
Quote:
What part of NC? Our family and friends have a place in Burnsville
we looked at burnsville. we loved it, but got more acerage in rutherfordton - SE of asheville. i believe there are also a lot of organic farmers in burnsville, too. (thats what we are doing).

nick, ill trade ya for the 53 cruiser

rae, i have followed your thread before i knew about this trailer. maybe i can get in touch with you in the future if i have Q's ?
Old 03-31-2011, 04:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Jealousy here for sure...I can't find a 13 panel worthy of restoration to save my life it seems. Looking for the better part of 8 months, and nothing so far.

Nice find.

Steve
Old 03-31-2011, 05:35 PM   #13
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
You are so lucky!!! Those long girls on a single axle are beyond sexy in my book and it has the good looking 13 panels instead of the corner cutting Dutchman's cap or Whale Tail some get stuck owning. Ohio 13 panel trailers are the the better end cap in my never humble opinion.
I am right between NJ and NC and my door is always open. Please do stop by if you get a chance. Very easy to 95 or 895 on the North side of the tunnels. I might even have some very hard to find 57 parts on the shelf.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:15 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoNC

we looked at burnsville. we loved it, but got more acerage in rutherfordton - SE of asheville. i believe there are also a lot of organic farmers in burnsville, too. (thats what we are doing).

nick, ill trade ya for the 53 cruiser

rae, i have followed your thread before i knew about this trailer. maybe i can get in touch with you in the future if i have Q's ?
I'm just getting started But I'll definitely try to help, if I can, when that time comes! This summer I will be working full time on mine, so should be some good stuff happening. Right now I've just got her down to the shell, waiting to get inside for liftoff. Your body looks to be in great condition. And you've got a few extra parts that I don't have!! Lucky you on the door handle and the stove vent. Did you day that you didn't have an interior? Are you thinking of a custom layout or do you need the traditional layout measurements? I can provide approx. dimensions (every shell is a tad bit unique) if you want them. I love the Asheville area, lucky you to be moving there. What kind of organic farming?
Rae

via~ AIR Forums App.

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:20 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoNC View Post
sank you, sank you berry much.

yea, its 26' with a single axle. i believe its the last yr they did 26' with one axle. two axles were an upgrade in '57.

it is quite the project, i have a farmhouse to reno first, so this one will wait a bit til we tackle her. or, maybe ill work on it when i get bored of renovating the farmhouse.

i do have some concern though, my aluminitis has spread to my dad - when i told him about the trailer, he didn't say "congrats" or "what the heck were you thinking" - instead he offered to pay me twice what i am paying for it and i haven't even taken delivery yet!

i turned him down. HAHA.
Let your dad buy it and fix it and then you just borrow it when you want to go camping. That's what my kids would do.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
Quote:
Did you day that you didn't have an interior? Are you thinking of a custom layout or do you need the traditional layout measurements? I can provide approx. dimensions (every shell is a tad bit unique) if you want them. I love the Asheville area, lucky you to be moving there. What kind of organic farming?
no interior, its gutted. it will be a frame off - the frame needs repair, hopefully not to be replaced. we are doing a custom layout - we have a rear bath in the 62 GT and want to do a side bath here. we will do a queen bed in the rear. i did a quickie sketch in photoshop - it also includes space for birdie cages, as they don't really have a "home" in the current little As.

my husband was an investment banker on Wall st and hated every minute of the last 5 years. so he quit and is going to farm just about everything - be a 'truck farmer' - plant and sell whats in season at farmers markets; berries, fruit, nuts, vegetables, etc. and i plan to keep bees and make honey. we will have chickens and goats and my long term plan is to learn how to make cheese and make goat cheeses and goat milk soaps.

my "real" job is to do internet marketing for attorneys - that will "pay the bills". since i can work from anywhere we plan to travel in winter in the bigger AS.

in the layout - its a rear bed - the back half of the bed will be storage accessible from outside. the front half are cages for the birds - the bed will be raised, BTW - maybe 2.5 ft? the kitchen will be almost original location. the front gaucho will not pull out and instead wrap around. across from kitchen is shower , wardrobe and pantry. between bed and kitchen on streetside is toilet / sink. i dont actually know this will work yet, we'll lay it out in real life first and see. thoughts on it?

Quote:
Let your dad buy it and fix it and then you just borrow it when you want to go camping. That's what my kids would do.
hm, good strategy. if i stayed in NJ id take your advice! unfortunately we'd have to drive 10 hrs now to borrow it. Sob. gonna miss my pops. and his tools.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey

Old 04-01-2011, 02:27 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey

yep, thats the ground you see under there. now is the whole frame rotten, or just under the bathroom ? not so jealous anymore huh?
Old 04-01-2011, 02:52 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
From what I can see, it doesn't look too bad. Mine was similar back there. If you're going to be adding tanks in the frame, you wind up moving crossmembers usually anyway.

I added both fresh and gray tanks to the frame and I used 2x4 tubing, like the main frame rails, for the replacement crossmembers. It's much stronger now.

cheers,
steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:54 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
My 53 was the same way. I just finished rewelding the frame, well I still have a few little things left to weld.

BTW: I would be willing to trade but you would need a uhaul to collect all the parts spread about the yard in different sheds :-)

The dismantling part has been very scary and sometimes overwhelming. Good luck to you on your project. Keep us up to date on your progress.
nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1957, 1957 overlander