Old 07-08-2010, 11:40 AM   #1
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
1957 Overlander eBay transaction cancelled

Hi, Forum friends,

I posted a hopeful thread a few weeks ago about winning a 57 Overlander on eBay and began working on getting her back to Indiana. Today, I agreed with the seller to cancel the transaction. He's a nice guy, but there were too many issues on both sides of the deal.

For starters, the title: seller had no title, had not even attempted to apply for one at the end of the auction, and as of this morning, it looks like it will take a while to get that worked out. The seller was willing to hold off on the deal until the title was cleared up, but he's in Idaho, and the summer is passing too quickly already, and I'm running out of opportunity to make the journey before I am locked into a teaching job for the fall.

On my side of the equation: My cash flow is too shallow to afford to hire a hauler cross-country. By the time I got enough photos to evaluate the running gear for a tow, I realized that hauling is the only option. I don't have a flat-bed trailer.

I still was hopeful, and had determined that I would take the hubs, brakes, and wheels from my 68 Trade Wind out to Idaho and make the best of the resources I had. Photos confirmed this would work. And, the bumpy ride home might have scared out a few more critters who had moved in from the years of life in a field. Maybe.

The transaction came down to title and transport. Too many troubles on both sides of the deal.

Nice seller is releasing me from the deal. I hope he will relist and the Overlander will be found by someone who can give her a nice new home.

I hope someone might learn from my experience.

Consolation: I still have the 68 Trade Wind, and I need to check the bearings, brakes, and get new axles, anyway.

Condition at conclusion: I still have aluminitis. One day, the cash flow will improve and I will be able to scratch that itch for a 1957 Airstream.

Plan B: a man in Indianapolis has started a business restoring 68-72 half- and three-quarter ton vehicles such as Suburbans, Land Rovers, etc., for hunting, fishing, etc. I have my eye on a 69 Suburban and a fly-fishing themed overhaul for trailer and tow vehicle. Might keep me out of trouble on eBay for a while.

1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
OO , OO
Send a message via Skype™ to cruiser54
Oh no, the nice trip!
But with so many problems....

Old 07-08-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
More noise, less signal

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I don't think any apologies are necessary when walking away from a purchase that does not include a valid title with properly filled out transfer paperwork -- unless from the beginning it was made clear that the sale would not include a title.

I'm amazed how many people try to sell a car, truck, or trailer and then can't come up with the title or disclose that the title has defects (unreleased lien, signed in blank years ago by previous owner, lists joint owner who isn't available/willing to sign, etc etc etc etc) only at the conclusion of negotiations.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
57 Overlander

Cruiser, Jammer -- thanks for your comments; no big trip, no 57 Airstream, but no tears; with over 75% of all Airstreams ever built still in use, there will be another chance later
Old 07-08-2010, 03:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Title troubles...

Anne, So Sorry to hear of your title issues with the '57. I know exactly what you are going thru. Last fall (Sept. '09) I agreed to purchase a '64 Holiday Rambler 22 foot trailer from a storage lot. The owner showed up with the title so I thought everything would be fine as I live in the same state as it was titled in previously. He gave the trailer to me as he could not find the keys to show the interior and said... if I paid a locksmith to make a key it would cost me about $100.00 so, as that was what he wanted for the trailer I could just take the title and have it transferred to me! Great Huh? I thought so too! However, It seems the title was not ever transferred to him by the previous owner (his neighbor). So I had to get paperwork from them stating that the trailer had been given to him and then "sold" to me. In the end it was 7 months of running around and dealing with the state DMV to get the title & registration/plates issued in my name. It also cost me extra to transfer title from (the neighbor) to him and then from him to me! Good that the seller let you out of the deal as now you can worry about your disease (aluminitis) and pick up a '57 on a better time table and perhaps closer to home. Happy Trails, Ed
AIR#7110

"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat!
When I looked at the tire... I noticed your CAT!"
Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:30 PM   #6
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
BigED -- 7 months! wow, what a pain. This has been instructive, at least. More questions up front, fewer headaches later.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Yep!!

I knew you could relate to my tail of the trailer. LOL! I do have it in my name and it will be towed home from Michigan in the near future to park in the driveway with the Land Shark! Happy Trails, Ed

AIR#7110

"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat!
When I looked at the tire... I noticed your CAT!"
Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1957, 1957 overlander